Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have recently been reading through the deamon codex to try and use some as allies with my Imperial guards.

I have been reading though the Excess powers and unless i am wrong, these are amazingly strong when combines with Imperial guards psyker battle squad.

i was mostly looking at the Pavane power where a unit must make a leadership test and if failed it takes a wound with no armour or cover saves, if the model dies, repeat with another model etc until the unit is dead or successfully passes a ld test.

It appears to me that using weaken resolves on that unit before, reducing their ld to 2 is a sure way to annihilate a unit quite fast....am i missing something?

the other power (roll of 5-6) don'T know the name in english, seems a little bit less powerful but still is quite devastating combined with weaken resolve....

Am i missing something? I have never seen anyone talking about this or using this combination...i have a game this friday and i am planning on trying this...

let me know if this can be done..

Regards

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Isn't the ldr reduction power really short range? Want to say it was like 12" and the unit couldn't be in a transport to cast it. Could be wrong though.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
Pavane is 24" , Weaken Resolve is 36".

Weaken resolve can't be used from a vehicle

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is no need to put IG Psyker battle squad in a vehicle, place them inside a ruin and they have access to most of the troops coming towards you....I never had to move them much and they, most of the time, perform really well.

Combines with Some of those Slaanesh powers, they can be quite strong...and i am not even talking about FEAR...

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Wow that sounds amazing! You do have to roll that power though and unless you take a mastery level 3 psyker an roll them all on slaanesh (which some would see as a waste, I personally love the slaanesh Nd nurgle powers) you wouldn't be able to guarantee it

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow that sounds amazing! You do have to roll that power though and unless you take a mastery level 3 psyker an roll them all on slaanesh (which some would see as a waste, I personally love the slaanesh Nd nurgle powers) you wouldn't be able to guarantee it
No i would not be able to guarantee it that is for sure, but given the fact that a roll of 3-4-5 or 6 gives me a power usable in combination with weaken resolve, that could be worth at least a roll. On a deamon prince, that could be a devastating combination...and if you are real lucky, a good roll on biomancy can increase that even more....

That was just a though...

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
If your Daemon Prince gets Pavane, you can always switch over Telepathy too, and get Psychic Shriek--3D6 wounds, no armor or cover, minus LD2. Nasty.

The downside of Pavane is that it isn't as useful against enemies with an LD save or multi-wound models, which tend to be small enough units that Shriek would handle it neatly. Also, there is the fact that your opponent gets two chances to deny the witch, and if either passes, your combo is much less effective.

But yeah, there are some nasty LD based combos between IG and Slaaneshi daemons. Weaken Resolve plus Fear, the Doomstone, Pavane, Psychic Shriek, Dominate, etc. Lovely!

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
The Psychic Shriek + Weaken Resolve combo is something like a 47% to do any damage due to the LD9 psychic test, Deny the Witch, another psychic test, another Deny, a roll to hit, and then a roll for damage. Factor in ranges and any additional psychic defence and it's a pretty gimmicky stratagem.

Pavane + Weaken Resolve sounds good, but is both a GIGANTIC threat involving very fragile models (T2 dudes with no armour, hooray!), and also very unreliable compared to even something like Combat Tactics.

But it certainly has potential and if you got it off, you'd probably kill a unit with it unless it was something with an Invuln.

Midnight

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Psychic Shriek + Weaken Resolve combo is something like a 47% to do any damage due to the LD9 psychic test, Deny the Witch, another psychic test, another Deny, a roll to hit, and then a roll for damage. Factor in ranges and any additional psychic defence and it's a pretty gimmicky stratagem.
You got that right, i tried pulling this stunt more than once and i failed a lot more than i succedded. That being said, when it works...ouch....

Tonight i played a game against Orks with my IG and very little deamon allies. The GUO was simply amazing with Iron Arms it simply ate the Nobs biker squad....

I had two greater gifts so i switched one for the sword (Instant death)....combine with the Psyker battle squad and Fear, they barely touched him and the instant death capability of the sword was simply horrible.....His Lord died very fast and the rest followed next.

I am starting to like deamons a lot, the Gifts and psychic powers are really cool.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts