Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have a skimmer, we'll use a Talos is this case...

Can it assault a squad inside a building by moving 3 inches towards the building, six inches up, and 3 more inches in? He rolled a difficult terrain of 6, and he's assaulting a squad on the second level of a standard GW building.

Essentially the Talos needed to move 3 or 4 inches to be able to get to the area allowing him to go up something like 6 inches. Then he still had a few inches to make it before he could even assault.

His arguement is the Talos is a skimmer and therefore ignores all terrain so he is allowed to make moves like that. Mine is that he is assaulting into the front of the building, which is very difficult terrain and therefore difficult even for a skimmer.....

We ended up playing it out that he could make it since I was tired of argueing with him about it... I also ended up slaughtering it with my Death Company and a roll of 1 from a special rule in his codex on the Talos(I'm guessing something to do with difficult terrain).

·
Registered
15 Posts
The rulebook says said:
When a unit is moved, it can travel up and/or down the same distance as it moves along, subject to Difficult Terrain rules. For example, if a unit moves 6" into a building, then it could be placed 6" above ground level inside that building as well.
Pretty clear t'be honest, if he's moving (or assaulting) 6" in, he's allowed to float up the same 6", whether he's a Skimmer or Infantry or Jump Infantry or Vehicle or anything else. The diagram above that quote also shows a model moving 6" from outside a building to "into" a building, and then floating up.

So yeah, legal charge mate - as long as he moved a total of 6", he can move "up" or "down" 6" too - being a Skimmer or not has nothing to do with it though and yes, if a Talos moves into or through Difficult Terrain it has to roll a D6 , if it rolls a 1 it takes a wound with no armour save allowed - but it doesn't actually make Difficult Terrain rolls as it "may move over [it] without penalty". So in fact the only thing "wrong" here was his rolling a Difficult Terrain test to assault into the building ;).

·
Inquisitor
963 Posts
Unfortunately its legal. As said before.. anything you can move horizontally across the board you can move vertically up the terrain and the Talos being a skimmer is allowed to ignore difficult terrain. Hopefully that will be something addressed in the Dark Eldar re-write sometime this year.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats annoying because it essentially defeats the purpose of buildings providing cover. Not to mention it adds extra inches to an assault move of 6. :crazy: This Dark Eldar player is really starting to drive me crazy.... Although I did almost beat him this time.....even with him having the upper hand. We played a short board, low points(I play BA so it's tougher for me at low points), and well he's DA. :laugh: I guess deploying close to the board edge does have it's advantages, even if you don't get the first turn. :wink:

·
Banned
280 Posts
Thats annoying because it essentially defeats the purpose of buildings providing cover. Not to mention it adds extra inches to an assault move of 6. :crazy: This Dark Eldar player is really starting to drive me crazy.... Although I did almost beat him this time.....even with him having the upper hand. We played a short board, low points(I play BA so it's tougher for me at low points), and well he's DA. :laugh: I guess deploying close to the board edge does have it's advantages, even if you don't get the first turn. :wink:
It doesn't add any inches at all. You move vertically as far as you do horizontally, no extras.

And that's just what some units do, and it doesn't defeat the purpose of buildings providing cover. It still provides all the normal benefits of cover in CC, it just doesn't slow this type of enemy down (although in return it has the potential to kill it for you). I don't see you complaining about Bikes, so why pick on the Talos?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One Im using the Talos as an example and it just happens to be the unit that he was using to do this. Besides, bikes have to make terrain tests. The only reason the Talos does is it has a special rule that says it does. And two, I totally understand the point that you move up and down 6" blah blah, I get that. But are you allowed to move 4-5 inches to the shortest section of wall, since the closest wall you are near is 10 inches, then go up 6 inches and finish your move by moving the extra 1-2 inches inwards.....essentially moving right 4 inches, up 6, then left 2.

If so I'm going to have to start doing something similar with my land speeders than since they are also skimmers. :biggrin: Let me put it this way, we really need to figure out the rule of skimmers and size of skimmers and what they are allowed to do(we being the guys I play with). Like is a Necron Monolith allowed to leap over structures half its size?? It's a skimmer so terrain doesnt matter to it.....

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
no way do you move 6 inches up and down.. they don't do it when going over terrain why then ? its a skimmer skimmmer

1 - 8 of 8 Posts