Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm thinking about starting a horde army for Fantasy. Skaven appeal to me but I want to keep the number of models I have to buy and paint to a manageable size at least to start with. We generally play 2000 points at the club so that's the minimum size army. I've done some trial lists that run to 190 models but I'm thinking of going for an 'elite' Skaven army to start with based around Clan Mors.

So thoughts/criticisms are welcome. So are any thoughts on the key issues that puzzle me namely:-
1. How effective are the big (expensive) models like the Screaming Bell and Plague Furnace?
2. What's the view on Skaven magic - is it best to concentrate on the fighters and just take dispel scroll caddies?
3. What's viewed as the best bang for buck amongst the weapon teams?

General - Queek -215

Queek's Stormvermin (ie upgraded) - 24 incl Full Command, Poisoned Attacks for Fanleader, Banner of Clan Superiority, plus attached Ratling Gun team - 413

Warlock Engineer - Lvl 2 Wizard,Dispel Scroll, Warp Energy Condenser -145

Warlock's Clanrats -24 incl Full Command - Spear and Shield plus attached Ratling Gun Team - 195

Plague Priest Lvl 2 Wizaed, 2x Dispel Scroll -201

Plague Monks - 25 incl Full Command and Plague Banner - 230

Clanrats - 25 incl Full Command- Spear and Shield plus attached Ratliong Gun Team -200

Gutter Runners - 5 incl Deathrunner - Poisoned Attacks - 97

Warplock Jezzails - 3 teams incl Sharpshooter - 70

Censer Bearers - 5 Plague rats - 80

Doomwheel - 150 (I have an old painted metal one :))

Fire away!!

Thanks
TT

·
Registered
267 Posts
I like the idea of a having a Skaven army but without all the infantry. The list looks pretty effective to me.

1. How effective are the big (expensive) models like the Screaming Bell and Plague Furnace?
2. What's the view on Skaven magic - is it best to concentrate on the fighters and just take dispel scroll caddies?
3. What's viewed as the best bang for buck amongst the weapon teams?

1. Plague Furnace is very effective in competitive games, sceaming bell is not as good
2. Depends wheaver you take the grey seer or not. I would just take caddies
3. Best weapon now I think is the warpfire thrower (everything underneath the template gets hit

Skar

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Skar tooth that's helpful.

Based on that I might swap out the Doomwhell for the Plague Furnace and drop the Censer Bearers for more Jezzails. That should also allow me to upgrade a couple of the Ratling Guns for Warpfire Throwers.

Anyone else with any comments or have I exhausted people's knowledge of Skaven so easily?

Regards
TT

·
Registered
135 Posts
Its good just remember that gutter runners are not skirmishers anymore so thier pretty much dead

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the Gutter Runners are still skirmishers. It's their lesser bretheren - the Nightrunners - who aren't.

Regards
C

·
Registered
135 Posts
o yea my apologies i got them mixed up

1 - 6 of 6 Posts