7 Linerats 350,000

1 Thrower 70,000

2 Gutter Runners 160,000

2 Stormvermin 180,000

2 Rerolls 120,000

7 Fan Factor 70,000

Apothecary 50,000

Total Cost 1,000,000

Alright this is what, I myself and a friend have thought would be a good start, i was reading up that skaven die easy due to low armour so i thought an apot might help me out a little to keep in my runners and stormvermins.

Any tips would be great thanks!

·
Registered
723 Posts
reads quite good. very solid. you'll have fun with them.
and yes, they suffer quite badly vs bashing teams. dwarves will be the horror for you. so many blocks and tackles. once they have the ball, you're practically out of options to get it back. and if you're going to face dwarves more often, consider reducing the fan factor and get an addintional linerat. you'll need it.
otherwise you'll love your gutter runners ;)

cheers

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
As far as Skaven teams go, it's a fairly common initial set-up.

However, unless you plan on playing a heavy blocking game (for skaven, at least), I would heartily recommend that you ditch at least 1 of the Stormvermin (personally I'd ditch both) for Gutter Runners and use the extra money, along with a lot of the dosh you've spent on Fan Factor, for an extra player...probably a Thrower. Doing this, you end up with the following:

140k 2 Throwers
320k 4 Gutter Runners
350k 7 Linerats
120k 2 Re-Rolls
50k Apothecary
20k 2 Fan Factor

An alternative would be to lose the Apothecary and 1 FF for an extra Re-Roll (seeing as the 'poth will still cost 50k later, whilst the Re-Roll will cost you 120k later on).

13 is a lucky number for Skaven, so starting your team with 13 players is auspicious (not to mention the fact that it gives you an extra spare...trust me, you'll probably need it!).

Whilst most people will tell you that Stormvermin are essential to a Skaven team to help with your blocking game, DON'T LISTEN! Gutter Runners are your strength...capitalise on them. A Linerat is only marginally worse at blocking than a Stormvermin and is almost half the price. If you can afford it later, consider getting Stormvermin (to boost your blocking game a little), but early on I'd recommend developing your running game as quickly as possible...running the ball will win you games, hitting people won't.

Simply put, even with Stormvermin, Skaven aren't good enough at hitting people for it to be a solid core tactic for them; they're too squishy to stand up in a protracted melee (Skaven are one of the weakest teams going, when it comes to the blocking game...only Goblins, Halflings, Lizardmen and Ogres have more ST<3 players on their team and the latter two of those are balanced by the fact that they get more ST>3 players than any other team! Other teams, like Humans and Wood Elves, might have equal number of ST:2 players, but they get more players with Block and/or higher AV, making Skaven weaker, blocking-wise). On the flipside, you can outrun pretty much any other team (with the possible exception of Wood Elves), so make the most of it; you don't actually need an awful lot of players on the pitch, due to your high MV, to mount an effective offence or defence or indeed to be able to switch between the two at a moments notice (case in point; I recently won a match 4-0 with only 7 players on the pitch for about three quarters of the game due to early injuries. With starting TV1000 teams, btw).

Most people underestimate just how much of a difference the extra point or two of MV makes...if you can master the nuances of that little bit of extra speed, you can be almost unstoppable if you can avoid getting bogged in a melee. The 1st thing to playing a Skaven team is to evade, evade and evade again...if you get hit, it'll hurt (most likely), so don't get hit. Don't mark players by sticking a tackle zone on them, stand one square away so they have to either blitz you (which they can only do once per turn), go around (which takes up more of their precious MV) or dodge through (which can be risky at best for a lot of teams). If you can get it so that you can only be hit once or twice per turn, your low AV isn't so much of an issue and you're not wasting MV standing up...remember; a Linerat only has an effective MV of 4 if he starts every turn on the ground. With such high MV, you can take advantage of any mistake your opponent makes...all you have to do is slow him down enough for that mistake to happen. Once it does, you can get in, get the ball, get out and score, from almost anywhere on the pitch. You have the ability to use the entire pitch as your playground; do it. Slow teams like Dwarves and Orcs will be left spitting dirt if you can get the ball away from their precious "cages" and there's often literally nothing they can do about it because they can't keep pace (either that or they have to split their forces to maintain a deep defence, which means that their cage is weaker and thus more likely to falter).

As your team develops, your Gutter Runners will get a lot of SPPs very quickly as they rack up the Touchdowns. The 1st skill you should give them is Leap. It's almost cheating to have a line-up of 4 Leaping Gutter Runners. After that, I recommend either Block, Side Step and Sure Hands (if you plan on using them incautiosly) or Sprint, Sure Feet and Catch (if you plan on keeping them out of harms way). The former makes them much better defensively; with Block, Dodge and Side Step, it's almost impossible to put them down and if pushed back, you get to choose where he goes. Sure Hands is just to prevent Strip Ball. The latter makes them formidable runners; 12 squares of movement in any direction (literally, due to Leap) is, simply put, scary. It's almost half the pitch and only +1MV away from a 1-turn-TD player.

The rest of your team should be developed appropriately; Throwers get passing skills like Accurate and Safe Throw. If you're feeling chancy, give them some defensive skills like Block or Wrestle so they can better double as Linerats in a pinch. Linerats should be developed in one of two ways; Meat-Shield or Spanner-In-The-Works. Meat-Shield Linerats get skills like Strip Ball, Block and Dauntless; they're there to provide a little muscle when it's needed (obviously, a Stormvermin is better suited to this role if you have them). Spanner-In-The-Works Linerats are more common on my teams; Shadowing, Pass Block and Tackle are excellent anti-Elf skills and really don't hurt against bashy teams like Orcs either...against Elves (and some Humans), who play a more fluid game with lots of dodging and passing, Shadowing and Pass Block let you maintain your MV advantage by moving your players on your opponents turn. Tackle and Shadowing stops them dodging too much. Against the bashy teams, those same skills are just as useful because bashy teams tend to make much fewer passes and dodges but (and here's the real kicker) tend to rely on those passes and dodges a lot more; they'll go out of their way to get the most out of those few passes or dodges and make them as easy as possible, so if you can foul it up for them you've really put a cinch on their play. Don't forget, also, that Shadowing works against ANY movement, including following up a block; making it very useful against Frenzy and for isolating opposing players from their team-mates.

On "doubles" improvement rolls, it's very tempting to get Mutations for your players...I'd reccomend giving them Dodge instead (for non-Gutter Runners anyway). Defensively speaking (in a block-situation), it's better than Block and it also improves your maneuverability, which is your teams real strength. You'll certainly see a lot more Linerats with Dodge on my roster than you will Linerats with Horns or Prehensile Tail. Having said that, if you want something more exotic, many Mutations are pretty solid for a Linerat; Horns can give you some much-needed extra ST (not to mention the fact that horns are a sign of the Horned Rats favour!), Claw helps keep players on the floor and Tentacles, Disturbing Presence and Prehensile Tail are all good for S-i-t-W Linerats.

Skaven are an opportunistic team, not a reliable one. Speed is your strength, so use it to it's fullest. You can concentrate more players to more of the pitch in less time than any other team is capable of, which means you will usually outnumber your opponent at every position, even if you have less players on the pitch than he does (it doesn't sound plausible, but think about it for a second and it makes sense!). Don't get into a blocking match, because you'll end up as a greasy spot on the floor. If you can hold to these two tenets, you'll win more games than you lose.

Happy gaming!

Squeeeky McCheese, Head Coach The Horned Rats Heroes

1 - 5 of 5 Posts