Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone been watching?

Thoroughly disappointed with the Welsh team, right now. The Irish have hammered us two years in a row now - It's starting to get embarrassing. I didn't get to watch the Scotland game, but I heard that they didn't get off very well, either.

France and Italy tomorrow - Not sure if I'm going to watch, yet. I'm not really a fan of the Italians, their games tend to leave me feeling pitiful and bored. :p

I'm still hoping that Wales will pick our game up. If we can pull it back, though I'm doubtful right now, it'll be our third win in as many tournaments.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Yeah I've been watching. To be honest before the 6 nations started I read in a few places that Ireland were the favourites. Wales have been disappointing but Ireland, especially the forwards, were on top of their game today and Wales didn't seem to have a plan B!! England done well, was a comfortable win in the end. I actually enjoy watching England play at the moment as the team have the potential to beat anybody and really should have beat France last week!!

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Sorry, a little thing called Olympic's mate. Cheers to your team though, hope they win.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I've been watching. To be honest before the 6 nations started I read in a few places that Ireland were the favourites. Wales have been disappointing but Ireland, especially the forwards, were on top of their game today and Wales didn't seem to have a plan B!! England done well, was a comfortable win in the end. I actually enjoy watching England play at the moment as the team have the potential to beat anybody and really should have beat France last week!!
Wales played abysmally. The Irish are a top-notch team, and I didn't have high hopes after the Italian game. We're missing something, this year, and I can't got pinpoint what - We've got a strong side, too; I, personally, rate Halfpenny as the best kicker in the world, he's phenomenal. Might be a bit biased, of course!

I saw the England-France game, and thought it was brilliant, though I was already smashed by then! Admittedly, I was rooting for the French - (I'm Welsh, you'll understand why. :p) - But England still played well. I've got a feeling that the Italians will beat a 'big,' team, this year, but I'm not sure which. We'll have to wait and see about that one. The odds of Wales winning are nigh-on impossible, now. I think we need France to lose, tomorrow, and for us to beat Scotland, France and England - Can't see that happening. :/

Sorry, a little thing called Olympic's mate. Cheers to your team though, hope they win.
Six Nations is bigger, here, really. I know more people who've watched the Six Nations, this year, than the Olympics. Not sure what it's like in the other five countries - But I imagine it's the same for most Britons.

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Missed the Ireland - Wales game.

And watched the Scotland - England game in the boozer yesterday. :(

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
The Irish have hammered us two years in a row now
We hammered you in the first half last year, then you did the same to us in the second half. We were lucky to hang on for the win. This year though Schmidt has them running very smoothly, and it was one of the best performances by an Irish pack I've seen in years.

I've been a fan of the Welsh style of rugby for the last few years, but I think Gatland has done all he can there now. That's the same team that won the championship last year, but they looked nowhere near good enough to do it again this year.

Having watched both England games so far I must say I've seen nothing to impress me at all. They're trying to copy that Welsh style of big powerful direct runners, but with players not quite good enough. If we play like we did against Wales yesterday we shouldn't have any problems with them. We haven't really had any in the last few years.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
We hammered you in the first half last year, then you did the same to us in the second half. We were lucky to hang on for the win. This year though Schmidt has them running very smoothly, and it was one of the best performances by an Irish pack I've seen in years.
Irish played well but were far from convincing. The Irish lineout was immense but the scrumm didn't look so great. Wales were very poor at the breakdown and Irish blitz defense was very fast. A great game to watch.

I've been a fan of the Welsh style of rugby for the last few years, but I think Gatland has done all he can there now. That's the same team that won the championship last year, but they looked nowhere near good enough to do it again this year.
For all the Welsh talent the tactics are the same as the last 3 or 4 years. The forwards looked slow and cumbersome, and with the big crash backs being tackled early by Ireland they couldn't move the ball. Plus 17 penalties! A bad day at the office for Wales but too early to say Gatlands time is done (he will get a fair old time to turn Wales around).

Having watched both England games so far I must say I've seen nothing to impress me at all. They're trying to copy that Welsh style of big powerful direct runners, but with players not quite good enough. If we play like we did against Wales yesterday we shouldn't have any problems with them. We haven't really had any in the last few years.
I'm not sure they are trying to copy Wales to be fair. The conditions were not conducive to open attacking rugby, but Englands back still had a number of promising breaks on the outside. England forwards dominated the game and I am looking forward to the Ireland game at Twickenham in 2 weeks. It will be interesting to see how both teams match up.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I only watched the opening ceremony, and I was still disappointed by that.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
its too slow paced to watch, it almost as slow as watching NFL,its too stop start, league is much more entertaining.
League? Entertaining? :laugh:

Run tackle getup run tackle getup run tackle getup run tackle getup kick.
Other team get the ball.
Run tackle getup run tackle getup run tackle getup run tackle getup kick.
Other team get the ball.

Its just as stop start as union, but with fewer skills. Admittedly the league players tend to be fitter and generally hard as steel, but it is not as interesting a game.

This is definitely not something we would agree on though Bits.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, the Six Nations kick back off tonight, with the Wales-France game.

I'm a tad surprised that Gatland has chosen to drop Philips. Philips is a bit of a prick - He's too competitive, though that's not necessarily a bad thing - But he's a decent player. His replacement, Rhys Webb, is an unknown to me - I don't think I have ever seen him play. I'm hoping, so very much, that the Irish have taught us a valuable lesson, and that the week off is enough for us to pull it together - That being said, I don't think we're even in the running for winning the tournament, anymore, which is disappointing.

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
What a finish to the championship! I honestly went into the France game believing we'd lose it considering our history over there. It turned out to be a pretty exciting final day in the end, with three teams in with a chance of winning it. I know France had a slim chance, but on the day you can't put anything past them.

I will admit to a quiet chuckle and a touch of gloating when I saw this pic. The English lads really thought they had it in the bag. Thankfully it wasn't so, and BOD got a fitting send off in the same stadium that pretty much started it all for him.

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
I haz a very happy mother! :good:

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
It was a well deserved win to Ireland. There were a few things that could of swung it in Englands favour, but that late try in first game between England and France looks to have been one of the most important in the tournament.

I hope England can keep improving and manage to get a win down in New Zealand in the summer.

·
Registered
720 Posts
All I know is I'm delighted that Ireland won. Also the world has lost one of the greatest players in the northern hemisphere ever or indeed in the world. Thanks be the BOD.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It was a brilliant day of rugby.

I'm horribly disappointed with Wales, but I'm looking forwards to their South African tour come the Summer.

It's sad to see O'Driscoll go, but I'm sure the Irish will keep our trophy nice and warm for us, until next year. :p

·
Registered
720 Posts
It was a brilliant day of rugby.

I'm horribly disappointed with Wales, but I'm looking forwards to their South African tour come the Summer.

It's sad to see O'Driscoll go, but I'm sure the Irish will keep our trophy nice and warm for us, until next year. :p
Ye we'll see about that lad :so_happy: :laugh:.
Ye the world cup looks like it will be very interesting

1 - 17 of 17 Posts