Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

241 - 260 of 486 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
The original Sisters Codex wasn't that big! Interesting...

Though the WD one was still 15pages when I made it into a PDF, and that was cutting out the fluff and gumph. Add in backstory, more pictures, a few missions and formations... Yeah, I can see it getting quite big. But not *that* big... :)
2 iPad pages is roughly 1 normal sized page. So we have over 50 pages of stuff.

That's at least 20 more than what we had before.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Damn, who is going to pay +10 points for +1 LD, +1 A??? So you are paying 12+10 = 22 points for that one model.
I strongly suspect that, much like in Witch Hunters, the VSS also comes with a Faith Point or whatever will be needed to activate Acts of Faith in this Codex, so that things scale properly with the army again. Emperor (and GW) knows that a straight 1d6 no matter how many points you had on the table rarely seemed the right amount.

Note she already came with a slight surcharge in the WDex - a basic squad of 10 Battle Sisters costs 125 points there ( 10 * 12 leaves 5 points unaccounted for, which is the higher Ld). A 5 point adjustment doesn't seem THAT bad, especially if my suspicion above comes true.

Note the other adjustment as well... at 10 points, a Simulacrum actually starts looking interesting - admittedly depending on what it DOES in this Codex, but still!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
As for the Purge Squadron... That was in WD 384 before. I'm wondering if we'll actually get a new Formation or if this is just re-establishing the few ones that existed before the new Apocalypse came along. It does seem like it'd be a place where they could really add something new, though still made up of existing stuff.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I'd love Finecast Penitent Engines and Exorcists!
I'm convinced they made at least one Penitent Engine in Finecast. Check the White Dwarf Codex - one of the Penitent Engines in the pictures is balanced on one leg. I'm 90% sure that model is too top-heavy in metal for that pose to be possible, and there's some added slight conversions (like the bend 'toes' on the lifted leg) that at least suggest it was easier to modify than the metal one is.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
I'm convinced they made at least one Penitent Engine in Finecast. Check the White Dwarf Codex - one of the Penitent Engines in the pictures is balanced on one leg. I'm 90% sure that model is too top-heavy in metal for that pose to be possible, and there's some added slight conversions (like the bend 'toes' on the lifted leg) that at least suggest it was easier to modify than the metal one is.
Or it's a resin cast of the master (they do that so they don't damage the master when making a mold out of it).

·
Registered
398 Posts
I strongly suspect that, much like in Witch Hunters, the VSS also comes with a Faith Point or whatever will be needed to activate Acts of Faith in this Codex, so that things scale properly with the army again. Emperor (and GW) knows that a straight 1d6 no matter how many points you had on the table rarely seemed the right amount.

Note she already came with a slight surcharge in the WDex - a basic squad of 10 Battle Sisters costs 125 points there ( 10 * 12 leaves 5 points unaccounted for, which is the higher Ld). A 5 point adjustment doesn't seem THAT bad, especially if my suspicion above comes true.

Note the other adjustment as well... at 10 points, a Simulacrum actually starts looking interesting - admittedly depending on what it DOES in this Codex, but still!
We shall about the faith point thing, but even if it is true then faith powers better be more powerful than chapter tactics for SM who get them free compared to Adepta Sororitas in the case you stated. SM can also use the chapter tactics as many times as called for with 100% chance to actually use them. The previous listed faith powers were about the same power as chapter tactics, but could only be used 1D6 times per turn as an army, only on your turn, and with only about a 50% chance of success to get to use it.

So it may just kill me waiting for the codex to see what is in it.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
I was on 'Eavy Metal at the time of the Penitent Engine's release. Seb converted that one, and whilst a lot of it was metal, some bits were resin castings. We did get resins of a lot of models in when either the production metal castings or plastics weren't in yet.

The original Necron release - every necron in that was a resin cast, with the rods being done in green resin. The plastics weren't ready til almost the point of release, a month after we'd finished the colour section.

I'm oddly pleased that even this far on, a lot of the models in the new Sisters 'dex will be my handiwork :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm somewhat disappointed to see that Sisters are still 12 points a model, when they're worse than Chaos marines on all accounts and for just 1 less point. I guess the real divide will be the revamp of faith powers: I can still take 12 points per model if I get some actually useful faith powers in change, not 1d6 powers no matter the point level that only get off 50% of the time and only in my turn.

I'm also a little sad to see veteran superiors at 10 points, that's ridiculous, even if it's just "technically" a 5 points surcharge from the previous version, with the option to not get her at all if I'm not into that (unfortunately I'm into that, so I'll waste tens of points for nothing). On the other hand, I'm glad to see the simulacrum's cost halved, 20 points was pure, unadulterated bullshit.

And DEAR ME, FINALLY SOMEONE NOTICED THAT A MINIMUM SQUAD OF 10 WAS KIND OF STUPID.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Ah I see we reached the infamous turning point of bitching about not getting a codex at all and bitching about not liking what's in it:grin: I'm absolutely loving it and hoping for some plastic/resign models, if so I'm definetly starting a SoB army in the future!^^

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
What I really want to see is what they've done with the stuff that was (still) useless in the WDex. Notably Repentia and the Penitent Engine, both of which don't seem to fill any role but that of expensive ablative armour for the rest of the army. I've yet to see either actually ACHIEVE something beyond attracting enemy fire.

... Other than one battle in 5th that had a Space Marine blow up a Rhino with Repentia in it with a close by Land Raider as his last action in his Shooting Phase - only to then realize what that meant. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
GOD DAMN YOU GW! Just when I said I'm not wasting anymore money this month you have to come out with this..please tell me it's not released until the end of the month.

P.S. Wait...really 15 additional Sisters for a total of 20? That seems a bit much. Sigh looks like I know what allied detachment I'm going to start with, if the sisters are in plastic/ cheap :laugh: finecast

·
Registered
136 Posts
GOD DAMN YOU GW! Just when I said I'm not wasting anymore money this month you have to come out with this..please tell me it's not released until the end of the month.

P.S. Wait...really 15 additional Sisters for a total of 20? That seems a bit much. Sigh looks like I know what allied detachment I'm going to start with, if the sisters are in plastic/ cheap :laugh: finecast
Battle Sisters could go up to 20 since the Witch Hunter codex, so that's nothing new.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
As a long time (long suffering) SOB player I think that any attention the sisters get is good attention.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
In the WDdex both Repentia and Penitent Engines got a lot better than in C:WH. For one, Repentia could ride in tanks. And Engines could get double digits of attacks in combat... Plus Rage no longer meant they had to charge pellmell, but instead just got extra attacks :)

Let's see what the whole thing does now. I'll be happy if the Canoness and retinue are worth taking...

·
Registered
328 Posts
"Um, boss?"
"What's the matter webguy?"
"Derp. I deleted the interwebs......"
It probably wasn't a goof. It's possible they were just revamping things and he found it mid update. Retail websites go through changes all the time, and items will appear and disappear. Perhaps it was given a new item number, or there was an auto-update to the product's ID or something. Or they've been making changes to the pages. Could have even been an inventory thing.

It's like everyone wants to be Sam Spade and find the first clue or something to post about on a forum. The problem is, usually they just end up being Inspector Clouseau.

The reality is that it's short disappearance just had to do with maintenance/modification to the page or the item, and not a mistake.

·
Registered
136 Posts
In the WDdex both Repentia and Penitent Engines got a lot better than in C:WH. For one, Repentia could ride in tanks. And Engines could get double digits of attacks in combat... Plus Rage no longer meant they had to charge pellmell, but instead just got extra attacks :)

Let's see what the whole thing does now. I'll be happy if the Canoness and retinue are worth taking...
Penitent Engines didn't start that way in the WD codex. Remember we had a year of being in 5th edition where they completely sucked. I will try to remain cautiously optimistic however about this new codex. I am a mild pessimist by nature unfortunately as my lack of faith in the rest of humanity is constantly sustained. When something good happens though, I am that much happier for it.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Penitent Engines didn't start that way in the WD codex. Remember we had a year of being in 5th edition where they completely sucked. I will try to remain cautiously optimistic however about this new codex. I am a mild pessimist by nature unfortunately as my lack of faith in the rest of humanity is constantly sustained. When something good happens though, I am that much happier for it.
True, but what you have to bear in mind is that the WDdex was written for 6th, and when penned the rulebook was finished and ready to go to pre-production. So in the writers eyes, they were always that way in this version. I remember playing a game against Phil just before the WDdex came out, and he was very confused about what things did, and how 40k worked in 5th.

Once they'd written it, they would have gotten someone else to go through it and change names back to 5th ed versions.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
I'm really hoping some of the things that got sent to them have been taken into account. I forwarded several critiques for people from this forum, as well as my own. *fingers crossed*

241 - 260 of 486 Posts