Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A very experimental peice for me, trying to learn about flesh tones and metallics (gold is soon to follow) so any advice u guys can give will be great. iv used a mix of boltgun and mithril for a base coat (didnt have any chainmail at the time) i originally started with tamiya smoke to shade the metal, and while the results were nice they were too shiny. moved on to a purple+dark green ink wash, but iv struggled to get the balance between shading and highlighting, so much so the paint job is lookin a little thick

the base was originally for a diff peice, but i thought it suited the sister more. its suppose to be an imperial palace under attack and still has sand and rubble to be added on the top. will be adding a few strands of clear fishin line for the water coming out of the mouth, and ill be playing with resin and epoxy glue to do deep rippled water. the plastic on the top is textured cobblestone plasticard

·
Links Manager
1,007 Posts
One word should sum it up quite nicely - impressive.

Haven't seen any sisters of sigmar for years, especially with a divirgent colourscheme. Really like what you're doing with the base as well, very mordheim like!

As for the skin tones, I'd say you've figured it out very nicely! The metallics also look very good and as you already said washes can really help make it look a lott better. Might be worth to try out a testpiece on some spare weapon part starting from tin bits as that colour as a basecolour over black can really help to give silver metallic more definition or if used as the primairy colour to give it a more wheathered look.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
anyways, update, am not overly happy with these pics (or the mini tbh) the pics dont quite bring out the highlights like they are IRL and theirs alorts of mistakes on the mini, mainly spots of white undercoat that iv missed.

So... this mini is me stepping out of my comfort zone, everything about it has been done in a diff way, its all new.
theirs quite a long list of things i aint too happy about, but iv have learnt a few new things and the mini has certainly been a interesting stepping stone, althought am not quite sure ill go back and finish it properly, iv finally dug out some old conversions that iv been meaning to finish.

some critique would be great, especially about the metallics, as they were the most important lessons i wanted to learn

1 - 3 of 3 Posts