Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whilst playing cricket the other day I was on the wrong end of a fairly large score, I watched another ball sail over the boundary and thought to myself, "hmmmm it would be rubbish right now if there was a titan over there about to open fire" and this got me thinking, being a foot slogger on the battle fields of 40k, it must be a disappointing moment when you realize you have just been singled out for some special treatment by a titans gunner - on this particular occasion I was thinking along the lines of the Vulkan Mega-bolter.
How big in real terms do you think a round fired from that gun on a titan would be?

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Vulcan Mega Bolter? Probably the same size as a small bed side table (if not significantly smaller), Titan's aren't so big that they can afford to keep hundreds or thousands of rounds of ammo for one gun where each round is the size of a car- especially for a weapon that can chew through ammo at over 200 rounds per minute.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Vulcan Mega Bolter? Probably the same size as a small bed side table (if not significantly smaller), Titan's aren't so big that they can afford to keep hundreds or thousands of rounds of ammo for one gun where each round is the size of a car- especially for a weapon that can chew through ammo at over 200 rounds per minute.
but what a minute eh?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I imagine it to be the size of like a car or possibly even a small tank.
It couldn't be that big as this same weapon is the main gun on a Stormlord tank. Of course scaling is probably way off since 40 people can pile inside the Stormlord and it has 3 twin linked heavy bolters, 2 las cannons, and the Vulcan Mega-bolter. I look at this way thoug. How many Gorka Morka warbuggies woudl fit in a Stormlord? I know its not 15 which is how many shots get squeezed off per round fo shooting from the VMB alone.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Wow, people actually play cricket? :biggrin:
indeed, even more amazing is that some people enjoy it! :biggrin:

i joke, crickets a good laugh :laugh:

·
Registered
614 Posts
In Storm Of Iron, Forrix (Captain of the 1st Company) gets killed by the VMB of a Warhound Titan....that must hurt.

I once played against someone who put his Chapter Master alone, just in front of my Havok squad with 4 lascannons....most epic fail ever.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Somehow I imagine the titan would have a computer that would calculate the weapon's sweep speed and hence tune the rate of fire so that a round hits along every foot or two of a fire arc. So you wouldn't be singled out as much as mowed down along with half a platoon.

As to the size of a megabolter round, not that big really, I'd imagine no more than a foot in length and weighing about 10kg, but even without and explosive core that would ruin anything it hits.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
imagine a cannon. that fires 1 round the size of a bolling ball once per minitue with a good team of 3. Now make it fire 200 times faster and tripple the size of the ammo(about the size of a space hopper) there you have the Vulcan mega bolter. and even a cannon ball would kill you if you got a direct hit let alone an exploding one the size of a space hopper and weigth of a car!

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
I was thinking a 25mm shell would be about the right size. Maybe an 88 for a Titan gun.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts