Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as note: I do NOT play marines. I was reading my brother's codex (he's a mariner) and I wondered what people think of combining Kayvaan Shrike and assaulters. I added in the tacticals for objectives.

HQ: 195
Shadow Captain Kayvaan Shrike - 195

Troops: 279
Tactical squad (9-man) - 189
Drop Pod
Tactical squad (5-man) - 90
Fast attack: 855
Assault squad (10-man) - 190
Assault squad (10-man) - 190
Vanguard Veteran sqaud (10-man) -475
-Jump packs
-Lightning claws

Heavy Support: 170
Devastators (5-man) - 170
Marines have Heavy bolters
Sargeant has combi-meta (anti-tank)

= 1499/1500

Thoughts? Remember: I don't play marines. I'm just querying about shrike's power in a list like this.

1: Is he powerful alone?
2: How aided does he make jump packed marines?
3: Does he help all troops?
4: Is he powerful at support?

·
Registered
66 Posts
You don't seem to have a whole lot of anti tank, aside from one shot from a dev squad. You lose that shot you might be in trouble. I'm not sure what wargear you have for your assault squads and tac marines.

As to your other questions, i'll have to defer them to people who play regular marines. I haven't heard anything about shrike being competative. IRRC from what i remember that he helps assault marines get closer to the enemy via infiltrate.

-Narik

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've run Shrike a fair bit so I'll try to answer your questions as best as I can

1. Shrike is ok alone but he really needs to be run joined to an assault squad for the wound shield. He dies pretty quick otherwise.

2. Like Narik said, he can help the squad he is attached to infiltrate at the beginning of the game but really only helps with his master crafted lightning claws and higher initiative.

3. All the troops lose combat tactics and gain fleet, which is great for your jump pack boys. Who doesn't like a 19-24 inch charge range. This is where Shrike is most useful.

4. Again, adding fleet to the army is useful, but he really needs to be out in front with one of the 10 man assault squads carving up the squishy things.

As for the list itself, it will struggle against mech armies, unless there are melta bombs in all your squads. Hope I've been of some help

·
It looked great on paper.
255 Posts
I usually use Shrike as my HQ when I play codex marines. I find he's most useful infiltrating some terminators very close to an opposing infantry squad. If the terminators can't get a first turn assault, shrike can for sure. Having an 8-10 man squad of TH/SS and lightning claws in assault range (depending on deployment/fleet rolls) on the first turn is great. Shrike has an effective assault range of 18-24" so he's going to get there regardless.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I usually use Shrike as my HQ when I play codex marines. I find he's most useful infiltrating some terminators very close to an opposing infantry squad. If the terminators can't get a first turn assault, shrike can for sure. Having an 8-10 man squad of TH/SS and lightning claws in assault range (depending on deployment/fleet rolls) on the first turn is great. Shrike has an effective assault range of 18-24" so he's going to get there regardless.
I have used him like this as well, however I found that he doesn't survive very long. It's probably just bad luck on my part though.

I also realised that I said troops get fleet. It should be any unit with combat tactics gets fleet, just in case someone reading this gets confused by my stuffup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts