Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Punx For Life
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
just as the title says, show us your bases.
you may think this is a stupid request, but i think bases can really make or brake a model.
It is also sometimes overlooked and as some people spend as much time on the base as on the model itself.
I think it deserve's its own thread.

So show us your bases and tell us a bit about how you do it and what you use.

Here's mine, there pretty simple but look good (I think anyway).

Told you there simple.
First off I add the slate which is cheap at my local pet shop,
it comes in chunks and sold by weight, I put it in a bag and smash it with a hammer, pick a bit I like and stick it to the base.
Then I add the sand, which is bird cage sand, again very cheap from the pet shop.

When its all dry I base coat it black.
Then I paint the sand Khemri brown, drybrush it Desert yellow and then a final drybrush of Bleached bone.
The slate is then painted Adeptus battlegray, drybrushed Codex grey and then Astronomican grey on the edges,

Now its your turn.:biggrin:
regards
jim

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I wrote a tutorial a little while ago about getting basing supplies from the pet shop. Glad to see i'm not the only one doing their 40k shopping whilst picking up cat food. :victory:

For most of my bases i use sand, bird grit and a few chunks of kitty litter, i've also got a little bag of rocks from the garden.

Once it's covered in pet shop i do 2 coats of snakebite leather and drybrush bleached bone.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I wrote a tutorial a little while ago about getting basing supplies from the pet shop. Glad to see i'm not the only one doing their 40k shopping whilst picking up cat food. :victory:

For most of my bases i use sand, bird grit and a few chunks of kitty litter, i've also got a little bag of rocks from the garden.

Once it's covered in pet shop i do 2 coats of snakebite leather and drybrush bleached bone.
Okay now I HAVE to try that.

·
Super Moderator
2,998 Posts
This is the best shot of one of my bases:

All it is is textured plasticard cut to fit and painted up. Simples. Here's the same stuff on my DKoK painted dheneb stone, washed devlan mud then drybrushed back to stone:

And here are a few examples of the resin bases I got from URL="http://www.darkartstore.darkartminiatures.com/"]Dark Art Miniatures[/URL]

Cheers

Reaper

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm sure some of you have seen it, but I made a rotating base for my Monolith. Operated by batteries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53oJXJvpm5o

I'm not a fan of the bases on any model Warhammer or 40k with green sides. Just saying...

·
Registered
256 Posts
mine varie becuase my armies is defending one of there outposts at the moment so there isny any tiled ground due to lots of seigeing anr there are guys on rocks like my chaplain from parts of buildings ect

most have small details like skulls partialy burried or servo skulls on the ground
pouches bits of reckage like tires

·
Registered
72 Posts
Desert

Alien-ish green rock stuff

Steps for the green rocks:
1. Balsa wood for main rock formation, modeling gravel and sand, covered in pva again to seal it. Also shows previous examples to match to.
2. Krylon silver I use to base everything.
3. Scurf green base coat and wash, to get in the cracks.
4. Black wash

5. Heavy drybrush of caymen green I think.
6. Mistake! Drybrush of goblin green, which I then realized I never used on the originals.. oops
7. Repair drybrush of scruf green and then caymen again.
8. Medium drybrush mostly scurf green, some white on top half.

9. Light drybrush 1:1 scurf green white, edges only.
10. Lighter drybrush 1:2 scurf green to white, edges only.
11. Very light white drybrush on corners of rock.
12. Pretty close match to my original base!

Not shown: repainting the edge of the base black.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts