Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. So for my third army im torn between IG and Tau. I like both but not really sure on the details of both armys. I play Templars and Dark Angels now so I want something totally different. Any thoughts would be alot of help. Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Really they are pretty even so I would say to decide ask yourself this

Would you like to stay Loyal or become a Xeno Scum? XD

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol. good question. I'm really into WWII and was thinking if I go IG do a Red Army kind of look. But Tau was the first race I ever played in the PC game which got me into Warhamemr. If only i had enough to buy both.

·
Registered
460 Posts
It depends on your interests, how much you want to pay, and what your play style is.
Tau for instance are easier to paint, and you don't need as many models for a playable or competitive army. They tend to be shooty, and fast. Battle suits move blow up a unit then move out of range. Most tau weapons are long ranged, so you can shoot from far away without worrying about getting shot up.

Guard are a pain to paint well though a simple paint job is a piece of cake, however you need models by the bucket load, and that is expensive and time consuming. They are however, a lot of fun to make, and you can use practically anything in a guard army as long as it looks guardy. Most armies I've seen have converted at least a couple models and the majority convert more than that.

The guard are slower than the Tau, their standard infantry weapon's primary use is entertaining kittens, and large amounts of infantry(or tanks) are a must. The guard are however, a tread heads dream. They have a vast selection of tanks and artillery, and boast quite a few variants of several vehicles. Their infantry are mediocre except in large quantities. With a 5+ armor save and terrible stats, individual guard don't last long, but big groups can mess up an enemies day. A big group of people use veterans mounted in chimeras and valkyries, but it is prohibitively expensive as far as I'm concerned.

Hope this helps.:grin:

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
both do gun lines well but its jsut weiather you want fire power or numbers really.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts