Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, my relatives are going to give me some money to spend on the holidays, and I am planning on getting 2 Broadside Battlesuits. Here is my army:

1 devilfish
10 fire warriors
16 kroot
1 hammerhead (with missile drone
and either railgun or ion cannon)
3 battlesuits (one shas'o)
5 gun drones
5 pathfinders
2 stealthsuits

I usually fight my brother, who plays nids.

Please comment on if I should get them, or what you think they could be useful for, and if I should get something else.

Bye :victory:

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I would suggest getting the broadsides. being twin-linked makes them slightly better at shooting their railguns than the hammerhead and against MCs more high strength low ap weapons are awesome. Not to mention that they aren't too shabby in cc for tau as long as they don't lose their armour save.

But always give them some shield drones to absorb instant death shots when you use them.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Broadsides are great for giving you some real reach against heavier targets. They aren't cheap or very flexible, but very good at their job.
+1. Fun to paint, too.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Broadsides are great for giving you some real reach against heavier targets. They aren't cheap or very flexible, but very good at their job.
They are still cheaper than hammerheads, and against tanks and MCs they are a bit more useful.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Broadsides are one of the best HS in the game move and fire with huge guns, supported by a great save, and the ability to get an invulnerable save of sorts.

Looking at your list I would get more fire warriors The broadsides will help against HT carnis and trygons, but watch out for the swarm of gaunts BSs don't help there

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
I'd invest in more Fire Warriors first. Since you've got a hammerhead, you're covered on the railgun front for the time being. Troops, on the other hand, are somewhat lacking in your collection. Don't underestimate Fire Warriors-- they have the best standard infantry weapon in the game, and while the rest of their profile leaves a bit to be desired, the pulse rifle more than makes up for it in my opinion.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Fire Warriors are pretty terribad. Take the minimum, stuff them in a Pathfinder Fish and focus on kroot to fill out your Troops. Hammerheads are really better at anti-infantry with the submunition, so Broadsides fill a gap as dedicated long range anti-tank.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Depending on your opponent fire warriors could be horrid or they could be gods. But overall I usually try to have a solid core of them. This is because a couple of units of them in cover can give a decent amount of fire-power to your side as well as popping light tanks, and they can run around grabbing objectives easily enough.

You just can't rely on them to be the backbone of your army.

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
since there troops, and so objective grabbers, in 5th that kinda makes them the backbone really, plus there nasty blighters in any game type or scenario, and cheap as chips

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Fire warriors are immense. they murder any thing that isn't wearing power armour or better. You can just shot under devilfish, mows down troops. Why would anyone say different is beyond me.

Obviously if you really want something dead you send in your crisis teams, but point for point FWs are arguably the best troop unit in the game. (the devilfish is slightly expensive)

I always try to take 36 in a 1500pt list with 2 dfs

·
Registered
648 Posts
No joke, FW suck. S5 doesn't threaten enough, BS3 fails, and pretty much everything else is better. Take your FW, stuff then in a Pathfinder Devilfish and then you take Kroot. Kroot are cheaper, provide you with infiltrating and disposable skirmisher-style units to protect your real damage dealers (pro tip: 10 S5 BS3 shots does not make for a good shooting phase), Crisis Suits, Hammerheads and Broadsides. Best part, when in cover, kroot are incredibly durable and quite good in a fight, at least against weakened units that weather your firepower.

You don't need to max out on Troops to win objective missions, just hold 1 more than your opponent.

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
S5 doesn't threaten enough, BS3 fails
str5 doesn't threaten enough?, it threatens bloody rhinos, apart from necrons there is no basic troop with a basic gun strong enough to threaten a rhino.
BS3 fails?, BS3 is the norm, 50% is hardly fail
Kroot are cheaper, provide you with infiltrating and disposable skirmisher-style units to protect your real damage dealers
Kroot, now theres a unit that is truly shit, awful in close combat, awful shooting, awful save, and why would you want to get them closer to an enemy?, it just means they die 5x quicker

heck I've beaten the useless buggers in combat with guardsmen
(pro tip: 10 S5 BS3 shots does not make for a good shooting phase)
it does when that shooting is 6" longer than most other races, and why would it only be 10?, considering how cheap fire warriors are get 60, get them in rapid fire range and then say it sucks with a straight face.

I think people are starting to lose the plot a little, must be SPESS MAHREEN syndrome

·
Registered
109 Posts
Kroot, now theres a unit that is truly shit, awful in close combat, awful shooting, awful save, and why would you want to get them closer to an enemy?, it just means they die 5x quicker
I've found that they are good for keeping units busy in close combat, especially against nids.

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
I've found that they are good for keeping units busy in close combat, especially against nids.
honestly I can't see ay number of kroot holding up 30+ gaunts with toxin sacs, considering I've seen them rip through 10 tactical marines, 5 teminators and a chaplain in 1 turn.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts