Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A lot of my friends are getting second armies that are very CC-heavy and swarmy (Tyranids and Orks, generally) so I was trying to think of a way to deal with them. Noise Marines and Lash Princes and seemed a good rout for that, as their sonic weaponry seems to have a lot of nice shooty capability, while the Princes keep stuff far enough away to be shot, while the marines themselves seem decent enough in close combat to hold their own if I can't shoot them down before they get to me.

How does this look for a 2000 point list for dealing with large population armies, preferably from a distance?

HQ:
--Daemon Prince (Wings, Mark of Slaanesh, Lash of Submission)
--Daemon Prince (Wings, Mark of Slaanesh, Lash of Submission)

Troops:
--Noise Marines x5 (Champion, Doom Siren, Sonic Blaster x4, Blastmaster)

Heavy Support:
--Havocs x5 (Missile Launchers x4)
--Havocs x5 (Missile Launchers x4)

I believe that should be exactly 2000 points, if I did the math right. How does this look?

**EDIT**
Forgot to mention, we very rarely do objective games. This would be used if it's a straight up kill-the-other-guy mission, with all the marines set up in whatever cover I can get in my deployment zone.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Interesting list, if a bit monotone. It'll take out MEQ squads very easily indeed. It has two major weakness though - no mech, and nothing to reliably take out AV14. This list would do far better with a bit of mech to keep your guys moving when the enemy closes in - jump in and get out of dodge. They also add a few extra bolters, which can be useful, and the ability to move up and use the Doom Sieren template from inside the vehicle works quite well as well.

If you dropped one unit of NMs, and one sonic blaster from each other squad, you could get 6 rhino's to mech up. For taking out AV14, you could think about changing out the Havocs for some obliterators, to get the multi-melta and las cannon options for taking out heavier vehicles. Or melta Chosen, outflanking in a rhino would probably work as well.

In the end, you might have a lot of fun with this, but you'll probably struggle to really excel against some armies. Good luck with it though :)

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I usually don't need to worry about AV14, only one person I play with even owns a Land Raider. Eventually one friend of mine is going to get a Necron army and get a Monolith, but I can wait until then to deal with it.

I was originally considering Obliterators, but I didn't have enough points for more than one squad. Maybe I could try rearranging a few things, though, if they're really that much better....

Would Thousand Sons be better for going up against MEQ (due to their superior AP) or are Noise Marines better, since they have more shots at a further range? Or perhaps a mix?

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Hmm its still lacks long range anti-mech, and decent spread of anti tank weapons. Also some of the shottier CSM armies I have seen look more like this.

2X3 Oblitorators
2X6 chosen with 2meltaX2Plasma guns, rhinos
2X10 CSM with rhinos, ICG, 2XPlasma guns
1 defiler
2 lash princes with wings
8 Terminators with combi weapons, and heavy flamers.

Don't get me wrong I love your list, after all themed armies are wonderful, just don't expect to survive running against true medium ranged gun lines like the one mentioned above.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
If AV14 isn't a problem, then you'll probably do fine with what you have, though a melta here or there rarely goes astray. You could always drop a unit of havocs to fit in 2 obliterators, with a few points left over.

As for Thousand sons, they are better at anti-Meq than NMs with normal shooting, but with a Blast Master and Doom Siren NMs are great, especially considering you have two lash princes, which make the blasts/templates far more effective.

I still recommend Meching up though - rhinos always come in handy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts