Dreadnought 2: t-l autocannon, t-l autocannon 125
Dreadnought 3: t-l lascannon 135

Land Speeder 1: multi-melta 60
Land Speeder 2: multi-melta 60
Land Speeder 3: multi-melta 60

Predator 60
Devestator Squad: 10 marines, 3 missile launchers, 1 heavy bolter 230
Thunderfire Cannon 100

Basically deploy in a corner and shoot away but i'm wondering how this list would go against other spammy lists. Tyranids, Imperial Guard, Blood Angels, Orks... So, what'ya think

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
potentially bad, if you listed a sampling of your opposition.

Nids: between their Outflanking and Deepstriking about the only thing you have that may be able to handle them is your Dreads. Genestealers can take out LS without too much trouble.

IG is a toss up, and Orks as well, IMO. BA on the otherhand, can be a pain depending on the build. if you face any Vanguard Vets. then you may be screwed, and Vanguard are very feasible for the BA due to Descent of Angels. however, you may stand a chance against Razorspam due to your excessive shootiness.

it's a good concept, but ultimately Scouts are flimsy Troops, and nothing will ever change that.

good hunting.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i'm not worried about orks as they don't have any option of getting in my face without transports which are either flimsy or expensive. tau also worry me about the fact that i can't do anything about railheads. assuming i've got a van vet squad up against me they'll deep-strike and charge a unit which they'll either demolish or get stuck in combat with and since they can't consolidate i'll just blow them to pieces next turn, right? and i chose the scouts as they are a cheap way to get some troops and add more ML's to the equation.

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
You can build something far more balanced and far more shooty than what you have above...

For example... in a 1500 list you can fit two lazbacks, 2 MLs, two Riflemen, three typhoons and three auto las Preds. That's a lot more firepower than you currently are able to sport

·
Registered
304 Posts
The master of the forge should be upgraded with a conversion beamer And if you have the point a bike.

that gun is just too good to pass up especially considering the masters lack of melee abilities.

·
Registered
304 Posts
@blammer i thought i'd just leave the motf back to repair vehicles.
QUOTE]

The gun is only 20 points and if no damaged tanks are around him he can shoot it. If Not then you could at least leave out the power weapon since he wont be melee fighting anyway.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i just cant find a reason in my head as to why you would ever use that many scouts
maybe 1 unit of scouts and the rest tac squads
i think that would work out a lot better for you

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
are scouts that bad? and anyway i'd like to try out some different units like the thunderfire. dropping the power sword for the conversion beamer sounds ok, as long as i can still hang back and support the vehicles.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Master of the Forge: power weapon, 2 servitors 140

Scout Squad 1: 5 scouts, missile launcher 85
Scout Squad 2: 5 scouts, missile launcher 85
Scout Squad 3: 5 scouts, missile launcher 85
Scout Squad 4: 10 scouts, missile launcher 150

Dreadnought 1: t-l autocannon, t-l autocannon 125
Dreadnought 2: t-l autocannon, t-l autocannon 125
Dreadnought 3: t-l lascannon 135

Land Speeder 1: multi-melta 60
Land Speeder 2: multi-melta 60
Land Speeder 3: multi-melta 60

Predator 60
Devestator Squad: 10 marines, 3 missile launchers, 1 heavy bolter 230
Thunderfire Cannon 100

Basically deploy in a corner and shoot away but i'm wondering how this list would go against other spammy lists. Tyranids, Imperial Guard, Blood Angels, Orks... So, what'ya think
I fielded a list a bit similar against IG. I lost, although there were extenuating circumstances; we rolled Annihilation/Pitched Battle, I set up first in a corner and then he successfully siezed the initiative having refused a flank and set up his entire army as close to my MotF as possible.

That said, I found the Devastator Squad hard to use. If you have to move that squad you start giving up tempo (missing out on shots). Also, ML were no good against his tanks, and pretty poor against his APCs. I suggest 2xLC instead, or drop the devastators and consider sternguard (more on that below).

I found 3x Land Speeder to be too many. Miner were MM/HF. They were threatening to him, but also easy for him to knock out. I suggest reducing your speeder count to 2x, and equipping them MM/HF. Also, start with them in reserve, as starting with them on just gives your opponent more time to shoot them before they are relevant.

4x Scouts is too many IMO. Also, you have to give them MB! I initially fielded one sniper squad, with ML and Telion, and two cc squads with MB. I kept the cc squads in reserve in order to use their outflank, and this did deliver up a dead tank when one of them came on. Telion was very good, but you want his squad to be as small as is legal (i.e. 5 models). That is because Telion and the ML are really doing all the work, and they will be in the bolstered ruin (using infiltrate) so they survive well. I have reduced my cc squads to 1x, but I suspect 2x5 model squads with MB will be best (so you can rely on getting the outflank you want).

My Dreadnoughts were not as well equipped as yours, but I suspect you should lose the TLLC dread. I believe the riflemen will do you good service. How did you get hold of the models btw?

Finally, Sternguard. After the game I lost we played again, and I switched the devastators out for sternguard. The 'guard performed extremely well and although time permitted only a draw, I left most of his army in smoking ruin.

GL! I will post the list that I plan to try next onto the forum for comments.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts