Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I had a rule book in front of me now, this rule might not seem so ambiguous to me, but I had a question about shooting and assaulting. I know a unit using assault weapons may shoot and then assault the same unit they shot, but can they additionally assault any other units in range and split their attack?

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
You can but:
1 The closest attacking model must be moved into base contact with a model from the unit you declared the assault on.
2 You must follow all the other rules for assaulting and you must maintain unit coherency.
For future reference when you have your book, its page 34 - assaulting multiple enemy units.

Edit: I am pretty sure you understand this, but it is not that you may assault the same unit you fired on, but that, if you declare an assault, it must be declared on the unit you fired on. Like I said, I am sure you know, but the 'may' in your sentence is a bit ambiguous.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
yep, the first model in the assaulting unit must assault the unit you shot at. After that, so long as you follow the assault movement rules, then you can assault anything you can reach.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hm, I suppose that means lootas with a frail guard of gretchin behind them isn't exactly a perfect guard. They can still receive a flamer attack from jump jet infantry to create a hole, then get charged with the lootas. pity.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
LOL. No, by no means the perfect defense. Depending on terrain, put them in buildings. Another option is park them in a trukk. If the trukk pops, your screwed, but when it does, you might get lucky and kereen 10 inches in the opposite direction and then you avoid an assault. Also, the flamer will not be able to hit your guys. Trukk is cheaper than a minimum gretchin squad too.

·
Jeep's and Harley's
1,997 Posts
LOL. No, by no means the perfect defense. Depending on terrain, put them in buildings. Another option is park them in a trukk. If the trukk pops, your screwed, but when it does, you might get lucky and kereen 10 inches in the opposite direction and then you avoid an assault. Also, the flamer will not be able to hit your guys. Trukk is cheaper than a minimum gretchin squad too.
Only if the truck is not Immoble .... he he he
*walks away chuckling*:p

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea, with the army I'm building, a trukk would just be a horrible, horrible liability. This should probably go in a new post (or I should just wait til I have a rule book back in my hands) but I had another question. I don't remember reading anything in the rule book about units providing cover AFTER they've gone to ground. It seems kind of logical that a unit would NOT provide cover to another unit behind it if it had gone to ground, however I don't remember reading any special rule pertaining to that. Can anyone illuminate me on that?

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Only if the truck is not Immoble .... he he he
*walks away chuckling*:p
Any yet, we still disagree. However, this is neither the time, not the place. As petty as this is, immobile has an 'I' and heh has an extra 'h'. :wink:

yea, with the army I'm building, a trukk would just be a horrible, horrible liability. This should probably go in a new post (or I should just wait til I have a rule book back in my hands) but I had another question. I don't remember reading anything in the rule book about units providing cover AFTER they've gone to ground. It seems kind of logical that a unit would NOT provide cover to another unit behind it if it had gone to ground, however I don't remember reading any special rule pertaining to that. Can anyone illuminate me on that?
They actually would. Cover is defined as parts of the model receiving fire being obscured from the point of view of the firer. Page 21- When Models are in Cover and Intervening Models

Specifically:
Former: When any part of the target model's body(as defined on page 16) is obscured from the point of view of the firer, the model is in cover.

Latter: If a target is partially hidden from the firer's view by other models, it recieves a 4+ cover save...

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Yep, have the unit in front go to ground, get a +1 to it's save and it still provides cover to the unit behind it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts