Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Eastern Potent
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically I am familiar with the rules governing shields, their uses and such. Here is where my problem is:

If a model is equipped with a magical shield, for example the high elven golden shield (opponent must re-roll hits) Do I need the shield to actually be equipped (I.e benefitting from parry etc.) to gain the effect? Because the description is Shield. In addition, etc. etc.

the list goes on, with the enchanted shield, it says gives+2 instead of the usual +1, but never says I NEED to be wielding the shield to benefit.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
where does it say that?
P75 - requires two hands. A shield cannot be used alongside a two handed weapon. As you can't use it, no bonus for the shield. As you can't get a shield bonus for it, the Enchanted shield won't work either.

Now, that said, you would still get the bonus against anything outside of combat attacks (magic, shooting, ect.) even if engaged. So the other shields still have all their usual effects - Shield of Potlos still works against shooting, spell shield still works against magic, and so on.

·
Eastern Potent
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But in the rules more most magical shields, it doesnt say "while the shield is being used" It merely says "Shield. The magical shield of awesome grants a 5+ wardsave and 5+ armor save"

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
You have to use something to get its affects- I cant take a magical weapon and a mace and then claim the +2S for the mace on the first round of combat even if I cant use it: the bonus comes from using the weapon (in this case) and should be self evident. Same with shields, if you aren't using it then its the same as not having it at all... but if that is written into the rulebook I would be shocked... its so obvious that I think the writers wouldn't have wasted the ink

·
Eastern Potent
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well Im aware that its so obvious, you have caught me out on my attempted rules lawyering :p But in my defence it was for a tourny! :p

·
Registered
442 Posts
if you had tried that 1 with me at a tourny i would of kindly reached over the table smashed your face into your models and said stop being a c**t please

·
Eastern Potent
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
if you had tried that 1 with me at a tourny i would of kindly reached over the table smashed your face into your models and said stop being a c**t please

Its pretty easy to sound tough over the internet. Not to mention good work getting kicked from the tourny! :so_happy:

·
Eastern Potent
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You cannot parry with a Magic Shield either.

Your rules lawyering is going to need some work to take it up to tournament level lawyering.

Aramoro

Eh, I dont think so, just had this pop into my head one day and couldnt find anything I though definitive. But thanks to the heretics I have realised the error of my ways.

·
Dark Knight
985 Posts
You have to use something to get its affects- I cant take a magical weapon and a mace and then claim the +2S for the mace on the first round of combat even if I cant use it: the bonus comes from using the weapon (in this case) and should be self evident. Same with shields, if you aren't using it then its the same as not having it at all... but if that is written into the rulebook I would be shocked... its so obvious that I think the writers wouldn't have wasted the ink
it does say in the old 7th ed to you must use the weapon to gain the bonus odd thing is l cant find it in the new 8th ed but l think you are right

·
Dark Knight
985 Posts
Sorry for the 2x post.
check my rulebook and the funny thing is shield is not under weapon it under p42 - 43 (amour saves) and its saids you only need to carry the shield to get 1+ save does not say you need to use it but you can still take this either way.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Ok, here's the proof that you need to be using your magic shield to gain its benefits.

1) BRB pg. 502: "A magic shield is treated as a normal shield, but cannot be used alongside a hand weapon to gain a parry save.

2) BRB pg. 43: "A models armor save is boosted still further if it carries a shield. Shields are highly effective in battle, as they can be used to fend off both shooting and close combat attacks.

3) BRB pg. 88: "Some warriors carry a hand weapon in one hand and a shield in the other, a common combination which grants the warrior a fighting chance to parry or block..."

The first quote just sets the groundwork and solidifies the fact that magic shields work just like normal shields. The second quote points out the obvious truth we all already know, that you have be using the shield to gain any benefit from it. And the third quote is just more of a reinforcement that as far as weapons and shields are concerned, 'carrying' is equivalent to 'wielding'.

·
Dark Knight
985 Posts
Ok, here's the proof that you need to be using your magic shield to gain its benefits.

1) BRB pg. 502: "A magic shield is treated as a normal shield, but cannot be used alongside a hand weapon to gain a parry save.

2) BRB pg. 43: "A models armor save is boosted still further if it carries a shield. Shields are highly effective in battle, as they can be used to fend off both shooting and close combat attacks.

3) BRB pg. 88: "Some warriors carry a hand weapon in one hand and a shield in the other, a common combination which grants the warrior a fighting chance to parry or block..."

The first quote just sets the groundwork and solidifies the fact that magic shields work just like normal shields. The second quote points out the obvious truth we all already know, that you have be using the shield to gain any benefit from it. And the third quote is just more of a reinforcement that as far as weapons and shields are concerned, 'carrying' is equivalent to 'wielding'.
Well there you go, l do wish they said wielding as "carries" can be taken in so many different ways

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
The only way to not use a Magic Shield is to have a Weapon that Requires Two Hands I think. That rule is pretty clear that you do not get to use the Shield in Close Combat, Although you will get to use it against ranged attacks or magic.

Aramoro

1 - 20 of 65 Posts