Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Thordis
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I read this on here http://natfka.blogspot.nl/2014/11/shield-of-baal-deathstorm-box-set-and.html

via anonymous sources on Faeit 212 *****
two releases next week for 40k and the rest is hobbit and some bases.
Shield of Baal box set $125 25 miniatures, campaign supplement, and rules
Shield of Baal: Deasthstorm $24 hardback 125pgs

Contents of the box set
Small Rulebook with Blood Angels on Front
Campaign Supplement -40pages
3 missions, rules and dataslates for each model, two formations- Strike Force Deathstorm and Phodian Annihilation Swarm

Blood Angels Strike Force- 12 models
Captain Karlean, 5 terminators, 5 deasth company, and a death company dreadnought

Phodian Annihilation Swarm- 13 models
Spawn of Cryptus, 8 genestrealers, 3 warriors, and a carnifex

The Spawn of Cryptus is a very large Broodlord towering over the height of warriors. Both the Spawn of Cryptus and Captian Karlean are new models.
seems like a pretty sweet box to me just like the Stormclaw campaign supplement.
I myself already arranged to go 50/50 on this one with a mate that collects blood angels if the rumors proof true. (tho there is not much doubt on my mind that there is)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I collect tyranids but I am not sure whether I will get the box.
I only own one Carnifex, three Warriors and 8 Genestealers so I could use the new models. But it's nothing that I definitively "need". I also own a normal Broodlord.
My boyfriend plays Dark Angels, Grey Knights and has some Space Wolfs from errr... Stormclaw I think. He could use the Blood Angles as allies and would take them. I considered keeping them but I don't think I want to start another army yet. But again - not a must-have just not completely useless.

Maybe I wait until we know more about the Spawn of Cryptus and whether or not it is interesting...

·
Registered
211 Posts
So a question, do any of ya'll feel thar the box will be a decent stand alone without the first part? Sanctus was. I hope so.

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
Christ you people are hard to please, hes a blood angel terminator captain in plastic with chapter icons and blood drops and a cloak and he fits in with both the current range and space hulk plus he's effectively free because the sets cost is more than covered by the price of the model and rule book contained within.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Thordis
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Couple more pictures:

So yeah, that new Broodlord is fekkin' 'uge. :shok:
thanks for the pics, and yeah O-o thats pretty big.

on the terminator captain, its as detailed, and unique as the Krom Dragongaze mini, wich was louded and welcomed by just about anyone I spoke to.
in my opinion pretty darn awesome.

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts

maybe the captain doesn't look to special tho.
The Captain looks like parts from the Space Hulk kit slightly altered and thrown together.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
Now, let's about the most expensive Tyranid Supplement there is...

Leviathan
There are no new Sisters of Battle, or Blood Angels stuff. For a book about the Baal System, the lack of Blood Angels is really, really annoying.

There are six campaign Missions, except it's not a campaign at all. None of the Missions require you to have units, nor do they offer any bonuses to the winner for the next Mission. And what's really terrible is that the campaign switches between Sororitas and Guard, so while the Tyranid player gets to keep using the models he's got. For two Missions, the not-Tyranid player has to have a Sororitas army lying around, and composed only Sororitas, which I highly doubt anyone except Sisters players from 3rd Ed. will have. For a 'campaign' it sucks. There's no special characters, there's no 'fluffy' units, nothing. As someone who really, really enjoys what Sanctus Reach is doing, this next campaign feels flat and stale. SR: Hour of the Wolf has some problems, but we'll cross that bridge if/when I get to it.

Cities of Death
Contains everything you need to play Cities of Death. All six Missions. All Tactical Objectives. All of it. Hopefully Part 2 of Shield of Baal will be able to have more Blood Angels stuff in it because it certainly shouldn't have any Cities of Death stuff in it.

Fighter Aces
Any Flier or FMC, any time, any where, can be upgraded to a Fighter Ace for 35 Points. Basically, it's like giving your Flier/FMC a Warlord Trait. All the Tables for all Factions are different and they're all random. I'll have to get out all my Codecies too see which Fighter Aces are worth the 35 Points and which aren't. This 'Fighter Aces' stuff should be a Supplement all on its own, for no more than $5. Unfortunately, it's crammed into this 'limited release' book where no-one is ever going to see it.

Now, the Tyranids-only stuff...

Spoiler
Hide
Hive Fleet Detachment: 1-3 HQ, 3-9 Troops, no Fortifications. By losing Objective Secured, you can re-roll the Instinctive Behaviour roll. That's it. Everything else per CAD. If your Warlord is from this Detachment, he must roll on the Hive Fleet Leviathan Warlord table.

HFL Warlord Traits
1. Infiltrate
2. Preferred Enemy
3. +1 to Reserve Rolls
4. Extra VPs when your Warlord kills an Independent Character in a Challenge
5. Pick a piece of Terrain in the opponent's DZ, reduce its Cover Save by 1.
6. Gain FNP when you lose a Wound

Pretty crap. Infiltrate is nice. Hive Tyrants can just pay points for Preferred Enemy, and FNP is nice on a T6 model, but, that's about it. But, you can now have 3 Hive Tyrants in one Detachment. That's a thing that will happen. Especially in metas that put arbitrary limits on the amount of Detachments that you can have.

Mucoloid Spore Cluster: Troops. Spore Mines that explode at S8, AP3. They can also Assault Fliers and FMCs normally, and hit Fliers on Side Armour. Definitely worth looking at. Most of all because they're Troops that can hit Fliers.

Zoanthrope Brood: Elites. Zoanthrope 2.0 Broods come in units of 1-6, and that's great because more Warp Blasts. But you also can upgrade one Zoanthrope to a Neurothrope, which gives your Zoanthropes access to Psychic Shriek Spirit Leech. Wounds causes by a Neurothrope's Spirit Leech add more Warp Dice to your pool, which - ideally - you funnel into Warp Blasts. Remember kids, like Psychic Shriek, Spirit Leech is a Witchfire and needs to roll To Hit.

Maleceptor: Elites. A Maleceptor is an ML2 Psyker. He's a Monstrous Creature with an Invulnerable save. Unfortunately, one of the Maleceptor's Powers is always going to be Psychic Overlord. Which is basically Mind War, and the Maleceptor can cast it three times. The problem with Focussed Witchfires, is that they still need to roll To Hit (on BS3 ), and even if you do get the 'Focus' out of Focussed Witchfire, your opponent can still LO,S! the Wounds. Besides, good luck trying to cast three WC2 Powers in the same turn.

Toxicrene: Elites. A Monstrous Creature with Poison (2+). Even though it only has S5, you're still getting re-rolls against a lot of models. Six, Poisoned (2+), AP2 (because Monstrous Creater) attacks that cause Instant Death on a '6' To Wound is really, really strong. It's also Shrouded all the time for a free Cover Save. The Toxicrene also gains Armourbane against Vehicles that have lost one or more Hull Points already. If you can somehow Glance a Vehicle (say, with Electroshock Grubs), Toxicrenes suddenly become very strong Vehicle killers as they no longer need to rely on Smash. I know in my heart that there's a list that can make use out of these, but I'll have to think about it some more.

Tyrannocytes: Heavy. While it doesn't take up any FO Slots, it's not a Dedicated Transport and will give your opponent VPs during Big Guns Never Tire. This Monstrous Creature gives Tyranids the tactical flexibility that they've needed for ages. Drop a unit of 20 Termagants on an Objective, or, perhaps better, a unit of Genestealers that don't test for IB on it. Throw your Carnifexes or Hive Tyrants with their 12, S6 shots behind a Vehicle on Turn 2. Or, you can take three units of Zoanthropes with Neurothrope, and just drop all of the models inside your opponent's DZ. Even though it has six Wounds (that's a lot), it's only T5, and can be doubled out, though not by much.

Sporocyst: Heavy. Functions a whole lot like a Bastion. Five BS2 guns that can only shoot on 'Automated Fire' at 75 Points a pop. The key thing to note about this MC, is that it can Infiltrate. While it can't ever move, it does come with five Infiltrating guns. In addition, every turn, the Sporocyst makes a unit of Spore Mines, and, instead, once per game make a Mucoloid Spore. So, yeah. It's an Infiltrating Bastion with a bunch of guns. Use it or don't. However, in the Heavy slot it is competing with Exocrines and Mawlocs. But it's only 75 Points. Possibly 100.

If you've kept up with buying your White Dwarf every week, you likely know everything there is to know. But, even if you haven't, the rules come in the models' box.

Hypertoxic Node Formation: Hive Tyrant, Toxicrene, 3+ Venomthropes. All Poisoned attacks from units from this Formation gain Instant Death on a '6'. That's really strong on the Hive Tyrant. The Toxicrene now causes ID on a 5+. Every model in the Formation can use Toxic Miasma every turn, instead of just once per game. If you're in the Eldar-Tau meta where Ignores Cover is everywhere, this Formation is pretty weak. If you don't have Ignores Cover Bladestorms and 10-shot Broadsides hitting your face every turn, you're good to go.

Neural Node Formation: Maleceptor and 9+ Zoanthropes with 3 Neurothropes. Shadow in the Warp goes to 18" now. Which would be great, if Shadow in the Warp actually did anything. The models in this Formation can re-roll 1s during Psychic Tests when within 12" of the Maleceptor. If you want to make Zoanthropes work, this is how you'd do it. If you want to get a bunch of extra Warp Dice from taking all the Zoanthropes you need to make it work, just throw in the Maleceptor, swap to the Formation and start re-rolling all your 1s. That is, if you like Zoanthropes and Witchfires.

Skytyrant Swarm Formation: Hive Tyrant and 20+ Gargoyles, all one unit. The Hive Tyrant can roll LO,S! on a 2+, but can never Swoop. For people who are still running two Hive Tyrants with 20+ Gargoyles (instead of switching to two Hive Crones), this Formation gives you a couple of extra rules that you weren't really looking for, but it's better than nothing if you plan on running the models anyway (like the Neural Node Formation).

Skyblight Swarm Formation: I could swear I've seen this Formation two or three times already in other Supplements.

Sporefield Formation: Spore Mines and Mucaloid Spores than can Infiltrate, and then come back. Again, I know that Mucaloid Spores are good, I just don't know how I would use them in my existing Tyranid list(s), or whether or not I would need to start a new list with them in mind.

Skytide Formation: A Formation of Formations. Skytyrant Swarm, 3 Skyblight Swarms and a Sporefield. The Skyblight Swarms and Sporefields can re-roll the dice to see if Gargoyles and Spore Mines are replaced when destroyed. I think the Skyblight Swarm was reprinted in this book (for the third time?) so that this Formation would make sense to people who have only bought this book.

This book sucks! ...For me. If I was an active Tyranid player, I'd be really happy with it (especially if I also didn't care about White Dwarf). Unfortunately, I'm not an active Tyranid player. What I wanted was 'the Imperial half' of Shield of Baal. I'm a big, big, big fan of Sanctus Reach, but it feels like SoB removed everything wrong with SR, but also took out the good part of SR - the Campaign.

The campaign is crap, because it isn't one, at least, not like the fully fleshed out - albeit flawed - Sanctus Reach campaign.
The Cities of Death stuff is stuff is actually useful for people who actually care about it.
The Fighter Aces stuff is probably good - though I'll have to make a new post just dealing with it, specifically.
And then there's Tyranids' stuff, and I don't play Tyranids to any real extent.

Yeah. If I played Tyranids, I'd have Cities of Death and not-exactly-new Tyranid stuff. But I don't play Tyranids, so I only have the Cities of Death stuff.
The Fighter Ace bit is kind of cool - but 35pts for a random special rule is... expensive.

Still, +1 to invulns on fighter aces for Kairos who gets Cursed Earth for a 2++ Rerollable Invulnerable. Might try and ally in Be'lakor for a 2++ Jink as well, because fuck you wounds.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Thordis
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Fighter Ace bit is kind of cool - but 35pts for a random special rule is... expensive.

Still, +1 to invulns on fighter aces for Kairos who gets Cursed Earth for a 2++ Rerollable Invulnerable. Might try and ally in Be'lakor for a 2++ Jink as well, because fuck you wounds.
thanks a bunch!
I agree going by the preview the first part of the campaign is pretty shit.

·
Thordis
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
here is a full preview of the white dwarf in question by spikey bits
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqvaBIOmMac#t=228

another rumor now is, that they are going to release a softback version of shield of baal: leviathan.
http://natfka.blogspot.nl/2014/11/shield-of-baal-leviathan-softback.html

via an anonymous source on Faeit 212
The Shield of Baal Leviathan will see a softcover release before the end of the year. The demand was sorely underestimated, but the books had already been printed, which is why the softcover books are coming so soon.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts