Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So right now, I have something along the lines of 3000 points of Thousand Sons. A lot of it is heavily converted to suit my own purposes, all the way back from 3E codex... back with favored numbers and non-marked units being moved to Elites, etc.

Right now, Thousand Sons, the way I like to play it, pretty much sucks. I can make a better Thousand Sons army using Loyalist marines or even Necrons.

Right now, that army is boxed up, with only a Heldrake sitting out on a shelf. It literally has no purpose except to take up my army cases.

Do I keep them, locked away in homes of them someday getting overhauled?

Do I build an army list out of the Necron Codex and proxy the army with those models?

Or do I sell the whole thing, and if it ever goes Plastic, start fresh?

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
i always shelve. You never know when a unit will return usable. also i use my unplayable models as proxies or to play thematic games with friends. I painted them, converted them...no way someone elsa can have them guyz.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
I sell armies at the drop of a hat, and while I've sometimes thought 'Man, I wish I had that GK/Ogre/WoC/Dark Eldar/Space Wolf/Necron/CSM army to play with right now', I've never sincerely wished I hadn't sold them. In the same vein, of the few armies I've shelved, I've pretty much never used them again; frankly, they're a waste of space. Not selling stuff on just leads to you hoarding it and having great piles of stuff you never use. I also cull out my armies that are still in use; as soon as I go above about 3k, I'll invariably have some things unpainted and I'll get rid of some of those. I don't need more than 3k, and I'm never going to get it painted, so why not get the money out of it?

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
I have done both. It really depends on if you need the space, need the money or simply don't want the army any more. This would be reason to sell the army. I regularly buy other armies taking pieces I want and selling off the rest of it. Otherwise I would shelve the army. Definitely proxy it with another codex especially if you have several conversions that you like to play. So this way your army is still seeing the tabletop but maybe using a different codex.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Do I keep them, locked away in homes[sic] of them someday getting overhauled?
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
This is GW you're talking about. Much like how the great gods of Chaos focus 99% of their attention on the 'great game', diverting only a fraction of their attention to the material realm for a moment; GW focus 99% of their attention on Space Marines, diverting only a minute fraction of their attention towards the other armies.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
I would say that first it would be best to just play them using a different codex - especially if you get enjoyment out of the game with it.

Second I think that shelving them would be best.

If it comes back that in a year or so & you haven't touched them then I think it would time potentially think of selling.

----

Selling I think should always be the "last" choice of a gamer, once you sell your stuff (in particular with GW nowadays) it's practically the "I'm leaving this forever" move.

I can see selling portions of an army - keeping portions that you like (such as a squad or 3 of the best painted/most converted/coolest) while removing other portions that you do not care about.

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you've got the space, shelve.

Even it means boxing them up and tucking them into the dark forgotten corner of your neighbor's best friend's attic until there's an update, I'd go for it.

I've tried selling things, but the Yorkshire side of me flat out refuses to sell things at a loss, and as such I haven't sold much.

It's probably just a complex I have from watching a friend sell Item A to get some money for Item B, then sell item B to get some money for a brand new Item A. Repeatedly. Seriously boggles my mind.

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
It depends on your motivation I would say. Are you motivated by building your army, painting it and customizing it or do you just want to play the game?

I'm selling some of my older Chaos models at the moment, with the intent of re-buying either other models for the units or rebuying the same unit for a new assembly and/or paintjob. I do this, because I can do those models much better now and I would rather start that model over than remove the paint, greenstuff it up and starting over. It just feels... better to start from scratch.

If you are satisfied with the looks of the models, then shelve it. You never know when you're going to need it.

If you don't like the look and think you can do better, then sell it and buy a new one when/if the time comes.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
The only models I've ever regretted buying were ones based around some rule I thought was cool instead of the rule of cool, and those ones usually have decent resale value anyway (I'm looking at you, vanilla Hammernators). I sell stuff that I can replace with cooler new models (like the new BA Tacs and Termies) but keep pretty much everything else. I also have about 5k in models that is basically auxiliary to my main BA collection and frequently sell those models (that I got in sweet deals as add-ons mostly) to fund the newest shiny GW's come up with.

Did I play my BA Tacticals or Death Company in 5th edition? Never. Do I use them in every single game I play now? Absolutely. Shit, I even started using Dante again and I haven't used him since my first game of 5th around 5 years ago, and before that it was likely 3rd edition. I've owned that model for around 20 years!

Do I keep them, locked away in hopes of them someday getting overhauled?
At least put them on display.

Do I build an army list out of the Necron Codex and proxy the army with those models?
Absolutely. Granted, I could play a 'better' BA army out of the vanilla 'dex...but why the hell would I? Unless you're at a tournament winning shouldn't be the reason you're playing the game. Have fun! Play against people who feel the same!

Or do I sell the whole thing, and if it ever goes Plastic, start fresh?
If you love the army (fluff and models you own), keep it. If you put effort into the models and you can see the history of your hobby in that army, keep it. If it goes to plasic, incorporate the plastic into your army. If after you've done that you strongly dislike the old models: sell them to buy more fancy new plastic!

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
...If it goes to plastic, incorporate the plastic into your army. If after you've done that you strongly dislike the old models: sell them to buy more fancy new plastic!
People will always love the old models too, OOP just screams "MOAR MONEY!" in the price to sell them at.:wink:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm torn on thus issue, too. In the past, I've regretted getting rid of armies. I got rid of my first WFB army (Chaos Dwarfs) and regret it to this day. I got rid of my first 40K army (Eldar) and wound up buying them all over again. After that I just stored an army I got tired of, in the belief I would probably come back to them one day.

Now, I've soured so much on WFB and 40K that I'm seriously considering just selling off the multiple armies I own. It's been a couple years since I played either game and almost as long since I bought anything. All my gaming time and money is spent on other systems now and with each passing month it seems less and less likely I will ever play WFB(AoS) or 40K again. :(.

From a Galaxy far, far away...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts