Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
visit roleplay threads!
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
necron tomb spyders:

If in close combat and engaged with the enemy unit and with scarabs it produced, how is the spyder treated? Does it act like a special character so it can be targeted specifically by the enemy combatants engaged with it, or must the enemy strike only at the group as a whole?

is the only accurate way to tell what hits go against the scarabs and what hits go against the spyder to do each attack one by one until the scarabs are all dead so you know exactly what can hit the spyder?

Flayed ones:

they have a base attack value of 2, on a charge get 3, and I assume their claws count as two single handed weapons so 4 each? I don't know why they wouldn't be but I suppose its possible. Does the same go for wraiths?

techmarine with servo harness:

servo arms are treated as power fists, however there is also a bit in the codex that describes the servo harness as automatically counterbalancing the weight of the servo arms with the techmarine and how it is very easy to move the arms so he can work and focus on the battle at the same time. So my question is do the servo arm attacks hit at initiative 1 or 4?

bolt pistols:

thought pistols could rapid fire? is this ever allowed? the pistol weapon description in the main rule book says they fire one shot. I think this may be another lingering rule I have had in my head from the first person who 'taught' me how to play a couple years ago. I have since learned almost everything I had learned was wrong. (and i've only played one game at a GW store, and no tournaments or anything)

reserves from spearhead deployment:

Even if the deployment was spearhead, reserves can come in anywhere on your edge of the table?

and here is more of an opinion question:

when firing missile launchers at marine equivalents or better as long as it is a unit of infantry, is it always better to fire frag grenades? Particularly these necrons I have some many questions about, I tend to fire krak missiles just because if it hits its like one definitely goes down. The small blast has the potential to hit several, but never seems to knock down more than one anyway, and why bother with the whole scatter die business if its usually the same result in the end?

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
1: The TS is not an IC and is in a coherent unit with the Scarabs, so wounds go to the Scarabs first and the TS last (although remember wound allocations, so if there are enough hits then some saves might have to go to the TS) - but the TS can NOT be singled out by an enemy in CC.

2: All attacks are included in the stat-line, Flayed Ones have 2 attacks basic and 3 attacks on the charge, and don't have two close combat weapons so they never get 4 attacks. The information given is purely for fluff reasons and has no in-game effect. The same applies to Wraiths.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Tomb Spyder:

The Tomb Spyder is part of the same unit as the Scrab swarm, so normal attack and wound allocation procedures apply.

Flayed Ones and Wraiths:

Unless described in the wargear section, things like "Tooth and claw" are merely fluff descriptions and don't count as anything. So, no, as written in the codex those units don't get the two single handed weapon bonus attack.

bolt pistols:

The pistol rules changed fairly radically between 4th and 5th edition. The option to shoot twice has been lost.

·
Super Moderator
5,719 Posts
Even if the deployment was spearhead, reserves can come in anywhere on your edge of the table?
Reserves come in from the long table edge you picked for Deployment, yes.

·
description whore
2,864 Posts
p71 of the space marine codex states that the tech marines servo arm strikes at initiative one
Also states that the harness just give you another attack and various shooting options doesnt boost the initiative

Scatter is just to represent innacurate fire, to make gameplay more realistic. I would only use frag against lightly armoured hordes, other than that krak is probably better

·
Registered
466 Posts
4krak missiles against 10 necron (fnp as we'll be back)

Shooting

krak missiles vs necrons

Calculations by Heresy Combat Calculator™ (powered by HAMulator™)

-----------------------------

Attackers

krak missiles
Shots: 4
Hit Chance: 66.67%
Hits: 2.667
Wound Chance: 83.33%
Wounds: 2.222
Unsaved Wounds: 2.222
Models Killed: 2.222
Options: Ignore Armour, Instakill

Defenders

necrons
Hits: 2.667
Wounds: 2.222
Wounds Lost: 2.222
Models Lost: 2.222 / 10 (22.2%)

Heresy Combat Calculator™ (powered by HAMulator™)
4 frag missiles against 10 necron (assuming each blast hit 7targets)

Shooting

frag missiles vs necrons

Calculations by Heresy Combat Calculator™ (powered by HAMulator™)

Attackers

frag missiles
Shots: 4
Direct Hit Chance: 44.44%
1" Scatter: 7.41%
2" Scatter: 9.26%
3" Scatter: 11.11%
4-6" Scatter: 22.22%
7"+ Scatter: 5.56%
Hits: 28
Wound Chance: 50%
Wounds: 14
Feel No Pain Saves: 2.333
Unsaved Wounds: 2.333
Models Killed: 2.333
Options: Auto Hit, Blast Hits 7

Defenders

necrons
Hits: 28
Wounds: 14
Saves: 9.333
FNP Saves: 2.333
Wounds Lost: 2.333
Models Lost: 2.333 / 10 (23.3%)

Heresy Combat Calculator™ (powered by HAMulator™)
against necron krak missiles outweight frag by far mainly due to we'll be back, if there's an orb near AND the necrons just DSed (so they are tightly packed) frag could be an option, u wont see that happen often anyway

great job combat calculator!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Just for the record, that "Blast hits 7" option is probably a bit optimistic. It's only a small blast marker, so hitting two or three is probably more realistic, reducing the likely kills before WBB to 2. Or expected kill after WBB. If you're expecting MEQ's clustered up tightly, then frag starts to be a better option.

Then again, trying to figure out a decent way of modeling blast weapon scatter without resorting to a graphical interface and playing what-if games with enemy squad layout is making my head hurt. For that matter, trying to figure out how to do the enemy squad layout stuff is, too. :alcoholic:

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Just for the record, that "Blast hits 7" option is probably a bit optimistic. It's only a small blast marker, so hitting two or three is probably more realistic, reducing the likely kills before WBB to 2. Or expected kill after WBB. If you're expecting MEQ's clustered up tightly, then frag starts to be a better option...
While its optimistic to hope that one would hit 7 the example also shows that if you can hit 7 models with each frag then the frag shots will be superior, which can be red as if you only hit 5 or less you should always go for Krak instead.
The Veil of Dorkness teleporting Lord with his posse of robots would defo be such an instance for example, since 6 models can be fitted around 1 25mm base:wink:

Then again there are most likely some kind of Destroyers around begging to be Krak missile target practice, but thats another story :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts