Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my beloved SWs codex came out and everyone discovered you could take drop pods as a fast option I heard all kinds of allied shenanigans. Now with the Flesh Tearer's FOC in Exterminatus it's giving me even more ideas for all those fast attack slots. I just need some help figuring out what needs drop pods more than anything. For a mere 325 points I can bring...

50 Techmarine
65 5x Scouts with Camo

210 6x Drop Pods

First to mind was some grey knights. Maybe some purifiers combat squadded in pods or a first turn Paladin squad.

Inquisition also caught my attention with Acolyte plasma/flamer bombs or some DCA in a pod with the Angel's Fury Spearhead from WD 47 getting a first turn assault.

Another idea is Centurion squads. I just doubt I'd need that many pods.

Any ideas or suggestions would be awesome. Just remember I need 1-2 HQ, 1-4 Troop, and 1-6 fast attack and 0-3 of anything else BA.

I'm looking at 1500 or 1750 and as always, no unbound. I've got just about every imperial faction aside from sisters to work with.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
Angels Fury sucks vinegar soaked testicals.

Problem is with BA is that the don't really need allies, and that other imperials tend to do alright with needing drop pods (or already have their own)

Flesh Tearers;
Techmarine
Tac Squad +Pod
3x Blood Angel Contemptor Dreadnoughts with Blood Talon+Melta and Frag Cannons (570 ish), from IA;Apocalypse (2013)
6x Drop Pods
Defence Line

Brethren of the Fell Handed (Champions of Fenris)
Bjorn (Hellfrost)
2x Ven Dreads (TL Las, Smoke)

Inquisitorial Detachment
OX Inquisitor, 3 Servo Skulls, Psyker Mastery 1 (Divination), Plasma Syphon (80ish)

AFB, not sure on points, but gives you 6 Dreads, 4 on the first turn.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is exactly the kind of out-of-the-box thinking I was talking about. Breth of the Fell-Handed with some servo skulls is an amazing idea. Although I'm not a huge fan of spending points for TTLC on a BS5 model. Hitting with cheap melta on 2's is great if you can dodge those pesky cover saves. Same saves they can take with the Las but not much use turn 2 with the short range. I also like the AssCan but now that they're not free Bjorn would probably be the only one to get one.

And if I'm taking an Inquisitor anyway, it's just very tempting to run a 77 point plasma or flamer throw away pod.

I wish I had some contemptor models as I have the IA2 book. The Seige or TLLC Mortis Dreads also look tempting.

Thanks so much for the imput. You've definitely helped lubricate the gears in my head.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Toying around with a meched up purifier army really showed me how strong cleansing flame is. So I think I found who needs a ride.

175 Crowe

115 5x GKSS (Incinerator)

265 10x Purifier (DH, Incinerator)

65 Librarian

125 5x Tac (Combi-Melta, Meltagun, DP)
125 5x Tac (Combi-Melta, Meltagun, DP)

105 5x Assault (2x Meltagun, DP)
105 5x Assault (2x Meltagun, DP)
35 DP
35 DP
35 DP
35 DP

=1750

This just feels very hit or miss to me. I can see it doing REALLY well in some situations, but doing REALLY bad in others.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Technically it's an Astra Militarum list, but I figured out what can use 6 drop pods.

Astra Militarum CAD

90 CCS (3x Melta)

90 Veterans (3x Melta)
90 Veterans (3x Melta)
105 Veterans (3x Plasma)
105 Veterans (3x Plasma)
105 Veterans (3x Plasma)

170 Vendetta
170 Vendetta

Flesh Tearer's Strike Force

50 Techmarine (warlord)

115 5x Tac (HF, DP)

175 Furioso (Frag Cannon, HF, DP)
175 Furioso (Frag Cannon, HF, DP)

35 DP
35 DP
35 DP
35 DP
35 DP
35 DP

100 Deathstorm Drop Pod (DPA)
100 Deathstorm Drop Pod (DPA)

=1850

11 total pods. 3 with plasma, 3 melta, 3 with templates, and the two infantry smashing deathstorms dealing out all those whirlwind large blasts. Just have to be careful to keep my vets away from those things or they'll get cremated. I'm just not sure if the vendettas have what it takes to realistically deal with flyrant spam.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
not sure if the vendettas have what it takes to realistically deal with flyrant spam
Flyrants are (I'm guessing here based off a game against someone who had to check a lot of rules) T5 with 4/5 Wounds, aren't they? I'd wager you need a higher rate of fire to reliably be putting them down. Are Hydras worth it to you?

I have to point out that 10 Vets in a Pod with 3x Meltas is 10 points more than 5 Assault marines with 2x Meltas and a Combi-Melta in the same transport. Likewise, the 2x Plasma Gun and one Combi-Plasma is 15 points less with 5 marines over 10 Vets. Sure the Guard have more bodies, but 3+ saves equal many less worries about those large blasts and general death.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
And now I feel really stupid. So my face-saving rebuttal will be.... "but what about objective secured?"

Hive tyrant is T6 with 4 wounds and a 3+ save. So I want something that is at least AP3 to force jinks and keep them from shooting. Stormraven can do it. I have two with Melta/Las and those great missiles. Those 75 points saved by switching vets to assault marines will get me those and then some. Guess I can drop a Deathstorm for the heavy slot since two is a bit overkill anyway. But now I've got 115 points... what to do, what to do... KARLAEN! Expensive, but replacing the techmarine with him will give me rerolls on reserves and give me something useful in his place. Still 5 points left. I'm actually really glad you pointed this out. Since razorspam died I've been wondering what to do with all these damned assault marines without jump packs.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
And now I feel really stupid. So my face-saving rebuttal will be.... "but what about objective secured?"
:laugh: no reason to feel stupid brother! As for ObSec, I've been playing in an Escalation League with my BA for the last two months and not once have I regretted my choice of +1 Initiative on the charge. There's been a few instances where I would have attacked first anyway, but there's a lot of I4 in this group so it's nice when it works.

Since razorspam died I've been wondering what to do with all these damned assault marines without jump packs.
This is pretty much it I think. Can't even slap 'em in a Land Raider nice and easy anymore. I guess I need Terminators in this army now to use my big red tank...?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
well I won't get the initiative boost, but I get where you're coming from on the codex/supplement detachments and lack of obsec. The only time I'd see it being a big deal is in malestrom. I put this list together with karlaen and the funky bunch and it looks pretty funny on a shelf. I didn't have enough BA combi-weapons so I had to use SW models that have powerfists for some god awful reason. The new list looks like:

160 Karlaen

120 5x Tac (MB, HF, DP)

115 5x Assault (Combi, 2x Melta, DP)
125 5x Assault (Combi, 2x Plas, DP)

175 Furioso (Frag, HF, DP)
175 Furioso (Frag, HF, DP)

200 Stormraven (TLLC, TLMM)
200 Stormraven (TLLC, TLMM)
100 Deathstorm DP (DPA)

=1850

I never us landraiders anymore. I have like 6 collecting dust. They are just too expensive for what they actually do. I was contemplating some kind of DA bolter banner and power field shennanigans with LRCs, but bikes are cheaper.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
well I won't get the initiative boost
What do you get for using this Detachment? I almost got the Shield of Baal stuff but the super communicative employees at the LGS I've been going to recently botched it ending up in my hands. Also, is Karlaen mandatory?

Loving the list, but you have Furiosos overcost by 10 points. Read the wording of how to upgrade its arms a bit closer, you now have 20 points to toss into that Tactical squad (where Karlaen could fit no problem).

I have a dual LRR list with GK and IF that has done me surprisingly well. It's a -lot- of points in two units, but damn did it get shit done. My big red tank though, without an Assault squad inside, is pretty much done unless I build up foot slogging DC and Jump DC...which is always a possibility.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good looking out on the Fragiosos. Karlaen isn't manditory, he just gives me rerolls to reserves and fills an HQ slot. The flesh tearer's strike force is really the only thing (aside from karlaen) that I typically use from the shield of baal books. Though there is one where you can take 6 furiosos. This particular detachment gives you Rage if you roll a 10 or better for the charge. Not bad on my jump pack force, it's just a rare boost though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts