Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I came back into the hobby one year ago and started building up a Word Bearers / Daemons army. Some of the first miniatures I've done are displayed into my showcase.

Today, I'm starting up the next step : adding some variety to my army list and trying to go one step further into modelling and finishing up miniatures.

Basically, I would like to get some global advises in order to improve my skills and techniques. I wanted my colour scheme (red, chainmail and bronze) to look dirty without being dull.

For a start, here is my first bike (I have bought 6 "pre-painted" bikes upon ebay, the one in the background being what I used to finally get the one in foreground). This one still needs some parchments (handmade, but I'm not sure how to do them yet), basing and has been my first test for the Battle of Calth transfers.

Still 3 bikes to be added (at least) !

·
Registered
158 Posts
Its great to see another Word Bearers player! To address the dirty look, I usually just wash the specific parts with Agrax Earthshade, and lighten it back up with the original colour if it appears to be too dull. About the parchments, that is still something I have no idea about, lots of people tell me to use space marine purity seals, but I want something a bit more evil. I think green stuff might look good, but you may have to practise a bit before going straight onto the models.

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Welcome to the world of Word Bearers!

All in all it depends on how you want to do it - My experience shows that to show the grit, you need something to contrast it against. You can wash it as many times as you want with any shade, but if there's nothing for it to "clash" against, then the effect will be for nought.

Find a brighter red and get a few areas painted up - Then you will see the effect much more clearly.

You can see what I mean on these fellows right here, which I used as a tester for my WB scheme, for smaller models. While they don't look dirty, you can see that the brighter red makes the dark look even darker:

In terms of parchments, I can recommend using grey stuff, instead of green. Grey seems to be a bit tougher and you can stretch it more, while keeping it durable. I made the parchments on these guys using grey stuff, while having no experience in playing with the stuff:

Hope it helps!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm using plain black wash for the shades, but could try up something a little more grey (like Agrax Earthshade is, if I'm not mistaken ?).

I have made some tries, in the past, with brighter red (here, I use Mephiston Red, and tried up Blood Red before), but it makes them to close to my old Blood Angels and Khorne Daemons. I'll try up some highlights with this, though (even if I'm not quite keen at highlightning).

Thanks !

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Nice! :good:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Warp Talon Champion. First attempt for a simple rubble basing.

And one Terminator (in need of some details, but not sure about the time I'll finish it). First attempt with magnetized arms too.

For the parchments, I think I'll have a try with paper ones, and see how they look before going towards green or grey stuff (I could need a lot of them).

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Little update after some time : I wanted to work upon my Possessed Marines and finalize them with another basing technique based upon wood shaving, some transfers and free hand drawings.

I have painted the last Gal Vorbak and added a possessed Icon Bearer to the squad marked by Slaanesh.

The squad marked by Khorne will be completed with the Blade Slaves, Zardu Layak joining the other squad as ML 2 Possessed Sorcerer.

C/C welcomed ;)

Next to come are : the basing of a Keeper of Secrets (in order to get it "finished"), Skull Cannon and Landraider (except if I first go towards Zardu Layak, the Blade Slaves or the Mhara Gal dreadnought).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts