Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So to be frank, I do not like space marines. They are bland, boring, generic poster boys with cookie cutter characters and sweet fuck all in the way of actual themes.

With one exception. The Space Wolves. Ever the only chapter of Space Marine that could hold my interest, and now my discipline has finally cracked. With the inevitable re-release of the SW codex (Codex: Vlka Fenryka???) I decided to make a go of an army from the codex, using the models, and running around a theme of my own concoction.

However, I did not want to just do generic Space Wolves either. They're too feral for my liking. Awesome in their own savage way, but not quite what I was after. The models were fine and the codex gave me all the options I needed, but the theme needed to be tweaked. So I decided that I would not be doing Space Wolves persay, but rather a lesser variant. Not quite wolves. More like Space... Coyotes?

So, there cometh my theme. Space Coyotes. A small chapter, scavenger by nature and cunning when on the hunt.

I have already formed a loose basis for fluff to motivate the list building, and it calls for natural similarities between the Wolves and these guys. Namely, the presence of large vicious furry pets.

So to begin with, a simple kit. A Fenrisian wolf kit, to represent my first Coyote Hunting Pack.

The kit was remarkably simple, with each body being in two sections, and each head also in two sections.

The completed pack.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Interesting idea, sir! I'm excited to see how the models turn out. I've always liked the idea of doing variant animal themed chapters. Please keep us posted!

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Brother! :good:

The heads are in two parts as well? Most interesting....
I figured these little doggies would build like the old WFB wolves. You know, two halves of the body with a head and a tail to attach.
Guess I was wrong :laugh:

If I ever get the Sons on the go again, I want to add some of these.
"Here boy! Here! Heel. Heel! Drop it. DROP it..... Fluffles, put the Ork head down......!"

·
Registered
602 Posts
I seriously Despise that Kit. for the same price you get twice as many direwolves from the Vampires, or you can get 10 wolf riding goblins. infact im pretty sure hellhounds if you can find them from WoC are 10 for that price aswell.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats pretty neat that you chose Coyotes. Did you know anything about them before you chose that? My God Father is one of those older guys, and he always tell me stories about how more vicious they were compared to wolves and so and so forth.
Aww, they're just big ol fluffy puppies. :laugh:

But seriously yes, I've done some research into coyotes, animal and myth. :good:

Sounds like a great theme, and I am a big fan of armies like this. What more can we expect? How do you intend to portray the scavenger side of the theme?
Mostly via tactics and loadout. Since my chapter will represent one at diminished strength, they will have resorted to hit and run guerrilla tactics and there will be significantly less in the way of vehicles and war machines with an abundance of trained coyote packs added in.

I seriously Despise that Kit. for the same price you get twice as many direwolves from the Vampires, or you can get 10 wolf riding goblins. infact im pretty sure hellhounds if you can find them from WoC are 10 for that price aswell.
This is true, and I did weigh my options. In the end though, these were the best kit for the job. They were the only ones I could really tie a coyote feel to, most other canine kits are either too fel or too wolf. Plus, I just plain like the models better.

·
Registered
602 Posts
This is true, and I did weigh my options. In the end though, these were the best kit for the job. They were the only ones I could really tie a coyote feel to, most other canine kits are either too fel or too wolf. Plus, I just plain like the models better.
fair enough, i use my WoC hounds, and if the new SW dex is worth my time and has more variations away from the SM dex ill finish my GS work on them.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The coyote pack is primed and waiting for my free time this weekend, assuming I get any.

Making use of a spare half hour this evening, I made a start on prepping the next additions to my greater pack.

First, some troops.

And a leader.

I didn't get a whole lot into it tonight, but this is a start. One of the most prominent things I wanted to do was replace the useless staff the psyker carries with a decent weapon, namely a sword.

Hopefully more to come over the next two or three days. With any luck I'll have a painted sample or two done over the weekend. :good:

·
8,723 Posts
I didn't get a whole lot into it tonight, but this is a start. One of the most prominent things I wanted to do was replace the useless staff the psyker carries with a decent weapon, namely a sword.
Having just looked at a picture of the sprue he comes on, I hadn't realised the arms were separate in on piece like that.
Consider your idea stolen, and jotted down :good:

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Having just looked at a picture of the sprue he comes on, I hadn't realised the arms were separate in on piece like that.
Consider your idea stolen, and jotted down :good:
You bastard! :training:

·
8,723 Posts
You love it really :laugh:

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The completed squad.

I went with both plasma guns and an axe for my first grey hunters. The next squad will likely be the same, mostly because I have a habit of taking double redundancies with almost everything (tyranid things).

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SATURDAY! Got some painting done today, the coyote pack I bought first. Was rather simple.

I used a coat of Rakarth flesh over the bottom, and balor brown on the fur over top. After this, I drybrushed calthan brown over the top and gave the lot an agrax earthshade wash.

At the same time, I began putting the base coats on my infantry units. Since I wasn't doing actual space wolves, I kept the librarian's armour the traditional librarian blue. The other marines I went with a desert colour scheme, so the best for the job seemed to be jokaero orange. The next step was picking out the shoulder guards and kneepads where I could with a flat red. After this the model was washed with re-something fleshshade.

The next step was to pick out a colour for the bases. I used the citadel texture blackfire earth. This ended up being a remarkably similar shade to the armour, so I differentiated it by using a carrouburgh crimson wash instead of fleshshade.

While this was drying I picked out the wolf tails and pelts on the marines with balor brown and an earthshade wash, visible in both pics.

Next came a few minor fiddly details to finish up the day. These being the red and white for the maw and teeth of each wolf, and blue for the frost axe and librarian's sword.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SUNDAY! More painting.

But before that, some grass tufts. Because there are still grass tufts in the desert. :cool:

After this, there was no real direction to go, so I started picking out details in any order they occurred to me. Weapons were metal with a black wash, eyes and weapon blades were Temple Guard blue with a guilleman glaze. Trinkets and bones were rakarth flesh with a black wash.

The chest glyphs, and those little diamonds they have were just white with a blue glaze to add to the contrast by the eyes.

Towards the end of the day, I finished off the coyotes by picking out the eyes with white and then giving them a black wash before patching up the fur around them and red rimming the base.

Thus is my progress so far.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Nice stuff Serpion, it really looks good and very different to the Space Wolves colours. Tell me, have you thought of a fluff alternative for their new frost crystal weapons?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Love the Coyote look and feel. my one critique would be coyotes have patches of black and grey and silver along with the reds but thats just me. the marines look lovely i like the desert bases they rock.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts