Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 1500pt+ armies, there's usually some of both. However, in smaller (1500pt- armies) taking both would really take the model count way below the standard. So my question is, in a 1000pt army, would it be more efficient to take a single exorcist (135pts), or a 5-strong squad of seraphs (134pts-ish)?

Personally, for a 1000pt army i'd take:
Canoness
Eviscerator
Cloak of St. Aspira
Jump Pack
Bolt Pistol
Krak Grenade
[113]
4x Battle Sister Squad (9+Sister Superior)
4x Flamer
4x Veteran Superior
4x Book of St. Lucius
4x Rhinos
4x Smoke Launcher
[752]
Exorcist
[135]

·
Registered
383 Posts
I think an Exorcist will almost always be more valuable in that army. It's your only long range anti-armor, and that 48" range allows you to better dictate the flow of the battle (force them to react to you) than one small unit of jump infantry.

Seraphs are much more situational. Give them meltabombs and they're great in an anti-vehicle assault...but you have to get them there first. They also give Faith and can Deepstrike. But if I'm staring down your (solid, by the way) core of 40 meched Sisters and a jumpy Cannoness, I'd be a lot more worried about the Exorcist than 5 Seraphs.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Exorcist, absolutely no question.

I like Seraphim, but they really aren't that good, the Exorcist is one of the best units in the game (on average - it's possible to roll nothing but ones).

EDIT: Oh, and loose the krak grenades from your Canonness - what are they going to do that an Eviscerator can't?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just for the fun of it, I came up with a slightly less solid version of the list. The idea is that since most players nowadays seem to go for MEQ armies, a list specifically tuned to deal with armour would fare better.
The canoness is tooled to be the bane of pretty much every single tank in the game, provided she can get to them. The dominions are there to kill off whatever armour is left afterwards, and potentially IC, terminators, etc with the Immolator, which isn't a bad buy at +15pts for a heavy flamer with the ability to re-roll failed wounds.
I haven't played with this list yet, suggestions welcome.

Canoness
Eviscerator
Cloak of St. Aspira
Jump Pack
Inferno Pistol
Frag Grenade
Krak Grenade
[126]
2x Dominon Squad (4+Sister Superior)
6x Meltagun
2x Veteran Superior
2x Immolator
2x Smoke Launcher
[364]
2x Battle Sister Squad (9+Sister Superior)
2x Veteran Superior
2x Book of St. Lucius
2x Auspex
2x Rhino
2x Smoke Launcher
[368]
Exorcist
Extra Armour
[140]
Total: 1000pts, 6 Faith

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Exorcist every time, i have 2 in my 1500 point list

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Again - What s your Canonness going to do with Krak grenades that she cannot do with an Eviscerator? In aditiion, you should strongly consider giving her a Mantle of Ophelia - 2+/2++ is damned good but sooner or later one shot will sneak through and one STR6 wound is all it takes.

Anyway - to be frank the second list is much worse than the first. You'll really be struggling with only two troop choices. Neither of your Battle Sister squads seem to have any special weapons - which are critical. (I'm guessing you don't own any Heavy Flamers, so that's not really your fault).

When fighting MEQ we only really have one viable tactic, but it's a damned good one. Crack transports with the Exorcist and then hose down whatever falls out with Divine Guidance Bolters and flamers.

Kudos on picking up Auspices, though - a much overlooked item, but with the potential to really spoil someone's plans, and for a bargain price.

·
Grey Knight Converter
2,169 Posts
Definitely go exorcist of seraphim. In a 1000 point game, the exorcist is going to dictate and influence the game more than the seraphim. Also in a small game if you do take seraphim it will be a small unit which makes them even less likely to influence the game. But an exorcist hugging cover and ruin an entire army all on its own.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Again - What s your Canonness going to do with Krak grenades that she cannot do with an Eviscerator? In aditiion, you should strongly consider giving her a Mantle of Ophelia - 2+/2++ is damned good but sooner or later one shot will sneak through and one STR6 wound is all it takes.

Anyway - to be frank the second list is much worse than the first. You'll really be struggling with only two troop choices. Neither of your Battle Sister squads seem to have any special weapons - which are critical. (I'm guessing you don't own any Heavy Flamers, so that's not really your fault).

When fighting MEQ we only really have one viable tactic, but it's a damned good one. Crack transports with the Exorcist and then hose down whatever falls out with Divine Guidance Bolters and flamers.

Kudos on picking up Auspices, though - a much overlooked item, but with the potential to really spoil someone's plans, and for a bargain price.
Just wasn't sure if a single exorcist and winged canoness would be enough to crack heavy armour (AP13/14). Heavy flamer sisters are hard to get in asia, especially with the absence of GW stores. Admittedly though, the original list would probably work better.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Indeed - if you can't get a specific model, there's not a lot you can do.

The simple thing is to put a meltagun and a flamer in every Battle sister squad for anti-armour.

Personally, I don't - I put equip my Battle sisters with a Flamer and a Heavy Flamer and give the Sisters superior either a Combi-Flamer or Eviscerator. My anti-armour is extremely limited - basically just 2-3 Eviscerators and two Exorcists.

I just accept that, chances are the Land Raider will survive, but I'm damned sure I'll kill whatever comes out of it with that many rending flamers.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
The Exorcist is all hype, and I don't buy it.

I've played many games with them and while the possible roll of a 6 sounds awesome, you will find yourself regretting taking it when you roll 1-2s.

Let's face it. You are taking an Exorcist tank to take out Leman Russ's and Land Raiders. On average you get 3 shots, 2 hit, and if lucky 1 glances, which then on average doesn't do much. Waste of 135 points.

What the Exorcist is really for is the AP1 and killing high armor squads. If your looking for long range anti armor *waves hand* this isn't the army your looking for.

·
Registered
227 Posts
If you're finding it difficult to manage AV14 consider the Immolator with a TL Multimelta and Smoke Launchers. Unless your enemy is hugging the rear table with his Land Raider or Leman Russ, you should get into melta range second turn.

In 1500pts. I run two Exorcists and one Immolator as described above. The key to success with both of these vehicles is to never show your sides (and, for the love of god, your rear) to the enemy. Stay close to buildings, walls, or the short table edges and keep pressure on them.

Like Arcane said, Witch Hunters weren't made to just sit back and hammer your opponent with shots. March them forward as a firing line and focus on one or two targets a turn. Concentrated fire is the name of the game.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I've never met an enemy that didn't hug the back wall with his Leman Russ's. So IMO, melta just isn't going to cut it. That's why I like the Seraphim. If they make it back there, you can quickly destroy all their tanks.

A HUGE factor is though whether or not you allow hit and run on vehicles, which is a whole nother topic unto it's self (and something we will never know the answer to until there is a new codex). If allowed, Seraphim can be one of the best anti tank models in the game.

·
Registered
227 Posts
No, you can't hit and run vehicles. Hit and Run states that you have to break off if you and your opponent were not forced to flee. Since vehicles cannot be tied up in close combat (in order to break off) and are never called to make morale tests (to not be forced to flee), then Hit and Run doesn't proc.

I also use Seraphim in my 1500pts. list, but not as anti tank. I find they get mowed down by enemy shooting or tied up in assaults before they can even reach my enemy's tanks.

With the MM Immolator, (assuming we're playing a pitched battle here) you can move 12" first turn and pop smoke to stay safe. This puts you at 12" from the enemy's front line, 24" from their back. Move 6" next turn this puts you 18" from enemy's back line and since most vehicles are around 6" long themselves, this puts you within 12" for MM. Granted, there is a chance for the Immolater to get taken down in one turn, but the same is true for anything you field on the table.

·
Grey Knight Converter
2,169 Posts
Personally, I think they both have their uses, I find my seraphim are usually aimed at infantry instead of vehicles, however they do have an eviserator and melta bombs to deal with vehicles if they cross paths, but mostly they flame and charge weakened units and usually avoid combat oriented units.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts