Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am starting to play again with my Chaos space marine and i would really like to add some daemon allies to my army. I am pretty sure that would be a really cool army to play.

My CSM force is mostly composed of nurgle models and i was thinking about buying the following:

20 plaguebearers
1 Herald of Nurgle (should i get two?)
at least 1 box of plague drones
3 beasts of nurgles.....

I was hoping that the plague drones and nurgle beast could provide some speed and diversion (along with my CSM bikes or spawn) while the rest of the army Plague marines and plaguebearers helldrakes etc...take positions....

What do you think?....Should i get different models??

What would you daemon players would suggest to add to a nurgle CSM army...It does not have to be entirely nurgle but if they are competitive i will choose them over other marks...

Also what HQ would you recommend...???

My meta is fairly competitive so it needs to be competitive...

Tks for your help

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
A small squad of Plaguebearers makes an excellent squad of objective campers--better than cultists, far tougher, and only a bit more expensive. Also not likely to run off the board when somebody sneezes in their direction, and also possibly capable of beating a handful of marines if it comes down to it to win the game and hold your objective.

A large blob of Plaguebearers deep striking into cover with a Herald with Fertility is a very hard rock to shift, unless your opponent is generously loaded down with flamers and shooting/templates that ignore cover (I'm looking at you, Tau and Noise Marines). On the other hand, it also means that you can't get a GUO, who is an absolute monster to kill (unless your opponent has poisoned weaponry).

Soul Grinders are cheaper and better than Defilers, extremely tough (especially when hogging a 2+ cover save thanks to DoN+obscured by ruin), and all around lovely. Plus they give you a bit more anti-air capability, which CSM definitely lack, though it's a bit more of a gamble at BS3 without a Tzeentchi daemon throwing rerolls to hit on it. Still, easy buy.

Beasts are good tagging along with CSM as a defensive deterrent/helping your forward elements against enemy counter-attacks. Plague Drones, too, are fun and solidly tough.

Here an idea as to what to get/how to build the allied contingent:

Herald w/ fertility

20 plaguebearers
10 plaguebearers

3 Drones

Soul Grinder with DoN and Phlegm

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Tks for the input..

I think you are right about plaguebearers...just having shroud makes them a lot better than cultist or zombies and we are not even talking about what the herald can give them....

As for plague drones, is three enough or should i get more?

Do not hesitate to suggest any other units, even if they are not nurgle...i love competitive stuff and like i said....my meta is really competitive....

One thing i like about daemons is that they can also help to protect my lord with that stupid rules that forces him to issue challenge....with so many good hq...which one would you suggest?

I play a lot against DE...so they strike fast and can kill my Lord easy if left unprotected....i am looking at daemons to put pressure on the opponent rather than always being defensive...

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Oooh, with Dark Eldar then GUOs (and to a lesser degree Beasts and Drones) are still put down pretty easily--all those poisoned shots. Daemons unfortunately don't have much long ranged shooting, which you need at mid-high strength to be able to break those Raiders, Ravagers, Venoms, etc.

They're no Forgefiend... though they can make a Forgefiend almost guaranteed to shatter an enemy vehicle per turn, and all the harder to kill as well. You simply go like so:

Forgefiend with 2 HACs (1 mouth EPC optional but suggested, if you have the points)

Herald of Tzeentch/Lord of Change with the Grimoire of True Names.

The psyker takes a Divination psychic power and swaps it for Prescience, giving the BS 3 Forgefiend rerolls to hit. Then you use the Grimoire during your turn to give the Forgefiend (who has the Daemon rule, so is eligible) a 3+ invulnerable save. Bam. Good luck getting through that AV12 3++ tank with your Lances, DE...

Add to that the idea of a large blob of Horrors (with the Herald with the Locus of Conjuration for S6 Flickering Fire, which coming from both the Horrors and the Herald should kill any DE tank that comes within 24"), possibly behind an ADL (so they can go to ground for a rerollable 2+ cover save).

Fiends of Slaanesh help your CSM get to attack first--hit those Wyches (or whatever) with a charge by Fiends and Bikers at the same time (which you might well have the mobility to pull off, if you crack their transport early) and none of the enemy will live to see the light of dawn. Just spitballing some ideas.

Keep in mind that your Lord can't join any unit with the "Daemon of ____" special rule, so that means no lumping him in with a Codex: Chaos Daemons unit.

Another nice thing about plaguebearers over cultists: they ignore pinning and morale checks against shooting, so they won't ever flee the board.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oooh, with Dark Eldar then GUOs (and to a lesser degree Beasts and Drones) are still put down pretty easily--all those poisoned shots. Daemons unfortunately don't have much long ranged shooting, which you need at mid-high strength to be able to break those Raiders, Ravagers, Venoms, etc.
The long range shooting will be provided by probably two squads of havocs with autocannons behind an aegis defence line or maybe obliterators...I am not a fan of forgefiends (too easily destroyed) and found the much cheaper maulerfiend able to wreck vehicles quite easily...it also provides a big distraction. That being said, i might be wrong..

I know that all those poison shots don't care about your thougness but like i said, the Daemon are there to create problems for my opponent while my plague marines get into position....with a squad of plaguebearers holding an objective, another bigger blob with herald deepstriking to go and grab another and plague marines...it look like a very though army to move off the board....

That being said, it is a slow army which is why i also have fast elements...

For the plague drones, isn't there a banner you can give them to help deepstrike the plaguebearers?? that could prove to be very useful...

add a maulerfiend (or two), spawn or bikes along with plague drone and/or beast of nurgle and you have some fast elements to create a lot of problems while the slower part of the army gets into position....

Also, let's not forget about the helldrake :)

Herald of Tzeentch/Lord of Change with the Grimoire of True Names.

The psyker takes a Divination psychic power and swaps it for Prescience...
That i have to admit is quite nice....being able to give prescience to a squad of havocs or any other capable unit is a very nice bonus....

tks for taking the time to provide advice, i trully appreciate...and sorry for my bad english...

·
Registered
172 Posts
I found character slaying success with a surprising unit from the fast attack section.
Herald,slaanesh,beguilement,steed,eternal blade,
20steeds slashes, full command, lash,

It's 425points but it's a fast moving, hard hitting, character slaying death star Of excess.
Special mention to infiltrating nurglings aswell, royal pain in the arse.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I run 20 plaguebearers with a herald of nurgle.

Give the herald an exalted gift and let him take the grimoire of true names. In the movement phase you get to use it. Roll a D6 and on a 3-6 his unit gets +2 to their save. On a roll of 1-2 it gets worse by 1. It works really well for objective camping or holding up deathstar units.

Also give the herald the feel no pain locus. The nurgle psykic powers are pretty good to if you want to spend the points on psyker levels (I take level 2 on mine)

As the for the unit - I do take the champion upgrade just to be able to take a balesword on him. It inflicts instant death. Perfect for monsterous creature or character killing.

I tend to deepstrike the unit near an enemy objective to contest then claim it, depending on the mission ofc. Be careful with plaguebearers deepstriking tho. They cant run as they are slow and purposeful.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts