Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the SM codex, search lights can only be used when Night Fight rules are in use, but since Tau stealth suits use night fighting rules to hide themselves can you use a searchlight against them?

I only ask because i just dropped my melta bomb on my commander to give him a bolt pistol and auspex and have two points left over so i thought i might as well give my vindicator and rhino a search light, and though having searchlights may combat stealth suits since i hate them.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
I would say no because the searchlight can only be used 'in missions where the Night Fighting mission special rule is in effect'

Unless you;re playing a night fight, that rule is not in effect.

Stealth suits may use night fighting as an allegory for how their spotting range works, but that's not the same thing as having the night fighting rules in effect for the misison.

That said, it's not a bad idea to have a search light just in case

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeah, i suppose so, my force will probably get totally destroyed if i don't utterly destroy any close combat forces and with night fight, i may not even be able to bring my arsenal to bear.

What do you think is best giving a searchlight to my dreadnaught or vindicator?

I just realised i don't think i can fire the vindicators ordinance weapon if i fire the search light.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I like Search Lights. Of course, as a Dark Angels player, I get them free anyway. :grin:

It can be worthwhile on either platform. Is the Dreadnought Venerable? If not, you might not want to expose it to incoming fire. In that case, give the search light to the Vindicator instead.

I agree with Galahad. Search Lights won't help targeting Stealth Suits or Grey Knights.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Depends on what the dread is armed with, but average roll on 2d6x3" is 21" so unless it has a missile launcher or lascannon, the spotlight is only going to be of marginal use on either model.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mines armed with a Twin-linked Lascannon, as i said in an edit just i can't fire my vindicators primary weapon if i fire the searchlight. Don't forget it means the target is visible to every other unit in my army to not just the dreadnaught.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
The search light is *not* counted as a weapon.

You can turn on the search light and still fire the trashcan o' doom.

That said, I'd give it to the dread anyway. Most of the time your spotting roll will be near or beyond the end of your range for the vindicator anyhow, and it draws enough fire on its own. Best to use the darkness as an advantage and shield your vindi from long-range retalliation while you bring yourself up a little closer to the target than normal.

·
Inquisitor
963 Posts
Per the rules for Tau Stealth Field Generators items which modify night fighting do NOT work against them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts