Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so well I wait for some parts to get in I thought I would get some sculpting in and try and build a gundam/tau battle suit here is the wip.
Looking for some cc comments and critique :). This is my 4th month sculpting I think so be nice as well :*)

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
would it be easer to take a small modeling dummy and build around that?

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
Armature wire is a tried and true method, but it can be difficult.

For starting out I think you're doing fine. Do you have decent tools to create flat edges? Based on surface tension the edges won't be perfect while working, but you can always sand edges down with a needle file or scrape them with a hobby knife.

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
Are you working off of a sketch? If not, it helps tremendously. Keeps you focused on what you wanted to sculpt.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
As @Krueger has said the most difficult part of what you are attempting will be the hard edges. I am not a fan of sanding. By its very nature green stuff is flexible so sanding is tricky. You can either use a different material for the edges (brown stuff is good for this) or maybe add milliput to the green stuff to give it a harder curing and would make it easier to sand.

For me you are better learning how to create hard edges from GS. The best way I have found of doing this is to build a base structure in the general shape of what you need. Once this has fully cured (probably 3 hours depending on the blue/green ratio you use) you can put a thin layer of green stuff on top. Using the rounded end of the sculpting tool you can rub it gentle up and down on the opposing sides to create the hard edge. That sounded really complicated and it really isn't. Maybe I should do a tutorial.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
damn caps locks making me retype Ok now with out the caps :D

I think you guys are right it is looking pretty accurate but not flat enough so I think "since it is still in the progress stage. I will straight edging with plasticard. I was thinkiking of using the smallest plasticard possible for the flat surfaces. Will give update soon :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts