Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im planning my first 40K army, Daemons. I intend to buy as few models as possible and make the majority myself. I have started on 8 plague bearers, a flamer, 5 nurgling bases and a great unclean one (below). I plan to make epidimius, a herald on juggernaught (a clawed nurgle daemon on a bloated boar) and more plaguebearers. Im using dire wolves as flesh hounds, and carrion as screamers. I might also make a pair of beasts of nurgle. Heres a WIP pic of my Greater Daemon, alot needs doing to him yet. :victory:

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
Wow. That is an ambitious project you have there. GD looks good but we need more pics.

·
Great Unclean One
2,611 Posts
As a devoted follower of Father Nurgle, a few things occur to me...

• Using a cocktail stick section for teeth is fine, but they all have a slightly blunted tip at the same point. It might not look like much now, but that's the sort of thing that's going to really stand out in a finished & painted model; I'd strongly suggest either filing or sandpapering the tips of at least some of those teeth to an actual point, and also using a scalpel to striate and score the tips of others. That way some will look worn, as though they've been gnawing on things, and you won't have all the teeth looking as though they've had the ends filed off at the same point. Also, real spiky teeth are never straight (Google some pictures of anglerfish to see what I mean); try to bend them a little, give them some curvature so they look more realistic.

• You could also add some smaller teeth made out of green stuff between the wooden ones, so there's a stronger impression of a line of teeth making up an actual jawline.

• You might consider making the 'tongue' flatter in cross-section, more like an actual tongue; at the moment it looks a bit too tentacle-y (purely IMHO, of course). The way the wire bends is fine for a tongue, just try to make sure it has a 'grain' that runs along the tongue so it's obviously a separate piece of tissue extending out to the model's right; I usually do that sort of thing by using the back edge of a scalpel blade to make very, very fine lines running along the length of a piece of flesh.

• The innermost jawline - the nearest one to the centre of the mouth, where the tongue originates - seems to be only empty sockets. I'd suggest adding at least some teeth in there to reinforce the visual of concentric mouths - were you using the drawing of the GUO from the old 'Hordes Of Chaos' book as inspiration for this?

All that said, he's already looking fairly nifty; I look forward to seeing the finished monstrosity :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thankyou very much to both of you, im particularly pleased iv caught your eye svartmetall, as a big nurgle fan! I have in fact thought about almost all the points you have made for improvements, but was yet to find better solutions so big thankyou ill sort those teeth tomorrow night. The inner-jaw sockets will be filled with small teeth soon, and the tongue will be more like another set of jaws on tentacle, similiar to the chaos spawn in the old beasts of chaos book. More pcs will come soon, shots from allrund aswell as close ups on details. Again thankyou to both of you so far :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Plague father, flamer, plague bearers and nurglings WIP

Just few more pics of the early stages of some of my units, aswell as slow progress on the geat unclean one :) Hope hes looking better. And you can now see alot more of him. I do have a clear picture in my head of the outcme of alot of these models, but any extra ideas and suggestions are more than welcome. :victory:

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Some fantastic and clearly unique looking deamons you're working on there! Have some rep for some great sculpting, miles beyond my own sculpting talents (if you could even call them talents in my case...).

Keep up the great work, can't wait to see a whole army of these.Though I agree with svartmetall about the Greater Deamons teeth.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think i will ifat sculpt the teeth fromgreen stuff, but will be one of the later things i do because im not too confidnt with tinyteeth yet :L :p Glad you guys like my stuff so far! And thanks for the Rep :)

·
Punx For Life
946 Posts
nice work monkey.
the four little one's on the base look like the slug things out of trapdoor or whatever it was called.
"Don't you open that trapdoor, your a fool if you dare"

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
These look great. A lot better than I could do.

+ rep

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Unfortunately, no..

did you scratch build the flesh hounds?!
Unfotnnately not haha, i like the fait you had in me though :). And, i will eveualy try to sculpt a count as karanak to match them :)
Those are infact VC dire wolves.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nurgle bray shaman.

Ok, hes not from my daemons, but i thought you all might be interested :).
Hes from my beastmen army (wich has slowed to a stoprcetly..).
Hope you like him!:victory:

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
1,443 Posts
wow the little one eyed things are brilliant, would i be right in saying they are nurglings.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Indeedy

wow the little one eyed things are brilliant, would i be right in saying they are nurglings.
They are indeedy :D glad you like them, im started to devope them last night (tonight?).

·
It looked great on paper.
255 Posts
This looks great, +rep

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The tally man and his minions.

This is a WIP of my Epidemius. Also, some close ups of the progressing nurglings. These little blobs are my favourites so far :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts