Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always enjoy building and converting models, but ive never been able to get hold of large sheets of plastic thick enough to have the integrety thet a few millimetres would give the structure.

ive always hade to salvage flat plastic from other models that I have came across. Could people with knowledge please give me advice on this, thank you.

·
Links Manager
1,007 Posts
Have you tried something like plasticard yet?

Ebay has some excellent sellers, though it takes a bit of searching. Had some good experiences with this guy

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
great help, thanks. It seems weird buying materials on ebay. Are these good prices?

·
Links Manager
1,007 Posts
Well I have no access to stuff like this, save for a single sheet here and there. So for me its good value for money. But then again I'm in another country :wink:

·
Registered
999 Posts
FREE stuff:

Go to a sign making store. Every town has one. They use tons of plastic sheet. They have a lot of scrap that you can usually get for FREE.

Go to a picture framing store/poster print shop. They have lots of scrap foam core. They will usually give you the scrap for FREE.

Go to a plumber/heating and cooling company. They have lots of scrap PVC. You can usually get some for FREE.

Go to a shoe store. You know those little plastic sticks they place in women's dress shoes? Those are used to hold the form of the shoe while it is in the box. Those make great pistons and/or other supports. They will give them to you for FREE.

Go to a computer repair store. They have lots of broken PC parts; fans, circuit boards, shells, wires, ribbons, etc. They will give you broken parts FREE.

Go to a 1 hour photo store. Their rolls of paper for printing photos come on these really short, really thick (1/2") cardbaord tubes. The tubes are great for scenery, but they also have a plastic circular disc on each end. Those discs are great for scenery and giant gears. they will give you the cardboard roll for FREE. Also ask them for any disboseable cameras they have gotten the film out of. They throw the camera away. It's lens is a great port-hole window for tanks or ships. It also has other gear type goodies inside.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Wow, how do you approach that though? :?

"Can i have some free junk?"

Seriosly, i'll try that sometime. I need plasticard.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Anphicar said:
Wow, how do you approach that though? :?

"Can i have some free junk?"

Seriosly, i'll try that sometime. I need plasticard.
You'd be amazed. Most places love to give away their trash. It saves them time and energy of throwing it away on their own. Imagine if someone wanted to come to your house and pick up your trash for free.

Like I always say, "When it comes to scenery, never pay for materials you can always get for free."

·