Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently debating on weather to put wolf pelts onto my scouts or not, greenstuffed of coarse. it would be an interesting setup for them and I am truly trying to decide If I ultimately want to or not. any thoughts, or tips on how to bring it out fully would be appreciated.

(note: I put it here in modeling and painting since I am more looking for thoughts and advice on how to make it well, I will make a new project thread for them most likely when I get around to doing it)

·
Registered
74 Posts
The concept sounds cool. (I'm assuming your doing space wolves) and depending how your basing them (space wolves = snowy) it can work if the pelts were white/gray, but if your doing a different basing then wolf pelts may not be the stealthiest things for them to have, after all, they are scouts :p.

But anyway, I've seen a few threads on scratch-making pelts and many of them are two step things.

First make the initial 'skin' of it, this can just be a simple rolled out piece of GS and mold it to the model how you would like and to get nice curves you can lay it on either some pencils, marker, etc. let it cure (dry)

Then when its ready you start making the fur over it, apply another layer (thin) of GS on top of the cured one and with a toothpick, or any other pointed object, just make the fur texture by poking the wet GS with the utensil at an angle and let it dry.

Thats just how I would assume it would be made, i haven't tried it but I think i may try it out as well.

Anyway, good luck hope it helps!

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
I did this both ways, with the pelt of the old kit, and with GS. I wasn't too happy with the GS results, but the proper pelt turned out well I think. The best option is probably the pelts in the SW box at the moment, just shave off the torso carefully so that you keep as much of the pelt as possible intact. Hope the pics help. More here if you're interested.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Raurik, my Space wolves are indeed on snowy bases. though Techniquly they dont 'need' to be since space wolves live on Fenris, which has extremes of both temperatures

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54246

my space wolves. though they will be updated soon with better pics of the finished models (I touched up my troops, painted their shoulders finally, and will have a symbol on their shoulder when I decide which one to use)

As for you KF. damn you for beating me to it :p but yeah, I was thinking of pure GSing the pelts myself, since I dont want to have to spend another x amount of cash to get the base pelts. I would be putting them on ALL my units though, since my units are supposed to be elite, so what would be the reason NOT to make them look awsome to all hell

1 - 4 of 4 Posts