Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't so much a rules question as a simple question of opinion. It's always sort of irked me that Space Marine scouts pay what they do for sniper rifles, which ultimately aren't that much more exciting than the boltguns they come with by default. Worth taking, certainly, but the points for the upgrade have always struck me as a bit steep.

Anyone else find the cost of the upgrade a little odd? It's always seemed to me like they ought to be able to trade their bolters or bolt pistol/ccw for the sniper rifle for free, since it so badly impairs their mobility and sort of defeats the purpose of them having the Move Through Cover universal special rule.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
I'm not so sure... A unit of Scouts with Sniper Rifles and Missile Launcher are a pretty darn decent unit, and often worth the upgrades against the right opponents. Maybe a slight decrease in cost might work, but I'd not say the unit is really overpriced as it is.

·
Registered
538 Posts
same cost as a heavy bolter. hit on 2 and wound on 4 is pretty darn good. great wpn vs those mc's. Plus pinning. I feel that 5 pts is more of a steal than overpriced.
both are hvy wpn and long range. Infiltrating in cover then doing a free scout move thru cover before turn 1 can set your unit up for 1rst turn shooting. Being able to adjust to enemy mc or other setup so you can get in vital shots.
All good to me.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
i had 5 scouts bolt pistols and 2 power weapons take out 15-20 nurgle guardsmen comming on from the rear

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
im personally inclined to think that Scouts with snipers are slightly unfair towards the other player. you have a unit thats easily as powerful as some of the huge monters in 40k, for a 10th of the points

1 - 7 of 7 Posts