Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my new stock has just landed and i thought i would just give you a heads up on the Scions and the Taurox model kits, Personally i dont think any guard player will need any convincing that the Scions are worth picking up and for the price i think they are pretty good value(you dont have to agree with me), both kits are a lesson on how to pack stuff on to the sprue, seriously if you hold the sprues from both kits up to a window they block out a significant amount of light, there is very little space for any more parts.
The scions are very well detailed, almost too detailed for some painters, some of the skulls and wings will end up looking like blobs for those who haven't mastered thinning paints, the sprues come with a ridiculous amounts of extras and detail adding accessories not to mention 17 different heads (remember that's for a 5 man squad).
Conversion and compatibility wise, the models dont follow all the rules and silhouettes of the Cadian and Catachan models, the heads for example are similar to space marines as they have a neck(due to the armour on the torso), the legs have a waist again because of the armored torso so some minor alteration would be needed to use these with the other ranges of guard models, that said i think they will work very well with space marine scouts, that said the arms and weapons are a excellent match to other guard models.

the Taurox, now it isnt everyone's cup of tea, its a Marmite unit, as a model kit its a convertors dream, the sprues are packed and the part count is very high which is good as it generally means you can make alterations without having to make huge cuts. From what i can tell the tracks are the same size as the chimera, the tracks also have highly detailed suspension,i should mention that the level of detail underneath the model is the highest i have seen, the four track system has been a bone of contention since this kit was sighted but honestly this vehicle looks actually viable, the only other kit i have seen that has a similar feel is the Ork truck, Which is interesting because the track units on the Taurox just so happen to be exactly the same height as an Ork Truck rear wheel and about the same thickness, i would guess that it would be very simple to make this into a half track with minimal effort using Ork Wheels from the truck or battle wagon, the rear tracks of the taurox are slightly longer than the front but i dont think they are long enough to fit a pair of Ork Trukk wheels into the space to make it a 6 wheeled model, but i could be wrong, without trying its impossible to say, someone with skill could make it work.

As the saying goes the devil is in the detail and this kit is detailed, it shares a lot of things with its Imperial Guard predecessors, many of the parts have detail on both sides so the kit can be modeled in different ways, some of the parts are optional or could be left off without compromising the look of the model. The kit has a two man crew including an actual viable driver, and the kit includes 4 heads so it can be modeled to match other guard units.

As always it suffers the usual problem of being about 50% too small in scale for the troops that would go in it and i was slightly disappointed that neither kit included an updated decal sheet, the scions didn't get any decals at all, though in all honesty the models are so packed with detail it would be kinda pointless, the Taurox however i think could have included a model up to date set than the very old Guard tank decal sheet.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Yeah, the manager of my local GW has done the half-track thing with his Taurox and it looks pretty damn good :)

Nice write up on the kits there though, Bits :good:

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
720 Posts
I was planning on adding the wheels to it either way but what about the ELYSIAN TAUROS VENATOR (sorry for caps). It has six wheels or will the wheels be to small as well.

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
That actually looks fucking awesome with the Thunderfire tracks on it :good:

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
My first opinion of the Taurox was "I wish we had worse quality pictures as that looks awful"
then when I saw more pictures I came around to the opinion that it was still awful,
then when I saw the options I was a bit happier.

I have one put together and spent a fair time looking at the options yesterday (when I was supposed to be working)
The basic IG armour is way-way better then the stormtrooper bits,
the turret is akin to a dog turd on an ice cream sunday.

The options make it well worthwhile,
the fact you can have autocannons without the turret make a huge difference to me and the missile rack is pretty awesome.

·
Closet Dictator
3,431 Posts
Okay after looking at some of those wheeled pictures, it aint complete garbage, with the big wheels it looks like one of those old south african a.p.cs which I like

·
Registered
65 Posts
^ google a "MRAP". its a US armoured fighting vehicle, it speaks for itself, as to where the idea for the taurox came from. I like to call the TS, "Codex Green Berets". if you clip the end of the las gun off, drill out a barrel, and clip the laspack charge cable, the guns begin to look like a m16 variant weaoon, specificly the us mk18 m4.

I should add that I belive other nato countries use a variant of this vechile, and that weapon system, and ALOT of elite units of these countries wear formal berets................... "cough"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts