Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I spent the last few days painting this guy up along with his base and headed to a dry area of the house to spray him with a matt varnish. I tested it on the base first and everything seemed to go fine but when I sprayed the model itself, it went all cloudy and milk and now he looked half melted. He's not entirely ruined so I figured I might as well still post him up (He's in the October painting contest as well!) but he is going to have his paint job completely stripped when I can actually find my IPA and I'll re-do him. How does one even lose a 5L container of alcohol?

C&C appreciated

P.S.

I hate just ordered a flat varnish for my airbrush and I'll likely never touch spray cans ever again.

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
It looks to me like either there was something on those parts of the model that the spray reacted with, or you may have inadvertently applied you much matte varnish.

Either way it's a giant pain. I haven't had this happen but I have had clear coat become speckly and textured, and that pretty well ruined the model.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I appreciate your frustration, but to my eye he doesn't look too bad at all, but that may well be down to the quality of the original paint job. He's some out looking very grimy with a 'distressed' look that suits chaos. If you hadn't mentioned the misshap I'd be congratulating you on a good paint job!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate your frustration, but to my eye he doesn't look too bad at all, but that may well be down to the quality of the original paint job. He's some out looking very grimy with a 'distressed' look that suits chaos. If you hadn't mentioned the misshap I'd be congratulating you on a good paint job!
I'm not sure whether to take that first sentence as a compliment or not. :p So I'll take it as a compliment.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'm not sure whether to take that first sentence as a compliment or not. :p So I'll take it as a compliment.
Just saying that the paint job before the varnish must have been good, if it's showing up that well through being a 'bit melty'. Definately a compliment :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
If you going to strip him anyway try another coat of varnish first. I've sometimes had a milky effect after spraying in the wrong conditions and another coat clears the problem. It might not work but worth a try before dunking him in IPA...

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
If you going to strip him anyway try another coat of varnish first. I've sometimes had a milky effect after spraying in the wrong conditions and another coat clears the problem. It might not work but worth a try before dunking him in IPA...
I was given the same advice by my sister, actually. :) It kinda worked... But you can certainly tell what happened. He'll be re-done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts