Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right then, I'm looking for ideas for scenery for 40k that I can make using leftover sprues. I've been cutting a few pieces down and gluing three pieces together to make tank traps that resemble those used in WW2 but I'm also looking for other things to make it can be buildings, walls, whatever! Just shoot me some ideas and I'll see if I can make something from them. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Lengths of sprue make for good rebar analogs when paired with foamboard. Taking a set of clippers to a sprue can yield chunks that serve well as large-sized ballast for basing purposes. I've used relatively long sections with some of the crosspieces left intact as adornment for trenches in the past, as well.

·
Registered
967 Posts
It's easy to make barricades, even Aegis DL sized barricades. You might want to have some plasticard to help you out though.

Have you ever tried doing banded armour on Rhino based tanks? Lok up a tutorial for that and apply the technique on a larger scale for walls and such.

You can also make land mines if you have spare bases.
Just cut the studded corner from a sprue and glue it to a base, stud pointed upwards. That's all it takes.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I started working on a couple barricades its turning out pretty solid considering I'm gluing them like this -> / \\ // \\ / . I've been using some plastic weld on it so that it looks to all one piece (or so I like to think). I've got a bits of thick cardboard tubing sitting around somewheres maybe if I cut those in half and use the sprue walls in between you think that might work some Aegis DL kind of stuff?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
tank traps are easy enough, Czech hedgehog would be very easy while Dragon teeth might be a touch harder.

Bricks also come to mind with green stuff mortar maybe.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm liking the ideas Ive worked up a couple tank traps that I'll glue to a base later on and a wall/fence that I used as a test piece. I'll see about putting together a building or two tonight or tomorrow.

Attachments

Reactions: Magpie_Oz

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right then I'm gonna see if I can use these sprues for buildings let me know what you lot think of the start of this small basilica.

Attachments

Reactions: Jacobite

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Looks pretty good as a starting point. If you were to make more I would say trim off the tabs of the sprue and try and get them looking all clean and straight. However thats a awesome idea! I may have to steal it. + Rep.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sweet! All done with the building part. I'm trying to figure out what else to do to it like make a pile of sprue rubble around the outside and the insides too. I thought about trimming it up a little more but I've been looking over images from Cities of Death, the 4th Edition rulebook (the one with all the cool terrain ideas) and some stuff I found here on heresy and I'm thinking it looks pretty dark and grim to me. Like Mr. Hobbit make 'em look like bolts :grin:
I just have to add a nice base to it some rubble maybe a table or some pews then paint it all up and it'll look nice and pretty (for 40k that is).
Verdict? Ideas? Add-ons? Something else to build?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Rubble should be easy to do if you still have sprue left over. Just cut it to various length sections and slap together with PVA glue(or whatever you use). Or alternatively take a plastic cup and coat the sprue with glue after its been cut up and then using a brush (bigger is my recommendation) apply it to where you want the rubble to be. The Glue will cover alot of holes and settle giving you a nice texture. if you want to get fancy you can then brush some of the glue of one side of the sprue to represent the whole sections of wall (or whatever) that weren't damaged when it collapsed (or got 'sploded)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The cool part about this project is that everything that I've built so far only requires like 3 whole sprues (though two of them were tank sprues). What's been working for me so far is a that nice little bottle of Zap-A-Gap but I'm kinda hesitant to use a bunch of it making rubble, maybe next payday I'll pick up some PVA.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I've found that Elmers school glue works just as well. Greatest part about this hobby is that you can use literally anything to build scenery :) if you've got some tin cans lying around youve got instant fuel storage tanks for example :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:shok: ...I just ate some canned chili. Thanks!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you Swede for the awesome idea, I gotta say this one was a little easier. I managed to build a nice little promethium storage center, though i do need to work out the details for the tank its basically done. And now that you lot have seen what I had for dinner its time to hit the hay. Shoot me some other ideas of anything interesting I'd love to get some funky design ideas for building with the sprues.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
only thing that comes to my mind that has not been mentioned is making duck boarding from them, perfect for Kregers!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Interesting thought dragonking... I may not be running Krieg but I'd agree with my guard defending a trench system. I could probably use the sprues for supports, duckboards and machine gun nests but that will have to wait for a future project, I'm going to need foam (lots of it), pva glue, and some newspaper. Now I have another small query: what about making a base for a tarantula HB gun? I've got two HB's left over from a HW squad that I want to get out of my bitz box.
On a side note used a length of sprue for a flag pole, should be entertaining to paint...

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts