Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

41 - 60 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Well I finally got it downloaded and....

....only 27 pages. Is that right?

People are saying they've enjoyed the first chapters, plural. Are there supposed to be more? what I read was ok but if thats all you are getting each week then even 12 parts isn't going to be sufficient for a whole book.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well I finally got it downloaded and....

....only 27 pages. Is that right?

People are saying they've enjoyed the first chapters, plural. Are there supposed to be more? what I read was ok but if thats all you are getting each week then even 12 parts isn't going to be sufficient for a whole book.
Pages in an ebook don't necessarily correspond to pages in the print version (unless you got a PDF). The publisher can (but usually doesn't) mark where a "print page" starts; if they don't, then the reader will arbitrarily pick the page change every X characters.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
....only 27 pages. Is that right? what I read was ok but if thats all you are getting each week then even 12 parts isn't going to be sufficient for a whole book.
Assuming the average installment will be 27 pages long, 12 installments will add up to 324 pages. 324 eBook pages might equal a greater number of print pages.

I don't think Black Library will be skimping on the page count. If they charge $3 per installment, the entire thing will cost $36. It seems like they're just charging a huge amount for an average length novel.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Something is telling me that if the White scars installment series is profitable to GW. I think in the future they will do that to other books. It seems like there are enough people that are buying I think.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Okay guys now i will give my thoughts about Scars - i have an ability to review this episodes from the point, that i was able to read earlier draft for 'this book' and limited edition novella 'Brotherhood of the Storms':

So here are the reasons, why i think that BL destroying an awesome novel.

1) I don't mind buying something interesting to read every week, but at my phone and notebook episode 2 has been only 15!!! :shok: pages long. Episode 1 - 20 pages. So right now its stands for 35 pages both in epub or mobi format. Which is much smaller, then any chapter, at any other previous Horus Heresy novel (and i have them all).

If all other episodes will have same page count as this two, then it would be the shortest HH novel in the serie.:(
I don't think Black Library will be skimping on the page count. If they charge $3 per installment, the entire thing will cost $36. It seems like they're just charging a huge amount for lesser then an average length novel.

2) Next problem based on the previous one. The story is rushed - due to the smaller page count. I was able to read nearly completed draft for first 2 chapters of the Scars earlier this year - and they were much better then this 2 episodes.
They cut off at least 15 pages from first 2 chapters :search:Shiban Khan - at least 2 pages of text (his memories and much fuller thoughts about dead bodies) is missing;
Targutai Yesugei Nikea part was 8 pages longer (his full dialog with Ahriman);:search:
Space Wolves fleet master and their unbelief of Horus betrayal - more vivid in at least 3 more pages :search:
Why have they done that - by doing that they destroyed a logic chain of events and structure of the novel?

Anyway - that's the first HH novel that feels rushed (like something is going too quick, missing something at every page).:(
That all was cut off from this episodes :confused: I'm truly confused - does this mean - that hardback edition would be full, and we have ARC version here in this episodes? :shok:

3) Space shooty shooty would be coming in the nearest episodes :wink:, but now i'm worried about it - they could cut it off too.:threaten: Also with no Dramatis Personae at the front reader who haven't read Brotherhood of the Storms would be for a real treat to his memory.:ireful2: And yes - in the earlier draft first episode was a Prologue, and episode 2 is the first chapter.

4) Episode stuff will continue anyway - it seems like there are enough people that are buying the episodes. For good or bad, we will see, but right now its more :angry:

Also i fully agree with Advanced review for episode 2 from Bellarius, - episode lacks a distinctive structure to make it feel like its own entity. Instead what we get feels more like fragments out of place. The reason for this - BL editor stuff cut off at least 15 pages from the normal, structured draft

·
Registered
180 Posts
Really disappointed now and if that's how books are going to be released in the future then sadly I won't be buying any such books. It's a little under a £1 a page at the moment.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Okay guys now i will give my thoughts about Scars - i have an ability to review this episodes from the point, that i was able to read earlier draft for 'this book' and limited edition novella 'Brotherhood of the Storms':

So here are the reasons, why i think that BL destroying an awesome novel.

1) I don't mind buying something interesting to read every week, but at my phone and notebook episode 2 has been only 15!!! :shok: pages long. Episode 1 - 20 pages. So right now its stands for 35 pages both in epub or mobi format. Which is much smaller, then any chapter, at any other previous Horus Heresy novel (and i have them all).

If all other episodes will have same page count as this two, then it would be the shortest HH novel in the serie.:(
I don't think Black Library will be skimping on the page count. If they charge $3 per installment, the entire thing will cost $36. It seems like they're just charging a huge amount for lesser then an average length novel.

2) Next problem based on the previous one. The story is rushed - due to the smaller page count. I was able to read nearly completed draft for first 2 chapters of the Scars earlier this year - and they were much better then this 2 episodes.
They cut off at least 15 pages from first 2 chapters :search:Shiban Khan - at least 2 pages of text (his memories and much fuller thoughts about dead bodies) is missing;
Targutai Yesugei Nikea part was 8 pages longer (his full dialog with Ahriman);:search:
Space Wolves fleet master and their unbelief of Horus betrayal - more vivid in at least 3 more pages :search:
Why have they done that - by doing that they destroyed a logic chain of events and structure of the novel?

Anyway - that's the first HH novel that feels rushed (like something is going too quick, missing something at every page).:(
That all was cut off from this episodes :confused: I'm truly confused - does this mean - that hardback edition would be full, and we have ARC version here in this episodes? :shok:

3) Space shooty shooty would be coming in the nearest episodes :wink:, but now i'm worried about it - they could cut it off too.:threaten: Also with no Dramatis Personae at the front reader who haven't read Brotherhood of the Storms would be for a real treat to his memory.:ireful2: And yes - in the earlier draft first episode was a Prologue, and episode 2 is the first chapter.

4) Episode stuff will continue anyway - it seems like there are enough people that are buying the episodes. For good or bad, we will see, but right now its more :angry:

Also i fully agree with Advanced review for episode 2 from Bellarius, - episode lacks a distinctive structure to make it feel like its own entity. Instead what we get feels more like fragments out of place. The reason for this - BL editor stuff cut off at least 15 pages from the normal, structured draft
Got me worried now that they are doing this but you'd have to get the full book when it's released for additional detail.

·
Registered
327 Posts
This is not good at all. What ever way you cut it. If this serialised copy turns out to be an abridged version of the full novel then if i'd bought it (i haven't and won't) then i'd be absolutely livid. On the other hand if whole chunks of the novel have been cut out for no good reason i'll be livid too. This is a bit of a mess.

If it is abridged then i'm in little doubt that it would fall foul of the Trade Descriptions Act 1968. It would be little more than a con.

I have no problem at all with them releasing a novel in serialised parts but if its abridged and this has not been disclosed then i have a problem with that. Frankly its appaling.

Update: Black Library have confirmed its not abridged. Books will always go through edits but it sounds like some good stuff was cut unfortunately.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm guessing that the reason why they cut down on the pages is cost. I'm not sure how they pay the writers but I heard that some writers get paid base upon pages they write. Unless there is a flat fee that they paid these writers.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
They are claiming on their facebook page that nothing has been changed at all.
And I would be more inclined to believe them to be honest.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Books get edited and trimmed down all the time. It doesn't mean the longer versions are always better. Hell, look at the director's cut/extended cut of most movies. The majority of them add filler scenes that only the most hardcore fans would enjoy.

After reading Episode 1 of Scars, I didn't think "Oh, there are missing scenes and they obviously cut stuff out." The only thing I thought was "Chris Wraight is one heck of a writer."

·
Registered
364 Posts
My answers to some questions:

To [SD]Daenyathos
You can get all 12 episode's in one file but only if you buy Scars: Subscriber's Edition from apples IBook store.

What? Where is this? Is it already on sale (full 12 episodes)? IBook store, really?:headbutt:

To shadowhawk2008:
You are saying that you have read an early draft of the ENTIRE novel??

No i had read roughly 50-60 pages of earlier draft (equivalent to 3 chapters - as a matter of fact it was Prologue, Chapter 1 and Chapter 4 - that's why i'm complaining. Because earlier draft WAS BETTER then this edited episodes):ireful2:

To sadLor
After reading Episode 1 of Scars, I didn't think "Oh, there are missing scenes and they obviously cut stuff out." The only thing I thought was "Chris Wraight is one heck of a writer."
That he is - that he is.:wink:

To DarkChaplain and Stephen74
Episode 1, including the quote stuff in the intro, is slightly over 6500 words long. Episode 2, meanwhile, was written with 8375 words. What your little phone puts out in page numbers is not indicative of the actual length of the thing.
They are claiming on their facebook page that nothing has been changed at all.

I haven't count the exact number of words, but if i remember correctly prologue was 9100 words and episode 2 - 11400 words, something like that. BL on their facebook page said that they haven't cut anything - THEY ARE LYING

In truth, the only thing i'm disappointed - is that PRE-EDITED STUFF was cooler then the one, which was released in this episodes. WHY DO THEY CUT A GOOD STUFF? Really I can't understand?
I don't think that they would be paying more money - if the novel was 50 pages longer?
Anyway, it would be the smallest HH novel to date. Because episode 1 is a prologue, episode 2 - chapter , so 12th episodes - ITS 11-12 chapters - IT'S THE SMALLEST HH NOVEL TO DATE. :shok:

41 - 60 of 170 Posts