Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

21 - 40 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
I thought, good idea, and bought part 1 before realising what a bloody typical GW shaft you for your money con this is.

I initially thought 10 episodes for some reason, so £15 for a book, but its twelve, so £18 for a book. SOD OFF.

·
Registered
180 Posts
6 AUD per ebook and there is 12 instalments? So what's that? 6 x 12 = 72 AUD which at current exchange rates = 82 NZD... for an ebook?

I thought ebooks were supposed to be a more affordable and accessible form of literary distribution due to lower overheads and distribution costs. Guess I was wrong about that then wasn't I?
:shok: That really is taking the piss. I can understand why a product would cost more in far away places because of transport costs getting things there but this is a sodding e-book. It should be the same price where ever you go (with small variations due to local taxation)

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
$3 per installment is quite absurd really. I think BL might make more money by selling these installments at a more reasonable price.

BL probably thinks that a White Scars HH novel only appeals to a niche market (desperate White Scars fans who will pay anything to read such a novel). I can't agree with BL's approach.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Ok, I had a really long bus ride so I said 'screw it' and bought the first episode so I would have something to read.

I'm not going to say if it was worth it or not...everyone has different amounts of money they can spend.

However, I would say that Ep 1 is good in that there isn't a huge cliffhanger. There's actually a little story arc that finishes by the last page.

As for quality? Obviously, it's only the first 1/12th of the book but comparing this introduction to every other HH book... I'll put it in the top 5.

The author does something really unique here. It's written from perspectives that are fascinating to read. I'm honestly surprised other authors hadn't done it more. I haven't read a lot of stuff from CW before but it's very well-written and I enjoyed the prose. I just finished Angel Ex and the difference in writing style is...jarring to say the least.

Very minor spoilers (no names are used)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Even better - my kobo wont recognise Black Library as a safe site and I cant download the damn thing and I cant find my lead to connect to the pc - grrrr.

·
Registered
154 Posts
For 12 installments at $2.99 a piece comes out to be $35.88 for the whole thing. A bit overprice for a e-book.

I think I would of brought it for half the price which I think is allot more reasonable.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think in this case, BL would probably make more profit by lowering the price (which would trigger movement along the new demand curve). Maybe $1.5 or $2, which I think they can get away with now. 5 years ago, I think 1/12 of a novel would've been selling for less than $1.
You also have to keep in mind the money Black Library loses to the credit card processor. If the person buys just the ebook and nothing else, BL gets about $0.65 of a $1 transaction. At $3, they keep more like $2.60.

As long as BL sells at least 25% as many copies at $3 as they would at $1, it's a wash ($2.60 profit either way). And if they sell more, BL comes out ahead of the game.

·
Registered
145 Posts
It seems from reviews that the opening chapters are looking good. Hopefully "Scars" will continue the same.

That's the first time I've seen reviewers comment upon BL's digital pricing (in regards to this release). I personally don't buy digital, so have no clue what the 'going rate' is for a full novel. Even if I had a Kindle or iPad, I'd be waiting for the full novel given the full price of buying all 12 chapters. As one reviewer commented, it's a impulse buy.

Do you think it's worth the X-amount of extra £ or $ to read this novel in advance?

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
Do you think it's worth the X-amount of extra £ or $ to read this novel in advance?
No. When you can get the Hardback AND paperback version for the same price as the ebook version its fucked.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
I'm enjoying it, really depends if you want to enjoy the ride and properly read each chapter or get the book (has it been confirmed the price of it yet or are you going off average?) later.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm enjoying it, really depends if you want to enjoy the ride and properly read each chapter or get the book (has it been confirmed the price of it yet or are you going off average?) later.
Price of the trade paperback has been confirmed. Price of the hardcover and mass-market paperback haven't been yet.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Nope. And that's why they keep bringing out the hardback a good month to two before the softback. They know people will snap it up because they can't wait.

I can :)
There are also people who prefer the hardback, such as myself. So there is more to that than just the impulse buy they are hoping for.

Though I do think in this case, BL might be pushing the "getting it early = higher cost" thing.
I think $2.00-$2.50 is a little more reasonable.

·
Registered
145 Posts
No. When you can get the Hardback AND paperback version for the same price as the ebook version its fucked.
Completely agree Doelago. I've no issue with serializing a novel, it's something different - however the final price is taking the piss out of fans of the HH series. It's a money drain, I understand that is what is a business is about... however for me, they should really refocus their efforts on pricing and perhaps make future releases more readily known (other than Amazon).

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
It's got to the point for me where I've stopped thinking about the cash and just started enjoying the hobby and the books, that may sound selfish but the more I dwell on it the more it ruins it for me.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
BL will try it on to see if they can make extra cash. There are no going to be any extra overheads to do it this way so its an inexpensive gamble.

If no one buys it then they will drop the idea and get back to publishing books for more realistic prices.

Vote with your wallet and don't get sucked in :threaten:

21 - 40 of 170 Posts