Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Can the Scaly skin of a dragon add to the armour save of its rider? Say a Chaos Lord got a Chaos Dragon mount, and He had a shield and chaos armour. would his save be Chaos armour - 4+ plus Shield so its 3+ plus Scaly skin 3+ so overall armour save is 0+? (2+ for the sake of armour saving but 0+ for armour modifications like S4 and armour piercing)

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Can the Scaly skin of a dragon add to the armour save of its rider? Say a Chaos Lord got a Chaos Dragon mount, and He had a shield and chaos armour. would his save be Chaos armour - 4+ plus Shield so its 3+ plus Scaly skin 3+ so overall armour save is 0+? (2+ for the sake of armour saving but 0+ for armour modifications like S4 and armour piercing)

First, in 8th edition, your armor save cannot exceed 1+ (which sucks, 'cause I was totally on the -1+ Lord of Khorne bandwagon.)

A monstrous mount doesn't effect its rider's armor, or vice versa. They're essentially two models that share a base. The dragon has its own armor save for attacks that are directed at it, and the rider has an armor save for attacks directed at him. You don't get the +1 for being mounted, which seems odd, but it's part of the price of riding something that's a terrifying gigantic mean-spirited god of war.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
You don't get the +1 for being mounted, which seems odd, but it's part of the price of riding something that's a terrifying gigantic mean-spirited god of war.
Wrong- in 8th edition you do get +1 for being on a ridden monster. Page 105 of the BRB (or the little red book in my case). Now I save 6 points on a shield for my Oldblood :biggrin:

You also cannot go lower than a 1+ save- a 0+ is counted as a 1+ in all respects. The only advantage of a 0+ is if your character is on a monstrous mount- should the monster die, the character still gets a 1+ save, since the jump to 0+ comes from the monstrous mount.

·
Registered
716 Posts
ah. so Monstrous Mounts are considered there own model in combat. So the dragon only benefits from his 3+ scaly skin, while the chaos lord only benefits from his 2+ (shield and mount?). and yes armour value can increase to 0+ for the purpose of determing armour save after modifiers like S 4,5,6,etc. and armour piercing. Though rolls to 1 always fail when rolling for armour saves so its always a 1+ at all times if its 0+ without modifiers.

·
Registered
442 Posts
no coke 123 is correct you can only get as gd as a 1+ save now the only exception is if you roll a six on the eye of the gods table allowing you to go to 0+

·
Super Moderator
8,559 Posts
no coke 123 is correct you can only get as gd as a 1+ save now the only exception is if you roll a six on the eye of the gods table allowing you to go to 0+
I think he meant:

(i) Hero has 1+ AS from armour and items
(ii) Hero is mounted on monster increasing AS by 1 to a 0+ AS, which is reduced to 1+
(iii) Later, Monster is slain but Hero's AS is still 1+

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I think he meant:

(i) Hero has 1+ AS from armour and items
(ii) Hero is mounted on monster increasing AS by 1 to a 0+ AS, which is reduced to 1+
(iii) Later, Monster is slain but Hero's AS is still 1+
Exactly. This is the only advantage of a "0+" save, so there's no point wasting your points trying to get there on arrmour & items. You should just aim for a 1+ save, and then have him mounted on a monster, should you be so inclined to go for super duper lord protection. And there is most certainly no point to a "-1+" save, as was mentioned earlier. save your points for something that will actually make a difference.

Actually, now that I think about it, would a 0+ or better armour save provide some degree of protection against the lore of metal spell Plague of Rust? Since it doens't apply a modifier to saving tests, but decreases the armour save by one point, can one simply say that there are extra points that would have been previously ignored that are now usable due to this spell?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts