Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting some satin varnish to put on some of my models whe I finish them but I have a few questions about what it does first.

So I know Gloss Varnish will make everything nice a shiny, and Satin varnish is meant to be somewhere between Matte and Gloss. However I have also read that GW purity Seal is a satin varnish, but looking at pretty much everything that I have used it on it seems more Matte. Is this what satin varnishes look like?? Or is Purity Seal even worse than I though?

Secondly I am looking at two varnishes at the moment from Vallejo but I am not sure if there will be any difference in results. First is the 'Premiuim Colour Satin Varnish' and the other is the 'Model Air Satin Varnish'. Obviously the Model Air one is made to go through Airbrushes but is there any difference in the final result?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Satin is exactly as you say somewhere in between. It gives a protective coat to your minis without making them look like they are coated in plastic. Or as if they have not been sealed at all. I prefer satin Varnish as it helps give a slight sheen to the armor pieces and makes it look more realistic. it think @Blackadder uses satin on his tyranids as well. Here's an example of what my mini's look like with it on.

I use Createx (not sure of the top of my head I'll have to check when i get home) and it works great. It gives a little bit of a shine but not a gloss. I brush mine on without thinning instead of spraying it on. And i think it looks fantastic. Purity seal, while it looks good, if applied incorrectly does have the danger of "Frosting"

If this happens its a pain to remove. I have heard that olive oil is the best method to remove it. But if used properly it can also give a very good finish.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I have only used the Purity seal once or twice on a couple of metal mini's but I have only ever used it in a really hot day so that it doesn't frost. It just really confused me how it says its satin when it seems more like a matte varnish to me

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I never got it satin which is why I am asking, I'm looking at using it on my warsphinx to protect the marbling I have done :) but yeah I get what you mean

1 - 5 of 5 Posts