Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if this has been covered, I couldn't find it if it was.

So on page 78 of my brand spanking new space marine codex are the Salamanders chapter tactics. Now the second of these two chapter specific rules is called 'Master Artisans' and states that each character in that army may upgrade one of his weapons (even one purchased as an upgrade) to master crafted for free. Now in 6th edition even your bog standard space marine sergeant is classed as a character, so that means he gets a free master crafted upgrade correct?

That seems fairly clear to me but after discussion amongst my mates I was wondering what you guys thought since it seems a bit of a strange one cause a) it saves the salamanders player a lot of points and b) even one re-roll can swing a game, now all those sergeants/librarians/tech marines/whoever get one free re roll a turn to hit with the weapon of their choice simply for wearing green? Hmmm...

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Think about it this way. MC'ing all the character weapons in an army might upgrade... 6 weapons, perhaps? If you were to take Imperial Fists, you might have 40-50 bolters rerolling 1s, which could be just as game-changing.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Think about it this way. MC'ing all the character weapons in an army might upgrade... 6 weapons, perhaps? If you were to take Imperial Fists, you might have 40-50 bolters rerolling 1s, which could be just as game-changing.
It all depends what you want to do. Personally I would love to use the two new chapter relic weapons as master crafted. It would make for insane CC.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Now the second of these two chapter specific rules is called 'Master Artisans' and states that each character in that army may upgrade one of his weapons (even one purchased as an upgrade) to master crafted for free. Now in 6th edition even your bog standard space marine sergeant is classed as a character, so that means he gets a free master crafted upgrade correct?
You are reading this correctly. As for the "power" level of this CT. It is nice and will make each character "a little better" at his chosen task, but in no way is it game breaking. SM already hit 66% of the time with most weapons...hitting 88% of the time with 5-6 models on the board is not a huge difference in the grand scheme of things.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
It all depends what you want to do. Personally I would love to use the two new chapter relic weapons as master crafted. It would make for insane CC.
As Evil Twin said, anyone good eough to use the relics already probably have WS5 or 6. It's not gonna change much.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Yeah I am starting a Salamanders army and tbh didn't even think about a master-crafted relic: It may make me consider putting some power weapons in with sergeants, but I don't see it as a big enough deal to warrant pumping points into. It's more a nice and welcome bonus.
I think the flamer and melta rules are much more relevant.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To be fair I think GW did quite well with the CT's, it's nice that it actually makes a difference again to those people who don't play blood/dark angels and space wolves. I usually run blood angels but was just starting up salamanders and now I don't have to take he'stan to get some chapter specific rules (although of course I'll be taking him anyway lol) although as a BA player the fact that raven guard can move AND assault with their jump packs is irksome. Although I suppose rage/death company/furioso dreads/sanguinary guard/mephiston is a small compensation :)

·
Registered
992 Posts
Although I suppose rage/death company/furioso dreads/sanguinary guard/mephiston is a small compensation
...and don't forget fast vehicles (my WS-based chapter would love those)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts