Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the Salamanders occupying a high(er?)-gravity planet, I would expect this to translate into much physically stronger candidates and Astares after implantation, but I've never heard about this in the fluff. Can anyone speak to this?

Come to think of it, I've never heard about other Astares chapters originating from anything but Terran-standard gravity planets... or have they?

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
With the Salamanders occupying a high(er?)-gravity planet, I would expect this to translate into much physically stronger candidates and Astares after implantation, but I've never heard about this in the fluff. Can anyone speak to this?

Come to think of it, I've never heard about other Astares chapters originating from anything but Terran-standard gravity planets... or have they?
I've never heard of Nucturne being heavy gravity but I know the salamanders are supposed to be tougher and slower than the smurfs.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
In codex Armageddon it was noted that due to the high gravity of the world, they didn't use bike squads or jump pack units that much, they also suffered a -1 to their initiative as well.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
In codex Armageddon it was noted that due to the high gravity of the world, they didn't use bike squads or jump pack units that much, they also suffered a -1 to their initiative as well.
Armageddon has quite a good bit of fluff for them, it's a great little book.

As Words said, they are noted as being very tough and sturdy but slightly slower than other marines. They also find it difficult to train with bikes, jump packs and speeders due to the higher gravity of nocturne.

In Armageddon this translated as lower initiative, and they could only take 1 of each type of fast attack unit in your army.

They did get some cool stuff though, such as choosing to extend play, cheap master-crafting and tons of flamer options.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
From my understanding the High-Gravity has little effect on their bodies; least of all there genetic make-up. It deals more with the Enviroment that they live in, all the Volcanic activity, soot in the air, and higher-than-average temperature of their homeworld. This built their physic up and made them stronger than their compatriots. However it did make them slower and, in the new Salamander novel I recently read, it was noted that the Salamander Marines were able to endure more critical wounds than others Chapter's.

TBH I'm unsure if this deals with the gravity of the planet, but most of the Salamnader novels I've read rare reference it at all.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
To be fair if you factor in the information from Massacre they already had the black skin and smoldering eyes before they even reached Nocturne, they also already had the toughest physique only surpassed by the Death Guard in the area of dealing with poisons. The high gravity would/could responsible for their strength however.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
To be fair if you factor in the information from Massacre they already had the black skin and smoldering eyes before they even reached Nocturne, they also already had the toughest physique only surpassed by the Death Guard in the area of dealing with poisons. The high gravity would/could responsible for their strength however.

As Truth said Angel of Blood they already contianed most of their traits before ever reaching Nocturne. Massacre was a good source but also the relatively recent Salamander Omnibus was of great light too on this issue; specifically the "Tomb of Fire" novel. They do state that their ancestors, the previous generations of Space Marines, had arrived on Nocturne already suffering from the black skin, overly tough physic, and brute strength. I think the lack of speed in Salamanders can be granted from the high-gravity enviroment but I cannot really think that(even though the Codex does dispute this fact as you said) Nocturne developed the Salamanders into what they are today.

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
The skin and eyes are from their gene seed yes. Their marginally slower reflexes than normal are due to the high gravity. This is specifically stated in the codex as I said.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Ah, I think I misunderstood what you were saying earlier. You are correct, I was refering more to the Physic. The actual physical build of Salamander's bodies which, in the "Tomb of Fire" was stated,"...to be that greater than even the Sons of Russ and Guilliman." You are correct though, Nocturne's high-gravity effects their reflexs.

On that note though I cannot understand how in the good given earth humans wouldn't adapt to that gravitational forces. Don't you think the High-Gravity would make them strong, and fast overtime to the point of where it wouldn't really effect them while on the planet.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Ah, I think I misunderstood what you were saying earlier. You are correct, I was refering more to the Physic. The actual physical build of Salamander's bodies which, in the "Tomb of Fire" was stated,"...to be that greater than even the Sons of Russ and Guilliman." You are correct though, Nocturne's high-gravity effects their reflexs.

On that note though I cannot understand how in the good given earth humans wouldn't adapt to that gravitational forces. Don't you think the High-Gravity would make them strong, and fast overtime to the point of where it wouldn't really effect them while on the planet.
In scifi movies/books/etc it tends to effect their decedents not the adults. That being said I imagine that the people will have an easier time of building muscles.

In a 'no' gravity enviroment humans do lose muscle and skeletal mass, SPACE!, Sooo it could be possible that the opposite effect happens to people i.e. buildup of muscle and bone mass.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Well Ogryns are humans who were raised on high gravity worlds, I'm sure the same process that extends to their physique would happened with marines to.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all. While a new fluff twist, it doesn't sound like the higher gravity has really translated. While the original humans to settle Nocturne would have been human-normal in the range of strength for muscle mass and bone density, by the time of the HH and especially after 10,000 years of evolution, the base Nocturnian makeup should have increased both. Like our normal astronauts being able to leap great distances on the moon, it should equate to a similar benefit when the Salamanders are off planet.

With their deficit in initiative, it doesn't appear they also receive a benefit in melee hand weapons.

Still, it's nice they're opening up the chapter, they sound pretty funky.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
I think they generally veered away from them being slower tbh. During the armageddon campaign they weren't even coal black with red eyes they were just normal black, after then though they seemed to adopted the coal black red eyes aspect with a strong physique and none of the negative initiative problems for being slower.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Which was a sucky move in my eyes, I liked them when they were 'regular' black - simply dark-skinned, rather than the coal black with burning red eyes-but-also-the-most-humanitarian-marines-evar Chapter.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Which was a sucky move in my eyes, I liked them when they were 'regular' black - simply dark-skinned, rather than the coal black with burning red eyes-but-also-the-most-humanitarian-marines-evar Chapter.
Indeed - I just blocked that part out entirely. I still get told regularly that my Salamanders have the wrong colour skin.

Some of the Codex:Armageddon pictures have white skinned salamanders, but the artwork for tu'shan clearly shows a dark skin colour. That always seemed to look the best against their armour as far as i'm concerned.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I think they generally veered away from them being slower tbh. During the armageddon campaign they weren't even coal black with red eyes they were just normal black, after then though they seemed to adopted the coal black red eyes aspect with a strong physique and none of the negative initiative problems for being slower.
That was GW trying to defend against racism allegations lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts