Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first attempt at an eldar army, Saim hann with a jetbike theme of course. All im woried about is a lack of anti tank. The farseer an autarch will go in the unit of shining spears and be targeting heavy infantry (termies) hoping to kill them all first wave of assault.The keyholes will be attacking infantry, using the move in assault to get into cover after shooting or moving out of assault range. Fire prisms knocking out enemy tanks, using jetbikers for a coversave after shooting. What do you think?

Autarch, jetbike, laser lance 120

Farseer, jetbike, spiritstones, doom, fortune 160

shining spears (5) 175

guardian jetbike squad (7) 2 shrunken cannon 174

Fire prism 115

Fire prism 115

Fire prism 115

·
Registered
215 Posts
Humm... Good list, although if your really worreid about anti tank, drop a guardian squad and have some vipers with brightlances/missiles

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
You can't really depend on a vyper for anti-tank. You have BS3 and it still runs you stupid points.

Overall, I don't really use shining spears much. They're a great idea, but they really have the same problem that, say, pariahs have. They're "only" as tough as a normal space marine, and they only do so much killing with their two attacks. Yes, they do generally each kill a guy. If you were to take them at all, I'd use them for counter-charging anthing that had already made it into close combat with you and ending the fight then and there.

You only really "need" 3 troops units at 1.5k points, you might consider splitting that fourth squad into the other three units, or spending the points on a warlock for each squad. Heavy flamers, moral rerolls or a singing spear (s9 against vehicles isn't great, but if you already have taken him for the moral rerolls, the extra bs4 s9 shot does compliment a pair of shuriken cannons nicely for the purpose of transport hunting.

The fire prisms are awesome the way they are. Cheap, but with enough of them that they can weather fire. You might put underslung shuriken cannons on them so that a single weapons destroyed result doesn't silence them. Remember to ram with them whenever all of their guns are taken away.

Consider putting other units into transports. Fire Dragons that only leave their transport to shoot, and then pile back in may sound silly, but from a Saim Hann standpoint, maybe the unit is actually a vehicle pilot who enjoys hauling fire dragons around rather than a fire dragon unit that has a transport. The same could apply to anything that can exit a transport, blow something to pieces and immediatelly pop back in, really.

If you really want CC, consider using a jetseer council. You can't avoid a big one, but at low points values converting the autarch into another jetseer (with just fortune, probably) and then a group for warlocks is really quite awesome. I've got mine modeled as a Chieftain and his retinue... more or less.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice guys!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I might put try to get rid of the spears because because I've sadly never heard anything good about them, and unless you are completely opposed to it get some warlocks because not only do they have a good invuln but they can add anti tank with s9 weapons and good anti horde with destructor, they can also get you more out of your autarch and farseer with embolden and enhance. Also maybe put runes of warding on the farseer, it isn't completely needed but it will shut down those pesky psykers, which can be very helpful, I've killed a fortuned eldrad in one turn with RoW (ironically with my eldrad)

And also something else you may want to try is the fire prism upgrades, recently many people have been preaching against them but you may want to try them just to see because those extra points would really help in kp missions because it will take them along time to take down your prisms 3x longer on average than usual with holo and spirit stones makes a lot harder to get caught which also helps a lot. The two i wouldn't really recommend would have to be the vectors because that will rarely be helpful for the points and the underslung cannons, because while they are better than the catapults they on average dont kill a meq a turn and kill only one geq a turn, i would always ram with it when the guns gone especially if you have holos and stones because then you can do some pretty cool things and only come out not shooting more than half the time which amazing versus the 16% chance you have otherwise

i would get the points from dropping the spears and maybe relocating and dropping some of the 4th squad of bikes

·
Registered
378 Posts
If you are concerned about the anti tank then what the other guys have suggested are good ideas.

Vypers with EML and Brightlances are a risky choice due to expensiveness, them being fragile and not so good BS. However with whatever weapon you give them you can massively outrange bolters and plasmas and with their speed you should be able to stay away from most other threats. This means if they want to take out your vypers they have to move anti-tank fire away from your prisms.

You could also drop a prism in favor of a falcon. Putting fire dragons in it is far from unfluffy as virtually all craftworlds have their shrine and saim-hann does still use non jetbikes.

A bike council could be one of your opponents worst nightmares when it comes to anti-tank. They have high mobility and all of them can be holding their lascannons. And if shooting it doesnt do anything then you can just assult afterwards. To make the warlocks on bikes a cheap way is to buy a box or 2 of shining spears and use a bit of greenstuff to make them look more warlocky then replace their lance arms with either a power sword from either the banshee kit, dire avenger kit or shining spear kit (or buy off a bits website) or a spear type weapon which there is an appropriate one in the avenger box or you could use jain-zars exicutioner. You dont need to put robes on them as im sure the eldar have realised by now that jetbiking is something you dont wear a dress for.

And never forget your humble guardian squads for tank busting. Get them round the back with their superior mobility and use the cannons on the back or side armour.

Sorry thats a bit of a hefty read. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
it is a good list.

i'd drop the Shining Spears, and give the Autarch Mandi-Blasters and Fusion Gun.

TBH, since you're a bit defused here, i'd take a second Farseer.

Cyclown is right that you don't need another Troops Choice at this point level, but i would only drop one Troops choice only if your increase the size of your bike squads.

Warlocks are a must!

you could go with:

x2 Farseers

x2 Jetbike squad with Chin Cannons (x2 or x3) + Warlock with Destructor (joined by Farseers); thise units should have at least 9 bikers + the Warlock.

x1 (or x2, if points allow) Jetbike squad + Warlock with Spear and Embolden. this unit should have 6-7 bikers + Warlock.

that's how i would run it at least. Cyclown brings up a good point about the number of HQ choices you have in your list, but TBH, Eldar on bikes are only as good as SM, but not as numerous, and more expensive, so by that you have tougher troops that get advantages for moving, but not many of them.

that's still pretty fragile, IMO, so i'd try to get as many bikers as possible.

good hunting.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I quite like the list, but I'd definately agree on getting a seer council and some vypers.
This could be financed by removing a Fire Prism since 2 is more than enough, removing the shining spear squad and taking 2 squads of 12 Guardian Jetbikes instead of 4 squads of 7.

best of luck :D

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Never cut Fire Prisms for Vypers. One of them is a nice value in killing value for it's points, the other one is... a Fast Attack slot. I generally don't look at fast attack until I've filled Heavy and Elites, not matter what point value I'm at.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Perhaps adding a warlock on to some of your troops might increase the anti tank, I find leadership 8 not great having a warlock with embolden is cool,

try the autarch with the reaper launcher with 2 shuriken cannon guardian jetbikes, can be quite good anti infantry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts