Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been alot looking at the army showcases recently and it is sad to see so many armies with great fluff, great plans and great promises that ends there. No pics, no updates, just dreams.

I've noticed that many belongs to users I know is active since I've seen them posting in threads on the boards.

Now I call for a common crackdown for all of us that know we once posted our army in the showcase. Please update with pics if there is any. Even if the army have long since been put on ebay or assimilated into a new army, let us know. There is so many great ideas that seems to end in nothing and I hate to believe it reflects the actual truth.

I have thought about how this has happned in the first place and I wonder if the army showcase has been oused by the project logs. What is the general opinion on this? I think we need to hold on and post our showcases first when we have a finished army to put on show. The journey to the finished army, that is what the 'plogs' are for.

·
Unhinged Hobo
2,341 Posts
I've been alot looking at the army showcases recently and it is sad to see so many armies with great fluff, great plans and great promises that ends there. No pics, no updates, just dreams.

I've noticed that many belongs to users I know is active since I've seen them posting in threads on the boards.

Now I call for a common crackdown for all of us that know we once posted our army in the showcase. Please update with pics if there is any. Even if the army have long since been put on ebay or assimilated into a new army, let us know. There is so many great ideas that seems to end in nothing and I hate to believe it reflects the actual truth.

I have thought about how this has happned in the first place and I wonder if the army showcase has been oused by the project logs. What is the general opinion on this? I think we need to hold on and post our showcases first when we have a finished army to put on show. The journey to the finished army, that is what the 'plogs' are for.
I don't think the plogs have made a lot of difference, the thing is the showcase is kinda out of the way and doesn't necisarily get visited a lot. I try to update my showcase occasionally but nowhere near as often as i do the plog that attatches to it. I know there are several pieces of info that are out of date but the time it takes to update or rewrite a section when there is no guarantee that it will be seen kinda puts me off.

That said, now that you've reminded me of it i'll probably go in now and see what areas i can bring back up to date. i know that i can add images of my new weirdboy tower and a couple of characters/squads that got finished but considering that i've been working on the AP challenge this year i don't seem to have a whole lot to add to my Showcase.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
For me, even the project threads have too many dead bodies... the Army showcase should be more used, however. At the moment it is just out of sight and out of the main "walkways" of the forum. And, imo, yes, plogs might hinder it. But for me the plog area works just fine, if not better.
Nonetheless, when i will be done painting ALL my chaos army (not so long time required still..), i'll put that there.

·
Unhinged Hobo
2,341 Posts
Nonetheless, when i will be done painting ALL my chaos army (not so long time required still..), i'll put that there.
Have you considered doing the core of it and just adding units as they are completed? That's how i've been running mine and it means that i never have the daunting project of uploading an entire army in one hit, i can just add a couple of units at a time. Yes it means that some of my squad images are a little all over the place but i can go back and take shots for all of the squads and bring the whole thing up to date.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
We are working on revitalising the Showcase and would welcome any suggestions you might have for putting a bit more ..... voom into it.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Have you considered doing the core of it and just adding units as they are completed? That's how i've been running mine and it means that i never have the daunting project of uploading an entire army in one hit, i can just add a couple of units at a time. Yes it means that some of my squad images are a little all over the place but i can go back and take shots for all of the squads and bring the whole thing up to date.
At this point i can wait: i should already post more than 20 pics altogheter, i might as well post 30 :p

About "suggestions": one thing one could do is to place the button into a more visible place or to transform it into a Forum Area of sort. Even just publicizing it could be enough. Maybe a competition of sort? The best showcase (voted by the forum) could just be awarded with, say, an award. But i'm not qualified to make any comment on this...

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
I think it is not so much the award itself but the process of granting it that neferhet is concerned about.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Have you considered doing the core of it and just adding units as they are completed?
This is what I have moved to doing. I have been trying to keep my Army Showcase updated with every model/list/goal change that I have been going through. I enjoy the section.

Something that might make it more visible would be finding a way to integrate that "Random Army" plug-in (the one that shows up on the left when you have an army showcase open) on the main page or even just a small link with picture with a "Featured Army".

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
I think it is not so much the award itself but the process of granting it that neferhet is concerned about.
Exactly. the reward (note that i never heard nor read about that one...but maybe it's me) is just a mere bonus. the process of involving people is the thing that matter. Speaking of it, luring people into it.

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
I have always treated the army showcase as a place for completed projects. I'm sure I need to update my 40k chaos army showcase since the end of the last painting competition.

I don't know about others, but I also have army showcases for games which are out of print, such as Warzone. So I don't have much of an opportunity to update my army there, that army came from the early to mid 1990's.

And since I started grad school my hobby time is greatly reduced. Almost all my time on heresy online is via tapatalk these days so it's even harder to manage that sort of content via mobile device.

·
Unhinged Hobo
2,341 Posts
Something that might make it more visible would be finding a way to integrate that "Random Army" plug-in (the one that shows up on the left when you have an army showcase open) on the main page or even just a small link with picture with a "Featured Army".
Oooo, what about if the "Quote" bar on the modelling and project log foruums were replaced with the random army tag? That should get the showcases noticed.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
Oooo, what about if the "Quote" bar on the modelling and project log foruums were replaced with the random army tag? That should get the showcases noticed.
That is a good idea.

Another option might be for an Army to be included in the Mod Blog each week. Maybe we can do a little bit of an interview on it as well.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is a good idea.

Another option might be for an Army to be included in the Mod Blog each week. Maybe we can do a little bit of an interview on it as well.
Two great ideas there!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts