Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to try to paint the warband below and I'm trying to figure out various ways to achieve a rusted armour scheme. Right now I'm thinking of using Typhus corrosion with Ryza rust over it, but I can't decide on what colour to go below the corrosion, should it be Hashut Copper, Bronze Scoprion, Runelord Brass, perhaps even a gold or steel colour, which do you think?

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
The colour scheme you show here is bronze with verdigris.

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
Brass, then gold, then washed with green and brown washes then use the technical paint that looks like verdigris.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
The colour scheme you show here is bronze with verdigris.
It is indeed, and Jacobite's minotaur project log will help you no end with this.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I'll try Scorpion Brass as the base.

The description for them, that may not translate well to the picture is.

"The Reborn are a Chaos Space Marine warband, which is noted for having heavily corroded armor and using very old, almost antiquated weaponry. The first sighting of them was reported in 795.M40."

So I thought maybe the entire armour could be corroded and rusty and that could bit it's scheme as well as a unusual texture to the armour due to the typhus corrosion and ryza rust.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The 2 Technical paints that combine for Rust are pretty good. One is actually called something Rust and is orange i believe while the other is called something Oxide and is the greednish color. These 2 would replicate that color perfectly, but as for the texture i have no clue

·
Registered
80 Posts
hmm looks rather nice, would be very cool on a Plague Marine, Dreadnought, or Terminator though

·
Registered
585 Posts
Excellent job there. Looks very much like the picture at the start of the post. But like Nordicus says, maybe drybrushing your metallic colour on parts to make it a bit more shiny.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Heres my attempt at rust...

This is painted with...

tan brown base
brown wash
then stippling on...
mid brown
dark brown
brown/orange
orange
Ryza rust

then sponge on metal

then heavy dusting with Tamiya Rust powder...

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
Nice rust there, Musashi. A lot of good texture going on.

@Words_of_Truth I would definitely do more dry brushing to bring the bronze back up. As it is your verdigris color isn't bad, but it's a bit flat. And more importantly it's smooth and even, which makes no sense unless those marines have been sitting outside being rained on for years.

Google image search verdigris if you haven't already and take a look at how is develops. Oxidized bronze is dark, dull, brown/black with verdigris where water has run or collected. And brighter bronze coloring where friction has worn the oxidation away.

Good luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts