Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

181 - 200 of 369 Posts

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Tau expand between every codex. Shadowsun also led the last expansion so I'm not sure this is that much news. Having a book about it though is going to be great.

And it's going to be a long time until Tau seriously annoy the Imperium, they've swallowed a few fringe worlds and are rubbing shoulders with Macragge, but in the prior case the Imperium doesn't care enough yet and in the latter case, the Tau and the Ultramarines are pretty much permanent allies so there shouldn't be any major diplomatic incident.

There's a reason that Tau and Codexarines are Blood Brothers in the ally chart. I'm really not expecting a whole lot of strife, honestly.

I'm really concerned with how the Riptide will compete. It feels like it could easily be a Heavy Support with its firepower... but it's not competing with Broadsides or Hammerheads. Will it be more effective than 3 Crisis, however?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
There's a reason that Tau and Codexarines are Blood Brothers in the ally chart. I'm really not expecting a whole lot of strife, honestly.

I'm really concerned with how the Riptide will compete. It feels like it could easily be a Heavy Support with its firepower... but it's not competing with Broadsides or Hammerheads. Will it be more effective than 3 Crisis, however?
That'll be a question that'll be obvious when you see the netlists...

Anyway, I think it's a brilliant idea to move that in elite slots. Tau were too heavy support reliant as it is.

I'm curious to see what they'll do with the sniper drones as well.

·
Ranty ranter!
2,262 Posts

Hmm... It's not that much different in size (in mass it is though, haha) from a Necron Triarch Stalker, which is also Elite. The stalker is really squishy though, so the Riptide with T6 and W4 would be a defensive powerhouse.

But do we know if it has jet packs? If not, it's probably breaking more lore rules than anything so far at Tau's disposal.

It looks to have a LOT of options. Which is inherently a good thing for it. I can't imagine it could possibly be bad unless the base cost is too high.

I don't think you should be thinking "Crisis or Riptide" just yet. They will solve different problems. Depending on the rules, I'll probably end up with 1 Riptide in my regular army and none in my Stealth army (if XV25 get fixed)

Of course, they may just nerf the snot out of XV8 suits because they were the 'spammable' of choice in the previous codex. That's their usual marketing strategy, at least.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Those models look cool can’t wait till I have my own white dwarf to look at them better
Roll on the 30th !
::hopes for another alien update (Orks), then a good guy update(sisters), then a creature feature (Tyranids), then Space Marines by 3rd quarter or 4th quarter this year.::

Glad Tau got the much needed update, as I see this getting me one step closer to the Space Marines.

·
Embrace the Insanity
1,159 Posts
I got excited when I saw Farsight because he seems to have different feet that look stronger than the current crisis suit ones, but then I saw the Crisis suit next to it with the same feet we have now. All well I'm excited non the less.

·
Banned
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #191 (Edited)
So, out of sheer curiosity, how bad was this update to Tau needed and how long has it been needed?
I'd say it's been due at least since 5th came out. They have never really been good from my experience.

If we talk update order I'd list it from most needed as: SoB, Tau, Eldar, Orks, BT, Tyranids. Once these are done I think they most armies should be pretty balanced, there are just a few units in each codex that would need a tweek. Mandrakes in DE, Archons court. Hmm, can't really think of anything else. Blood Crushers need a fix, their fluff is SOOOO HORRIBLE!!! when you compare it to their stats...

Chaos Daemons codex: Bloodcrushers of Khorne, pg. 30, last line of second section:
"Only the heaviest weapons have a chance of piercing its armoured skin, and by the time such weapons are brought to bear, it is usually too late."

Yeah.... that 6+ armour save is real scaaaaary... Almost every weapon in the game can pierce the armour, the 5+ inv save might give some protection but the armour is useless.

They should roll all SM dexes into a single codex as well, this could be easily done and not take up more pages than the current book. Just have wargear pages for each chapter, heck they could add wargear pages for all chapters. Every chapter only needs 2 pages, 1 for wargear and 1 for army special rules. The rest is pretty much exactly the same for all SM dexes.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
If I'm reading this correctly, Tau last had an update in 4th?
Agreed on the bit about marines being funneled into one 'dex, but, aren't the reason BA, DA,BT, and SW in their own codec due to being non-codex compliant chapters?

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
Agreed on the bit about marines being funneled into one 'dex, but, aren't the reason BA, DA,BT, and SW in their own codec due to being non-codex compliant chapters?
I guess the notion is that so much of their equipment is common you could simply do it as a base force with differences for each chapter as required. Not that much different to each of the Chaos Gods having different CSM and Daemon traits really.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
I guess the notion is that so much of their equipment is common you could simply do it as a base force with differences for each chapter as required. Not that much different to each of the Chaos Gods having different CSM and Daemon traits really.
Well, I understand that. I guess the idea of traits specific to a chapter is what wasn't registering.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Don't think that the BA/nillarines dex would work as all the points values of the vehicles are different, for example rhinos are 15 points extra. Also you would have to have unit entries that say you can only use these with X army, thunderwolf cavalry is an example of this, can you imagine how many kids would turn up to play with ultramairnes on wolves?

Its not the best system, having multiple dex's but it seems to work alright.

·
Embrace the Insanity
1,159 Posts
I can see them releasing an "all in one" codex for Marines and have it divided into the separate Chapters........and then charging 3 times the price.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
I can see them releasing an "all in one" codex for Marines and have it divided into the separate Chapters........and then charging 3 times the price.
As opposed to 5 times the price like it is now ? BA, DA, SM, BT & SW codices ?

·
Embrace the Insanity
1,159 Posts
Well if they really wanted to be greedy, they could charge the $83 (AUS) for the new codexes, times 5 and make it cost $415 rather than the current price for $289

·
Jeepers
1,354 Posts
Yeah but my beloved Iron Hands ain't compliant either, No chaplains, Ad Mech Love, rarely any termie squads instead they take place of a Sargent, Iron Father's, Clan Organisation, clan council instead of Chapter Master etc yet they don't get their own dex, heck they don't even get their own character, so why should the other 'none-codex' chapters get one. I'm sure someone more familiar with the Ravenguard, White Scars, Salamanders and Imperial Fists could make a case for them too. I honestly think they should make them have their own codexes. It's wrong they are bundled in while other chapters get their own.

Just trait it like Chaos or Separate them all and make Ultra the standard dex and be done with it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Why the ultamarines? They're crap.

Any way if I had to be honest I'd rather not have one codex to rule them all, I just think it would be a nightmare, especially when BA, SW and DA players want their specific dex's and not a yellow pages where they only use a third of it, yes you probably could fit all the characters, vehicles and units into a book about the size of the nillarines dex, but don't forget most 40K books (including BRB) are about 30% fluff.

I'm probably gonna get flamed to death for this but I would like to see MORE SM dex's(yes you read that correctly) salamanders and iron hands especially

181 - 200 of 369 Posts