Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

21 - 40 of 1100 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have to say I doubt they will remodel many of the kits that are already in finecast. I would say that noise marines and thousand sons are most likely to be getting new models, as both contain metal bits and haven't been on the shelves in any GW I have visited for months.

I think the above 2 and dreadnoughts are most likely to get new models. i think obliterators will not be remodelled but will be released in finecast. A few characters for the different legions maybe re-released in finecast and some new characters for the legions that haven't been so central in the previous codexes.

I think there will most likely only be one book again, but with more variation allowing you to build more heavily themed armies. As much as I want a complete overhaul I can't see it coming...

·
Registered
29 Posts
I personally would love to see chaos dexes get broken up like the marines have. Undivided gets their own book so more akin to smurfs and the other dedicated legions get their own dex much like wolves blood angles ect ect. To me this makes more sense and would allow for far more diversity among the chaos forces. seriously these guys have had 10000 years to build whatever their twisted minds could come up with and all we get is the most basic stripped down versions of smurf gear and junk demons.

·
Drinker of tea...
2,277 Posts
Ahh, thinking of the new character rumours, if we didn't get a new Ragnar, Grimnar, Ulrik or Techmarine sculpt, some of the oldest sculpts in the line, I can't see us getting a new Kharn, Abadon or oblitorators either...

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
So how many new plastic kits do you think we'll see?
The numbers stack up pretty fast but I guess it's possible, personally I think we'll see something like the space wolves kit where you get a buttload of bits to make your models with.

I dont really think it's feasible for them to have 4 boxes for most new units, heck it'd be 5 boxes for different Bike units, 4 boxes for the riders if those a true. We'd be looking at 20+ new boxes and I dont think they'd do that.
Its hard to guess these days, GW could in theory go completely bonkers with chaos, the range has the to potential to spawn numerous plastic kits, Even without including any never before seen units and not recutting anything they could fill up at least two release months just moving things like dreads,havocs,raptors,deathguard,thousand sons,noise marines,night lords from metal to plastic, then chuck in some finecast stuff like oblits and characters and you already have a massive release, then when you start looking outside the box to never seen before stuff like assault berserkers you could have stuff coming out for months. But that said chaos does actually deserve that kind of range, chaos in theory should be as varied if not more varied than the loyalist chapters, it really depends on GW and how much variety they want to include into the model range, Personally i think the chaos marine range is looking dated, berserkers could use a resculpt as they are very dated, the chaos marines themselves are dated,the sprues were recut for the last codex but the sculpts were the same as the old ones. The terminators are relatively new so i cant see much happeneing there but personally i think they look awful, i would always use the FW upgrade pack to give them something extra.

I have always thought the last chaos codex was a filler codex, it was poorly received and was a shadow of what chaos marines should be about, it felt like a half assed codex designed to fill a gap while GW really worked on something special for chaos, dont forget chaos is a very very large and important part of 40k, marine vs marine, brother vs brother, the heresy etc etc these things are the most influential fluff in the game and chaos marines have always been great sellers (well until the last codex) and allow peoples imaginations to run riot in terms of building themed armies,writing fluff and model making and converting, you only have to look at some of the amazing stuff FW have produced in the last 5 years to see that chaos fans are still there and GW will know that and will want to cash in.

If chaos marines are in the pipeline i think its gonna be a big deal and if they are included in the 40k box set then we will be sick of them by this time next year as they will be shoved down our throats from all angles, but rightly so they deserve a big relaunch more than any other army in my opinion.

My only concern is that GW dont put the models out quickly enough, the back lash for the second wave of nids and space wolves was justified and if GW do the same again we are gonna see third party companies pumping out quick and dirty kits to cash in yet again, GW should put out the codex and release all never before seen units with it and then the second wave should be the stuff that gets recut sprues,finecasted or new versions of old models like a plastic dread,raptors,havocs etc.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Bits, I like reading your stuff and I think you know a lot about what's happening (at least speculating from a sound base!), but have noticed in this thread you keep referring to DG going plastic from metal - I'm sure they went Finecast last May, so surely they'll stay as Finecast?

Hope so anyway...

CtS

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
Bits, I like reading your stuff and I think you know a lot about what's happening (at least speculating from a sound base!), but have noticed in this thread you keep referring to DG going plastic from metal - I'm sure they went Finecast last May, so surely they'll stay as Finecast?

Hope so anyway...

CtS
Trust me i just speculate, im no more informed than the next guy, but i watch GW much more closely than most do, i have to because of what i do.
The deathguard is an interesting point, yes they have become fine cast recently which some would say would mean they will stay that way, but i would counter that with the hive tyrant, he was fine cast for a very short time (so short im lumbered with one) too, IF GW decided to actually do legion codex then i would say DG would feature very heavily for Nurgle and there fore would likely get a plastic kit, Nurgle is for many chaos fans the number one chaos god, Khorne gets alot of attention but Nurgle will always be popular, look at FW they have 2 sets of chaos marine upgrades, world eaters and Nurgle, they also have alot of Nurgle related models in the range too, I would expect GW to release Nurgle marines of some sort in plastic, they may not be Deathguard but could be used as such.

Dont forget fine cast molds go to shit quite quickly so if something is a good seller in fine cast i can see it moving to plastic, I can see a much quicker shift to plastic in the future for many things including characters, Warhammer fantasy already has a number of single plastic characters in blisters, i could see that being the future for 40k in the long run too, even the new characters we are seeing released in fine cast were likely sculpted assuming they would be cast in metal and many of the old sculpts in fine cast are just stop gaps until someone bothers or cares enough to replace them.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Interesting points there, Bits... I'm a DG player/painter myself but haven't bought any Finecast PM yet. If they are to go to plastic, does that not place a big question over Finecast generally, if some models have already moved to it?

The moulds issue must be a serious one, I understood moulds to be quite expensive to produce?

Anyway, big danger of going Off Topic here, so let's leave that aside and pick it up another time...

Arabest,

CtS

·
Registered
266 Posts
Death guard will go rather nicely in my collection.

Any way has anyone got any one got any gen on the horus aximand mini or rules whether he's gonna be a watered down abaddon or abaddons getting beefed up and little horus is getting his old rules.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Little Horus won't be in it, because he's still being written about in the HH books, and he's a 30k character. I doubt that Aximand survives the Heresy, if I'm honest, as (correct me if I'm wrong) Abaddon would surely have him killed to secure power if he survived the many battles of the Heresy and Scouring. And I reiterate that I heard that GW can't publish characters until BL give them the say-so, and vice versa (BL can't kill off Vulkan He'Stan in the next Salamanders book, for example, because that shit doesn't go down well with fans).

I don't like the idea of a massive 5-book mega-release. Why? Because I like being a unique and special flower and don't want to see 90% of the player base playing Chaos Marines. If this does happen, I'll play them for a few months, but probably to GK if I don't like the hype.

Midnight

·
Registered
266 Posts
Abaddon is still being written about though. I suppose I just want a mini because I like the character. That and the fact he got his face chainsawed off, you have to admire a man who survives that

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
I don't remember the specifics, but some characters are no-goes for GW. They may have abolished that policy a while ago, but AFIK it's still there in some form or another. Abaddon has had rules since 2nd ed, before they started writing the Horus Heresy, so he might be an exception,

Midnight

·
Registered
132 Posts
Is obvious that caos engine wont be in new dex.. it is just popped up from fw.. so surely we wont see it in normal gw rules

·
!!FailHammer!! Podcaster
486 Posts
If they don't makea plastic Noise Marine kit (which we could really do with considering the heavy weapons options) surely they'd have to transfer the current noise marine upgrades to finecast.

·
Banned
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Dont know how reliable theDarkGeneral is but this rumour is interesting none the less, updating info to reflect it
theDarkGeneral said:
The new Codex is done, and yeah, it should be leaving the printers shortly, to be stored up in ware houses for distribution within the next couple of months. As for models, apparently 4 waves are planned...there's a lot of Chaos to be covered. With the Daemons to be redone sometime next year (2013) for both 40K and Fantasy, we'll see the new Greater Daemon models then.

Interesting that vehicle upgrades have been brought up, especially for Legion specific types of weapons, and apparently we do get some similar to the old "3.5" codex in these. Poisoned flamers for Nurgle, higher strength/lower AP for Tzeentch, sonic weaponry for Slaanesh and brutal blades for Khorne? Raptors are Night Lords, where as Assault Marines are all Legions and can be marked.

As i've already mentioned, HQs will have an affect on the types of units/marks available to your Army. IF 6th Edition returns to Percentages, the Codex will make more sense...

·
Banned
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
The last part of this is interesting yet contradicting at the same time.
theDarkGeneral said:
Hmmmm...i do hope players understand that the Codex is meant to do two things; firstly it's going to allow all us "older vet" players the ability to once again field a Chaos Space Marine Army that feels and plays like a specific Legion like they used to, secondly it's still going to allow very fexible builds for those accuctomed to the current Codex. HQs "unlock" units in the sense of what they count as, wargear upgrades for squads and vehicles, daemonic access, and perhsps even unit sizes.

The codex will be in the ware houses within couple months, wish I could for sure say May is their sneak peek...

Chosen and Possessed probably have the biggest overhaul of all units. The fact that you can probably take Chosen as a bodyguard unit and count towards you HQs will greatly free up Elites points...

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
Is obvious that caos engine wont be in new dex.. it is just popped up from fw.. so surely we wont see it in normal gw rules
Yes, it's totally obvious. Since FW has never had a model progress to plastic and be included in a codex.

Well, except for Valkyries... and Piranhas...and Venerable Dreads... and Manticores...and etc.

I jsut cannot wait until I can field my Chaos again without feeling like GKs or SWs are so OP. As with the IG book, it will be sweet to hear the cries of "Cheeese!!!" for my Chaos. :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
4,111 Posts
As with the IG book, it will be sweet to hear the cries of "Cheeese!!!" for my Chaos. :biggrin:
Twil be glorious music to my ears...

·
Banned
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Some more from theDarkGeneral, he/she mentions the Rage rule. I really dont like the current Rage rule as a Sisters of Battle player with both of my favourite units in 40k having it, Sisters Repentia and Penitent Engines, I did however really like the Rage rule in the "Heretics Rulebook" (aka 6E leak).

Here is how that works:
Rage: You can move as you want but if you come within 12" of a VISIBLE unit you have to do a morale check at the start of the movement phase. If failed you must charge and assault the nearest visible unit. For every raging model lost in the unit the roll is modified by -1. Ignores the rule while broken, embarked or no enemy visible.
theDarkGeneral said:
"If" Rage returns for World Eater units, it'll be governed by the old rule already mentioned, where each unit simply takes a Ld test at the beginning of the turn. Failure means you move towards and assault if possible the closest visible enemy unit (that can be assaulted).

Chain Axe talk has come up again...i believe they had two ideas of revamping them...first was giving them rending, the second was +1 strength. Time will tell if either made it into the new Codex.

Speaking of the Codex, I know I always refer to it as Chaos Legions Codex, but that doesn't necessarily mean that's correct. It's just what i've come to refer it to, as it was originally a project that was to be 3 separate Codexes (i know codices is grammatically correct, but I don't care) that were to delve deeper into the the original Traitor Legions and many of their off shoots.

Balance of power? Well...there well be plenty of power, however unless you're playing Apocalypse games, most units can't move from Elite to Troop or Fast, etc. Imagine an Iron Warriors player (bringing a Warsmith HQ) that can take Havocs as either Heavy OR Elite OR both???? I'm not sure on this, but it was mentioned to me.

Alpha Legion, well...as i've mentioned over a month back, will more then likely have lots of Infiltrating abilities that pass on to transports. Scouting Land Raiders full of meta-gamed Chosen????!!!! LOL!

I do really hope I can get more info on the possible NEW Predator upgrades!!! I hope I'm not being yanked by my boyz on this!!!

21 - 40 of 1100 Posts