Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes a houserule can be as simple as "We don't play with <insert rule>"

So what rules do you play without if you can, or what rules do you wish we didn't have?

For me the big one is Escalation. I hate it. I think it completely screws with an otherwise well thought out list and battle plan and throws the game in favor of who has the best luck with reserves rolls.

How about you guys? What rules do you like to, or wish you could, drop?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I hate the rule where you have to declare all charges at the same time I always forget and end up missing out on a lot of combat For example I'll Charge My Lord and start rolling for Combat straight away Fortunately most of my club agreed and made a house rule so that you can do one round of combat then go to another unit charge and do combat etc.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Escalation completely throws off many units and lists, but playing alpha makes lists that rely on deepstriking or special units that infiltrate less useful or even crippled. Whenever I play, I ask my opponent if we can play gamma. No one has turned it down yet. IMO, escalation should be moved to special missions only. At least it usually screws both opponents equally (excepting a mechanized list).

I also dislike that you have to roll for difficult terrain even if your unit isn't getting a cover save from area terrain due to not having enough models in. It should be one or the other.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got no problem with the mid-level rules, infiltrate, etc. We usually don't play alpha because it takes most of the fun stuff out.

I just say bugger Escalation ;-)

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I hate the rule where you have to declare all charges at the same time I always forget and end up missing out on a lot of combat For example I'll Charge My Lord and start rolling for Combat straight away Fortunately most of my club agreed and made a house rule so that you can do one round of combat then go to another unit charge and do combat etc.
same here i hate it when they do that its so annoying its like they can only win if they dont let you charge

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
on the flip side though, letting you declare charges after you've already fought an assault could give you an unfair edge. If you were planning to commit two squads to an assault but the first squad ends up defeating the enemy squad your second squad then goes someplace where it wouldn't. Or if you try to take on something too big with only one squad and get wiped you can throw another squad at it while it;s wounded.

My advice: Declare your most boring charges first. Save the IC's rampage for last ;-)

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had the same problem. I'd end up screwing myself out of charges because I was so hyped up about getting Mephiston or the DC into the fray. So now I save the best for last ;-)

·
Registered
599 Posts
I could do without the movment phase...let my shooty army go to town, same for pesky LOS.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Occasionally, we play with "realistic" line of sight using a laser pointer, and throw terrain levels and the like out the window. Have everything essentially count as Level 1 Terrain for movement, and kind of play it by ear. It's fun occasionally, although it does throw some game mechanics out the window that are there for balance issues, so it's really best to play RAW.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Um, skimmers moving fast anyone? I hate this rule, it makes it so that a skimmer can become nearly invincible to shooting by moving the equivalent of what? 50ft? Modern rockets move so much faster than a falcon grav, I don't see how they can only be glanced by something moving at the speed of light like a lascannon. It's just a load of bull.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Aye, "your moving to fast for my laser to hit you" even though my cavalry moved just as far they where ripped apart.

also the entire tanks not being able to shoot and move....i could acept a decrease to bs based on movment but not able to shoot?

·
Registered
232 Posts
I agree a tank was designed with wheels so it could move and a gun so it could shoot. plus the gunner and driver are two seperate people so couldnt one load and the othe fire? Also i hate all this regenerate wound stuff or comes back to life and stuff like that

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Just for kicks, I played a game where we threw out AP on all weapons AP4 or worse (we left AP3 or better because they're...well, usually anti-tank weapons or designed specifically to punch through armor). The funny thing is that the number of models that actually make their armor save when given the chance is remarkably small. Shoot a squad of guardsmen with bolters, but let them take their armor save. Honestly, it saves one guy. I think it's better to just let the strength vs. toughness comparison (and thus ease or difficulty to wound) reflect what AP is supposed to, and not worry about it as much.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Never knew that you had to move all units into combat at once before you start resolving attacks:shok::shok::shok::shok::shok:

I've always played like that at tournies i've gone to

1 - 15 of 15 Posts