Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some things you guys just plain hate about the rules of 40k, and wish GW would fix?
It really bugs me how much fiddly stuff there is, like warlord traits and the psychic phase, it makes the game heaps slower. It could just be written better, to streamline the game.
And fluff-rules inconsistencies. Terminators are supposed to be ancient, walking tanks, but a stray Lasgun shot to the face can kill them, it's ridiculous!

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
STR D. Fuck this rule.

95% of my complaints with 40k can be traced back to this stupid rule, that was meant for colossal games and has now made it's way in abundance to the smaller games.

I severely dislike anything in the game that goes "LOL I rolled a X, remove your model" mechanics. Where tactics, cover and save are complete useless. STR D is a careless fix to a game that has escalated to a point where the only save worth mentioning is a invulnerable save, as everything has AP2/1.

Make STR D a STR 10, AP1, Ordnance - Then you would still have much of the devastation but not the Toys'R'Us approach that is STR D.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Units that are forced to snappshot (like from jinking) must reroll successive hits when fireing against fliers. They already have a bad aim and should have a harder time shooting at fliers.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Everything about assault.
To kill something in shooting you just have to be in range,roll to hit, roll to wound then saves. That's it.

Assault, first move into range, then charge and absorb overwatch taking into account cover and rolling to make it in, then roll to hit (taking into account your op's WS) at initiative step often after your op, then roll to wound, saves, total up wounds, work out winner/loser, roll for LD, roll for sweeping advance, fall back, consolidate. Next assault.

Fuck that.

Double fuck it, as I run orks! :laugh:

Oh and I forgot challenges too, what a pile of unnecessarily complicated wank buckets.

·
Registered
393 Posts
It would help that all units for a particular force (looking at you cock wombles at Forgeworld screwing us over on Shadow Spectre exarchs) had the exact same stats & not be fed some bollocks because its too much trouble to fucking proof read now.... RANT OVER

Reactions: Winterous

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Not a huge fan of blasts hitting multiple levels of ruins, rerollable 2+ invulns (armour or cover is fine), or Invisibility but only the first one of those actually comes up in any of the games I play. The rules for my armies I'm mostly fine with - letting Battle Tanks and Demolishers fire their turret as well as their sponsons would be nice, but most of my faction-specific rules issues are with other armies (Instinctive Behaviour is too punishing, but hardly common so it's not too bad; Reanimation Protocols working as an improved version of FnP is too much etc.)

I don't actually have huge problems with the 40k ruleset, other than that stupid blasts in ruins one.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It would help that all units for a particular force (looking at you cock wombles at Forgeworld screwing us over on Shadow Spectre exarchs) had the exact same stats & not be fed some bollocks because its too much trouble to fucking proof read now.... RANT OVER
Could you elaborate on this? I don't quite understand what you mean.
Also merry christmas guys.

·
Registered
358 Posts
for me its Gws love for Space marines in my group i have to work soo much harder to keep with the marine players and there op formations (eg hows the hell is a liberian concalave better than a seer coucil )

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
for me its Gws love for Space marines in my group i have to work soo much harder to keep with the marine players and there op formations (eg hows the hell is a liberian concalave better than a seer coucil )
...I'm sorry, is this an Eldar player complaining about other armies being powerful?

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Since I don't face strength D weapons pretty much ever I don't have much of a gripe with them, though if they were more prevalent in my meta I would likely be frustrated given that out of the approximately 10k points in 40k models I own none that have access to it.

My real gripe with 40k is the amount of special rules bestowed upon Formations. I do enjoy them and there's some really cool ones out there that help make armies more unique, but I really don't think some of them need to be as good as they are. I get that GW uses rules to sell stock/new models but some of the stuff available to a Battle Forged army is just nuts regardless of the Faction you play.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Oh, shame, you'll just have to make do with Warp Spiders, Fire Dragons and Scatter Bikes to ruin everyone's day, supported by the rest of your - hell, apart from the Avatar and Phoenix Lords, Codex with every single unit being valid and viable.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Oh, shame, you'll just have to make do with Warp Spiders, Fire Dragons and Scatter Bikes to ruin everyone's day, supported by the rest of your - hell, apart from the Avatar and Phoenix Lords, Codex with every single unit being valid and viable.
As much as I love, them, I think my Shining Spears disagree.

Back to the OP... rules I hate:

Thousand Sons.

Which aren't so much rules as they are suck because they need some rules.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Any randomly rolled characteristic pisses me off (like warlord traits, psychic powers). I want to plan my army, not hope I randomly get a good one.

I agree about formations - I'd rather have less restrictive formations with less bonuses than feel like I have to run a specific formation because the benefits are too good to pass up.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Any randomly rolled characteristic pisses me off (like warlord traits, psychic powers). I want to plan my army, not hope I randomly get a good one...
I agree, it would be much better if we could choose, and pay points for, warlord traits and psychic powers too. Just like any other upgrade. It is utterly pointless for these things to be random, and it adds no value to the game mechanics at all.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Any randomly rolled characteristic pisses me off (like warlord traits, psychic powers). I want to plan my army, not hope I randomly get a good one.
Honestly, powers are one of the few things I think that randomisation is arguably a good idea with.
At least fluff wise, since a Psyker can never truly rely on their powers to work exactly how they want.
Rules-wise I can appreciate why randomness is a bad thing, because it encourages Psyker stacking to guarantee an important power.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
A minor gripe of mine is the order of the turn sequence.
The I move, I shoot, I assault- You move, you shoot, you assault makes the turns feel very far apart and really makes it feel like it's 'my turn your turn' rather than both sides acting at once
I'd like it if it was 'I move, you move, I shoot, you shoot ETC' as it would make the turns feel much more entwined

- Kiro

·
Registered
522 Posts
All of the yes. Imagine Invisibility was a ~30 point upgrade for a psyker :laugh:
Something like invisibility, I think, would have to be a 50 point upgrade, or it would need to be nerfed. Psykers could be made cheaper, as long as their psychic powers are paid for. Also more powerful psychic powers to be limited to more powerful Psykers, who cost more to upgrade.
You could then spam loads of low level Psykers for deny the witch and minor buffs, or blow your stack on one huge badass.
:grin:

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
As much as I love, them, I think my Shining Spears disagree.
25pts for an Aspect Warrior statline with a 12" move + 2D6" move in the assault phase with a 36" Flat Out, permanent 4+ cover with a 3+ Jink, 3+ armour, decent short range shooting (in fact, considering the unit class consists almost entirely of guys with Bolt Pistols or no ranged guns at all, I'll say they have excellent short range shooting for their unit type), a powerful charge and a very cheap sergeant upgrade who can win challenges against even most HQs on said charge isn't a truly bad unit though. C'mon, man - as a CSM player, you know the face of fucking shit terrible units, and while Shining Spears are arguably the worst choice in the Fast Attack slot, that's only because Warp Spiders are an all-star unit on a par with the old Heldrake; Wraithfighters are a Flyer with Destroyer weapons, ML2 in the most or joint most powerful discipline in the game, and a very powerful area debuff; and Swooping Hawks are cheap, extremely mobile anti-infantry who are also one of the best anti-Flyer units in any Codex. Shining Spears aren't bad at all, they're just a fairly priced, solid unit which in the Eldar Codex means they're at the bottom of the heap.

I like randomisation for Psychic Powers. I used to hate all the randomness, particularly Seize the Initiative, but it's all grown on me. If you let people buy specific psychic powers, you make the powerful powers even stronger. Would I pay 100pts to give Tigurius guaranteed Invisibility and Perfect Timing? In a heartbeat, absolutely yes. That said, I would like more balance between the disciplines - some are very hit and miss with some awesome and some crap powers (Biomancy, Divination, Sanctic), and there are the plain winners (Malefic, Telepathy), and then the forgotten disciplines (Telekinesis and Pyromancy). A more equal power level amongst psychic powers would be great.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts