Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 - Let's Party (or at least model) like it's 1989!

Hi folks, so the new year has been here for a while and now its time to start with some hobby fun. Since December and life changing for the better I have been on a bit of a retro funk and have indulged in many culinary delights, music marvels and video failures from my youth. Until recently however one thing has always eluded me due to time and costs, that slippery weasel is the joy of the hobby days of my youth!
So trawling through facebook I discovered I wasn't the only one pining for the modelling days of yore. In my travels of the book of face I came across the Oldhammer Community (https://www.facebook.com/groups/400319303383363/?fref=nf) who are a group who share my interest in older models from both 40k and WHFB. So on joining the group and spending some time mooching around I rediscovered this art work and fell in love all over again.

I origionally had a few RT marines in my younger days but these were second hand even then as we had no really hobby shops in my old home town so these came to me by way of a car boot sale and had already been painted a good few times. Even with that I had fun painting them and dreamt of the days of owning my own army and having a proper hobby.
Eventually by the time I really got the pocket money and understanding to get in to things like warhammer the new 2nd/3rd edition marines (cant remember which) were coming out and things were moving on, in other words White Dwarf was out and Mail order ruled, that and occasionally I got to a bigger town where there was a GW. To this day I still dont know where my origional RTs we but I have always missed them and have always dreamt of replacing them.
So after joining the Oldhammer page it didn't take much looking before I found their trading page and now I'm a little older and more able to get these rarer things (ie I have a wage) I decided to take the plunge and start seeing what a new old gamer could find, eventually as a result ended up being the proud owner of this little lot:

I still have a few other bits to come in the post and once they arrive I will be sharing them with you, I have a few plans for the force including some modelling/painting options for a few characters but the one thing that is alluding me is what chapter to paint these guys as!
Any suggestions or thoughts on the chapter that will get some ancients join there ranks would be great so once organised I can start assembling the RT force of my young dreams
There are more images and more background on these models on my blog here so please feel free to pop over and have a look:
http://millests.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/2015-lets-party-or-at-least-model-like.html

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
That's some old school stuff, I wish my shades were rosily tinted enough to appreciate what I never experienced... but I got into the hobby firmly into the 2000s.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yeah this makes me feel like I just got into the hobby too... and that was 1999 when the battlebox was still DE and SM. Would love to see some paint on these guys... well maybe not, I dunno, lol.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
man, those things are almost old as me! waiting to see some paintwork on the board!

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
Definitely Crimson Fists! There is no other way to go.

And here's why:

I bought several beakie boxes back in the proverbial "day." And I still have a unit around somewhere. =)

I'm looking forward to seeing this marines, dread, and librarian terminator all done up!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Definitely Crimson Fists! There is no other way to go.

And here's why:

I bought several beakie boxes back in the proverbial "day." And I still have a unit around somewhere. =)

I'm looking forward to seeing this marines, dread, and librarian terminator all done up!

I went on a similar buying spree, just for the sake of those "old memories" ... :scratchhead: suddenly I ended up with a little more of a full company of rogue trader marines (plastic+metal)!

Now, I have to paint them ... when I get some break from real-life! :p

·
Unhinged Hobo
2,341 Posts
I fancy an assault squad or terminator squad but having difficulty identifying age appropriate models
You are probably already using it but the stuff of legends web page is a great resource for identifying old models. As far as the termies are concerned you need to pay attention to shoulder pads and back vents. The pads are less rounded , more oblong, and the vents are considerably deeper than their second edition counterparts. This was adjusted slightly after space hulk but at that point you're already heading into second edition anyway.

http://solegends.com/citcat1989/cat1989p047-02.htm

·
Registered
4 Posts
still drawn to crimson fists, don't know why, maybe as I have a ton of power fists in there lol. more models are arriving daily but still looking to expand, I fancy an assault squad or terminator squad but having difficulty identifying age appropriate models

As far as the models go, I am not sure you can find Rogue trader Terminators to fill all the modern version slots! If I recall correctly, lighting claws, thunder hammers / storm shields were introduced much later! At the Rogue Trader-era the Terminators were (fluff-wise) used for space-hulk oriented combat, hence they were (as metioned above) roundier, more robust and they had only storm bolters, assault cannons and H. Flamer.

No, if you are after conversion material I have to warn you that the old terminators are a tad smaller in size than the new ones! oh! and did I mention that they are metalic? (Don't know your greenstuffing expertise so I thought you should know!)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well after a quiet few days waiting for various packages and parcels the core of the force has finally turned up and now to start showing off some of the units pre-paint.
Today is the turn of the devastator squad, this is mainly made up of a core of metal models and 5 of the plastic RTB01s from the third squad in my first RTB post here. That squad has some in useful as with a few extra trades they have now filled out this unit and put together some donor models for a random squad of five (more on them later in the blog).
Here are the models that are forming the base of my heavy weapons teams.

there are more pics and info about the models and the choices of them on the blog here:
http://millests.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/time-for-some-support-rt-devastators-on.html

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A Commanding View - RT Era Command squad arrives
Following on from yesterdays post the models for my command squad arrived, whilst these are RT era models (i know some are a tad newer but still pre 1995) I will be running them using the latest codex rules hence this unit.
So here are the models picked up for my command Squad, more pics and info are on the blog here:
http://millests.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/a-commanding-view-rt-era-command-squad.html

An interesting little mix of models spanning the whole range of early GW metal marines, there's no real rhyme or reason to the mix but i just like the models.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The "bad" thing about those RT miniatures is that they sometimes have some very robust poses and details are somewhat lacking when compared with the modern miniatures!
I have to agree with the other members, that said it previously,I can't wait to see them with some paint on!
What color scheme are you going to go with?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Following on from the command squad posted last week this week I took delivery of several command figures to act as leaders and centres to my force.
again possibly not all RT but all certainly pre-2nd edition from what i can tell

there might only be three of them but they will certainly pack a punch when it comes to finally getting a colour on them!
speaking of which, more pics and details of the picked chapter are on the blog here:
http://millests.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/more-commandments-rt-era-command-figures.html

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Nice. I love the RT stuff and wish I had been around to play it :p. One thing caught my eye though on your Blog. You said Crimson Fists are the Oldest chapter? what do you mean by that? Crimson fists are a second founding chapter from the Imperial fists. Or are you talking about them in terms of GW's convoluted timeline (since they liked to change things fluff wise at random it seemed).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts