Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty Fantasy Herestics, Round 2, semi finals, is now on our way! To both players of this match, please PM me your tactics. Once I have both your tactics, then I'll be able to open up this match and we can get started on the voting! (of course, I'll roll the magic first :wink:)

Round 2 Match 1- Wolf Lord Skoll vs Vaz

The Great Highlands

Wolf Lord Skoll will be deploying at the top table edge, while Vaz will take the bottom table edge

Wolf Lord Skoll

The Defenders of Ulthuan

HEROES

Hero 1: "Calasari" High Elf Mage: 185
-Lv 2 upgrade
-Silver Wand
-2x Dispel Scrolls
Note: Use High Magic. Spell preference: 2,1,4,3,5,6

Hero 2:High Elf Noble: 143
- Battle Standard Bearer
- Armour of Caledor
- Great Weapon

CORE

Core 1: 15x Spearmen: 160
-Full Command

Core 1: 15x Spearmen: 160
-Full Command

(accidently put the cost for 20 strong >_<)

SPECIAL

Special 1: 15x Phoenix guard: 305
-Full Command
-Banner of Sorcercy

Special 2: 5x Shadow Warriors: 80

Special 2: 5x Shadow Warriors: 80

Special 2: 5x Dragon Princes w/ Standard Bearer and Banner of Ellyrion: 185

RARE

Rare 1: Bolt Thrower: 100

Rare 1: Bolt Thrower: 100

Army Total: 1498

Power Dice (+Power Stones): 4+D3/0
Dispel Dice (+Dispel Scrolls): 3/2
Notes: +1 to Dispel

VS

Vaz

Army Name: Spawn of Kholek

Special Notes
- Karnaks Spell Preference - (Lore of Nurgle) - 2, 6, 1, 5, 4, 3. (Against Dwarves Bretonnia, and Lizardmen, change the order of 1 and 4 around).
- Power Dice - 4 (2 Basic, 1xL2 Sorceror)
- Power Stones - 0
- Dispel Dice - 3 (2 Basic, 1xL2 Sorceror)
- Dispel Scrolls - 0
- Notes - Will of Chaos

HEROES

Hero 1: (Karnak Headsplitter): (225pts)
- (Sorceror Level 2, Mark of Nurgle, Infernal Puppet, Palanquin)

CORE

Core 1: (Suneater Tribesmen): (157pts)
- (23 Marauders, Mark of Khorne, Great Weapons, Standard Bearer, Musician)

Core 2: (Stormbather Tribesmen): (182pts)
- (28 Marauders, Mark of Khorne, Great Weapons, Standard Bearer, Musician)

Core 3: (Chieftains of the Suneaters): (116pts)
- (5 Marauder Horsemen, Flails, Mark of Nurgle, Light Armour, Musician)

Core 4: (Chieftains of the Stormbathers): (116pts)
- (5 Marauder Horsemen, Flails, Mark of Nurgle, Light Armour, Musician)

SPECIAL

Special 1: Spawn of Kholek: (231pts)
- (3 Dragon Ogres, Great Weapons)

Special 2: (Warp Drakes): (231pts)
- (3 Dragon Ogres, Great Weapons)

Special 3: (Avatars of the Suneater): (239pts)
- (3 Dragon Ogres, Additional Hand Weapons, Champion)

Army Total: (1497pts)

Good luck to both players!

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Tactics for this match has been sent in to me! Now Round 2 is officially up!

Here be ye old(but apparently "young" =/")Wolf Lord Skoll's Tactics
Wolf_Lord_Skoll said:
Note: When I say left side of the board I’m referring to the side with rocks, that is, the left of the board when looking at it on screen. Just in case it I somehow manage to make it confusing later.
Deployment:
Okay, I will deploy both bolt throwers on the left of the hill of the hill, giving them a fairly clear view of the battlefield. On their left will be the shadow warriors, who will still be on the hill. The shadow warriors will have a gap between them to try and stop small overrun charges. My Dragon Princes will deploy near my table edge on the left side of the map, the left flank of the unit against the rocks and the right side against the table edge, facing at about 45 degrees. The Spearmen will set up 7 wide, as they will need to cause as many wounds as possible in order to prevent return attacks. The spearmen with the ASB will deploy in line with the middle hill, up against the hill in my deployment zone. The phoenix guard will deploy next to them on the right and the other spearmen on the right side of the phoenix guard. All three combat blocks will have their front ranks in line.

Movement:
Vaz is likely to send his main force up on the right hand side of the field, with the marauder horsemen and a unit of dragon ogres up on the left side. If he does this, then I will angle the ASB unit slightly to block the passage between the middle hill and my hill, while forcing units coming over the hill to make a frontal charge. Then I would move the phoenix guard up to protect the ASB half exposed flank. The mages unit of spearmen will move up to support the phoenix guards flank. The Dragon Princes will threaten units that wish to charge the main battle line’s flank, while trying to avoid a charge from the Dragon Ogres. However, if the Dragon Ogres line up for a charge, I will charge the Dragon Princes into them.
If the main force moves up on the right and the marauder horsemen move up on the left unsupported then the Dragon Princes will intercept them instead.
If the main force moves up on the left with Marauder horsemen and no more than one unit of Dragon Ogres on the right, then the ASB’s unit will turn until they are perpendicular to the hills. The Phoenix Guard will move up next to them. The other spearmen will protect their left flank using the phoenix guard and angle off to protect my hill. The Dragon Princes will threaten his marauder’s flanks and avoid dragon ogre charges, but again, if they are likely to get charged by the Dragon Ogres they won’t think twice about charging.
If he comes up each side evenly, then the plan will be much the same as if he was moving up on the left, except the phoenix guard will be facing forward and behind the line of the other two units, so as to counter charge any unit attacking a flank, kind of like this: --- / where the lines are the spearmen and the dotted one is the phoenix guards front (though it would be a bit closer to the bottom)

Magic:
I will only be mainly casting drain magic and shield of Saphery in this game. I’ll split PD between them, in the turns without combat an odd number of dice will result in Drain magic having more, while Shield of Saphery will be used to protect my units in combat. In the first few turns without combats Shield of Saphery will be cast on the mages unit, to protect the mage from nurgle magic. After that, I will cast Shield of Sahery on the unit facing the toughest combat, so long as the combat looks winnable. Spearmen are the most likely target for Shield as they are the ones holding my line. If for some reason the Nurgle Sorcerer cannot cast, then I will stop using Drain Magic and use Courage of Anerarion cast on a unit that is likely to lose combat by a long margin.

Shooting:
My shooting will be directed mainly at the dragon ogres, trying to weaken them a bit before the inevitable impact.

Next is Vaz's Tactics:
First Impressions
Could have been a better map, to be honest, especially against 2 Bolt Throwers, and a couple of Shadow Warriors. Luckily, though, I'm at the bottom of the map, and hence have the split hills on my side, denying the split fire, of the Bolt Throwers. Looking at his previous tactics, the Shadow Warriors will likely cover the Bolt Throwers, especially against the Marauder Cavalry, and it makes me wish I had forked out for some Throwing Axes, or Javelins. As Squishy Elves don't take well to Str 5 Charges. I'm also quite lucky in that the spells didn't go Wolf Lord Skoll's way, especially as things like Flames of the Phoenix can really ruin my Marauders day.

Deployment
One of the Dragon Ogre Units with Great Weapons will be a direct counter to the Dragon Princes - their 1+ Save will not keep them alive against Str 7 attacks. The Phoenix Guard will be countered by the Dragon Ogre unit with 2 Hand Weapons. The Other Dragon Ogre unit will be against a Spearmen unit.

The Marauder Cavalry will be far and away on the Far left side of the Battlefield, coming up around the back of the High Elf Line, flanking the enemy, or taking out the Ranged Support.

Marauder Units just deploy behind the Dragon Ogres, hidden by their frontage. Karnak goes in the smaller unit, as always.

Movement
The Dragon Ogres facing off against the Dragon Princes will hold off until they can either force a charge from, and catch a flank, or force the Princes to charge. However, it doesn't matter too much over the Charge, other than that their Str5 Charge is wasted against the T5 and 4 wounds of the Dragon Ogres.

Everything else just moves as far forward as they can, with the Marauder Horsemen sweeping round the back.

Magic
The High Elf Magic is a real dampener. However, they have a useful spell, the Shield of Asur, which he will probably cast with the 3 dice he can afford.

In return, the 4 dice I have will be focused on attempting to reduce the toughness of the Crew of the Bolt Throwers, as they are so small it's not worth the risk, but they are easily destroyed, and it'll either drain the Dispel Dice for me to cast Buboes at the Wizard, as the Standard of Sorcery is in a unit =(.

Shooting
Ite.

Melee
The Phoenix Guard, with their Annoying Ward Save, will only lose 1 or 2 from a charge of the Marauders, and even less from the resultant rounds. However, against the Dragon Ogres, there are 6-7 hits, all but one of which wound, killing a couple or more. It's a basic war of Attrition, and although the Standards, outnumber and what not are present, I'll still get the wounds in. The General's main role will be to keep them in line, with his Ld of 8, should they lose the combat.

The Spearmen can really get the chowdown on my Marauders, so the sooner they are cleared out, the better. The First unit taken on by the Great Weapon Dragon Ogres will be heavily outclassed - hitting on 4's wounding on 6's with 16 attacks says I have 1, maybe 2 if I'm unlucky wounds coming at me - with the Firepower, maybe I've lost one or two wounds already, but it's unlikely I'll lose too many.
Once again, good luck to all players!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Im gonna have to give this to vaz after some consideration. after contemplation i dont think the bolt throwers will be strong enough to counter the ogres and by the shear number of them and their fast move im seeing a lot death in the future of the high elves.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
Just to point out Bolt Throwers weaknesses - Maximum D3 wounds, on a 4 wound creature, with 7" move. Also, the D6 hits are Str 4 aganist a T5 model.

Also, the only counter charges that will have any effect are Dragon Princes, and those are being shadowed by Str7 creatures. Spearmen lose all their bonuses on the attack, as they already have ASF.

Not to mention I have just gone for a straight through the middle approach, while his deployment is aimed at countering a move round the flank. Splitting his forces. Not to mention a 45 degree Angle is the worst, as it can allow with a slight movement to allow a flank charge. 60 degrees is better for a defensive set up ;D

·
Registered
453 Posts
I might have a misprint WOC armybook, but my Dragon Ogres are just T4, which makes them a lot squishier against the bolt throwers and the Dragon Princes Countercharge.
Dispite this it's still a close call, yet I think Vaz has just enough wounds for the Dragonogres to win the combat, but only just.

·
Registered
992 Posts
there is no way wolf can stop all those dragon ogers. vaz is also coming striaght up the middle, effectivly cutting wolf's force in two-and i know how bad that is!
vaz gets my vote.

·
Must keep painting....
2,977 Posts
I am going to have to vote for Vaz too. I don't think life is going to be peachy for the dragon ogres, but once they get to Wolf he will struggle to keep a lid on their destructiveness I suspect. I do think Wolf will do a lot of damage to Vaz's force, but Vaz has the right units to weather that storm and come out on top, just.

·
Must keep painting....
2,977 Posts
I might have a misprint WOC armybook, but my Dragon Ogres are just T4
Wait, so are Dragon Orges T4 or T5
Unless my copy of the armybook is a misprinted version, which I highly doubt, they are T4.
oh, cos i would have guesstimated them being t5 (you know, cos they are dragon ogers.
Dragon Ogres are T4.

Any chance we can get a few more votes here please guys? I know more than 4 people have looked at this thread! :p Feel free to ask questions if you are unfamiliar with any models or rules, etc. It is best if we can get lots of votes as it is a much more rewarding experience for the contestants if plenty of people join in and vote.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.