Vulture Gunship, TL Punishers 155
2 Wyverns 130
total: 1260

CSM Detachment
Typhus 230
35 Plague Zombies 150
3 Obliterators 210
total: 590

So I'm a being a bit cheesy here (and I will not have a debate on infiltration) using Cypher to infiltrate one of the best troop choices in the game - 35 fearless zombies. I'm going to back them up by having a chimera move quickly forward with RRs following. Those zombies can H+R when needed to at I8 - whoopee. I might DS the oblits or I can if I like just walk em up a flank firing away.

I just wanted a renegade guard army and I really like Rough Riders. What do you think.

·
Registered
268 Posts
*twitch*. I'll try to ignore the fact that you're cheating.

Cypher's shrouded, ATSKNF and hit & run are largely wasted on the zombies. They want to be in combat (where you get no benefit from shrouding) and losing zombies to shooting means very little as they are really just a delivery vehicle for Typhus. I can't think of any case where you would want to hit and run other than maybe to charge again. The zombies are also fearless by themselves so you're wasting ATSKNF. All Cypher really adds to the unit is a few power weapon and bolt pistol attacks.

I don't remember if Cypher is battle bros with AM but he would benefit the blob much more. Shrouded is great as they want to get into a lasgun fight. Since you haven't included a priest nor power axes the hit and run will be needed to leave combat to rapid fire again. Cypher makes the commissar redundant so I'd consider a way to use the points elswhere. Although his ld10 bubble might be good to keep your Rough Riders from routing.

Which brings me to the rough riders. The double flamer unit, sure I'm down with that. The 2 meltas... Not so much. You're going to get maybe 1 melta hit for 75pts. That is IF your 5 T3 5+ models make it to your target. They are the obvious targets for anti infantry weaponry. If you can find an extra 15pts you've got a CSM fast attack slot for 3 much more hardy and mobile bikes with bs4 melta guns. I'd advocate for melta bombs as well.

I love rough riders as well although the only useful setup I've found is 10 with Mogul. Fearless is so necessary to get them to combat and rage + furious charge finally made them worth their points. However with that gone you might be able to make up for the lack of fearless with the Commissar bubble.

Your Chimera is the lone vehicle on the table to start with so I would not expect it to get anywhere. I would for sure start the Obliterators on the table in an attempt to draw some lascannon/lance fire away from the Chimera. To that point, you need mark of Nurgle to protect against instant death from those types of weapons!

You're incredibly vulnerable to first blood from the naked PCS and 5 man Rough Rider units. Also at risk is the Chimera if you're charging it forward rather than sitting in cover.

The Vulture and Wyvrens seem great to reach backfield infantry that you may not reach with lasguns or combat.

However I'm slighty worried that you only have 2 real sources of anti-tank. First turn you could easily lose the PCS and melta Rough Riders, losing you split fire. So you'd be left shooting at only 2 targets every turn. While you have a high chance at killing anything you shoot at, any sort of vehicle spam will put you in a hard position. Even Rhino spam would be difficult. God forbid you run into wave serpents!

Also, how do you plan on dealing with av12 fliers?

All that being said kudos for trying AM/CSM with rough riders. They all hold a special place in my heart ;).

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The point of Cypher is to infiltrate Typhus and Zombies. He can be used with AM or Chaos, BTW. But yes, Cypher can be used in a blob and that blob could even outflank. This will be a choice made when playing the list and looking at my opponent's list. So with that in mind I've made some minor alterations as you have suggested ...

Astra Militarum
Yarrick ( Goes w/ Blob and modeled as renegade Commissar) 145
Cypher 190 (Goes w/ Typhus and Zombies or can outflank with the Blob)
PCS , 50 Man Blob, 4 Lascannons, 2 Power Axes, Priest, Psyker Lvl 2 490
2x 5 Rough Riders, 2 Meltaguns 150
Vulture Gunship, TL Punishers 155
2 Wyverns 130
total: 1260

CSM Detachment
Typhus 230
35 Plague Zombies 150
3 Obliterators 210
total: 590

So the listv hs four lascannons, four meltas and the three obliterator weapons. Add the punisher gatling and the wyverns and it should have the dakka needed to survive. As for Cypher with zombies. Typhus will be casting some powers and Cypher will be shooting. Between them they will do some damage and just leaving them alone would not be wise for my opponent. He will have to try and shift them methinks. So I see Cypher as a good tool to infiltrate the zombies.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts