Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, I got my computer back up and running and took the time to rework what I had originally posted.

HQ
Space Marine Captain - 100

100 pts

Troops
Tactical Squad - 310
5 men
Power Fist
Plasma Gun
Razorback
Stormbolter
-5 men
-Lascannon
-Rhino
-Hunter-Killer

Tactical Squad - 310
5 men
Power Fist
Plasma Gun
Razorback
Stormbolter
-5 men
-Lascannon
-Rhino
-Hunter-Killer

Tactical Squad - 310
5 men
Power Fist
Plasma Gun
Razorback
Stormbolter
-5 men
-Lascannon
-Rhino
-Hunter-Killer

1060 pts

Heavy Support
Predator - 165
Twin-Linked Lascannon
Lascannon side sponsons

Predator - 85
Autocannon
Heavy Bolter side sponsons

Predator - 85
Autocannon
Heavy Bolter side sponsons

I stopped shy of 1500 in anticipation of criticism so I have some room to beef up here and there.

My idea here is to get a good amount of models onto the table without sacrificing the firepower needed to neutralize enemy's big threats. I'm planning on having the troops all combat squaded with lascannons in rhinos and sending the sgts/plasma forward. Rhinos will control objectives on my side of table/pop transports and priority targets. Predators will soften up targets before I insert my sgt/plasma squads to clean up.

So far I'm worried about having the firepower to take down some of the more costly elites. Can you veterans give me some incite?

*Edit* If you see something is lacking, give me some guidance don't just say it is so. ;) Thanks =)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hmm.....As a rule I hate plasma weapons. I never much luck with them and as such I prefer meltaguns. I also prefer the ML over the Lascannon, as the ML gives you the ability vs. horde as well as anti-armor.

What did you give to your Captain? If he's naked, I would def use some of the remaining 90p to beef him up.

I'm not sure what the additional Transports are for, as they don't seem to be attached to anyone......if thats the case I would use those points towards some Elites units:

Sternguard, Dreadnoughts, Terminators.....

I like the 3 Preds.....

You seem to not be lacking too much in the shooty area, but your CC is bad. If you get rushed, or outflanked, and forced in close, against Orks, or anyone assault heavy you may get smashed, Preds or no Preds.

·
Registered
287 Posts
just one thing if u want a 100 point hq choice swap Cpt for Libby (he already has force weapon 2 abilities of ur choice :D --> no inv save but well)

Correct me if i got this wrong u have ur 10 man tac combat squad and than u put each squad in transport?

i really do not like plasma i would choose Melta instead

i would put also some flamers to have a counter against hordes

just my 2 cents

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes the troop choices will be combat squaded and put into transports. The razorbacks will move forward with their HB and the sgt/plasma. The rhinos will sit in the back with the lascannons for transport popping and priority targets/late game mobility.

I agree with changing my captain. That was a bad decision on my part. Ill either go librarian or chaplain going to depend on what I do with my remaining points.

Other than the chance to die, why does everyone hate plasma? I understand it has a poorer AV value but I figured with my lascannons and autocannons I will need more weapons I can use to kill well armored infantry which IMHO 1 shot at 24" and 2 at 12" is better than 1 at 12".

·
Registered
287 Posts
well ok on plasma but taking combi weapon that u shoot only once anyway and than it's a bolter IMO flamer or melta are superior --> for flamer ur sure to hit the opponent and melta gives u more probable armour kill than plasma
correct me if i am worng

and i didn't know that u can give two transports to one troop choice...

if ur afraid of armour maybe some LS with MM/HF would be a thing to go?
how do you feel about that

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Good point on the Combis. Ill take them out to save points.

For the speeders, Im certainly considering a fast attack option. I haven't decided what I will use because my list is still being tweaked. What Im looking at now are either assault troops minus jump packs in a rhino, bikes with meltas, landspeeder storm with melta and 5 ccw scouts for fast contesting, or a land speeder squadron which you suggested.

As far as the transports go, I didn't see any rules stipulating the number of dedicated transports you could take. Can anyone shed some light on if what I've done here is legal or not?

From what I can tell, only 3 of my 6 transports will be truly dedicated and therefore count as scoring units themselves. The other 3 will just be transports I chose to embark troops on and be nonscoring. Correct?

·
Registered
287 Posts
if u want my opinion on MM bike vs MM/HF LS ---> i would go with LS
again more versatile u can pop transports and armour but also harass some mobs

Storm Scouts = scouts with CCW and PF srg in LS storm are great mobile fast hitting option
u can either scare off units like Lootas or destroy vehicles (scout movement + charge gives u roughly 44' of charge if u go first, if not u flank)

i've never liked idea of assault troops in non assault vehicle...
for marines i find assault terminators with mix of TH SS and LC in LR a good choice but u can not forget to support them with something and protect them form suicide melta squads

as for the transport rule i have no idea...

good hunting

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah yes good point about the assault marines in a rhino. So many cost/benefits to each unit its hard to keep the pro/cons straight in my head.

·
Registered
287 Posts
i am not sure because my dex is in french but it says that

the squad of SM can take one rhino or one razorback as a dedicated transport
and apparently u can not have a vehicle from dedicated transport without a squad

ex. u can't take one 10 man tac squad with 2 razorbacks
but u can take one 10 man sqad combat sqad them and have on razorback

i would quote but... (if u speak french i will just let me know)

the rules i am reffering to are in tac squad description p.134
and 135 just under Dedicated Tranosport top of the page

good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts